Man Overboard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
As I slowly crossed over a railroad track on my '04 FJR today I heard a rattle from the front end. I stopped to take a peek and found that my Fenda Extenda was about to fall off.

I installed the F-E in Feb '04 with a generous coating of Oatey All-Purpose Cement (for PVC, ABS, CPVC).

If you attached your F-E with cement it might be good to yank on it occasionally to verify that it's still firmly attached.

Sounds like a good idea, as one of my last rides I ran about ten to fifteen miles in gravel and could hear the rocks rolling thru the fender. I used some gasket material called the Right Stuff to stick mine on with, it's held for twenty five thousand miles.

I just checked mine. 62,000 miles through desert and over moutains in wind, rain and some sleet on freeways, highways, secondary roads, over potholes and through construction zones....it's still tightly attached.

:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one a while back and can't come to just glueing it on. I feel like I should use additional fasteners of some sort. 62,000 miles with it on thats impressive. If I ship you my fender well you glue it for me. Then I will want to rivet it or bolt on for added security.

Well I'm keeping an eye on mine as I went with the "glue only" (Oakley PVC/ABS ) approach. I did rough up both surfaces with some coarse sandpaper first, used some alcohol to clean everything off and then clamped it overnight. Hope that's the ticket for it to stay on...but now ya'll got me paranoid. :unsure:

Well I'm keeping an eye on mine as I went with the "glue only" (Oakley PVC/ABS ) approach. I did rough up both surfaces with some coarse sandpaper first, used some alcohol to clean everything off and then clamped it overnight. Hope that's the ticket for it to stay on...but now ya'll got me paranoid. :unsure:
Preparation is the key. After removing the double stick tape I cleaned the surfaces of mine with some scouring mesh (scotchbrite, because the fender is painted, not molded in color) and dried them thoroughly with a hair dryer then glued and clamped the assembly overnight.

Like I typed above, it's been working fine though I check it weekly when I clean the bike. If it comes off I will re-glue it, if I lose it I'll buy another. I figure this mileage and time (since Aug '04) is pretty good service.

Mine was apparently attached with PVC cement or the likes by the PO. When I smacked the Bambi last month the front fender was ripped off the forks, snapped in equal halves, and the fenda extenda cleanly popped off and was lying separately in the road. I snapped it up for possible re-use. It has a few superficial scratches on it but I figured it's just a friggen mudflap... ;)

This past week, I cleaner her up reel gud-like with Goo Gone solvent, and then cleaned the inside of the new fender with the solvent as well, in the area they would mate. Then I used some Goop brand Marine grade contact cement to glue it up. Seems like it made a good bond and should hold OK.

Big thing here is the prep and glue That all purpose stuff really isn't all that great on ABS plastic. I've had several failures over the years using "universal" glue

They won't allow us to use it when plumbing with ABS. Only stuff rated for that duty.

Mines been on since may of '05.. no problems

YMMV..

:jester:

I rode with artistic rider last weekend and his fenda extenda fell off...no longer there. He says he prepped it like the suggestions on the 'net told him to....not sure if it was this board or FJRTech he followed.

Big thing here is the prep and glue That all purpose stuff really isn't all that great on ABS plastic. I've had several failures over the years using "universal" glueThey won't allow us to use it when plumbing with ABS. Only stuff rated for that duty.

Mines been on since may of '05.. no problems

YMMV..

Barry, I didn't know you were in the piping trades, just retired from running Pipefitting Division of Phoenix Metro Mechanical for 22 years. You're absolutely right about failures with "universal" glue, even an excellent glue vendor such as Oatey is!

Metro Mechanical, Inc. only bought Oatey solvents and cements, they are absolutely the very best. My friend Dave Cooley, BMW GS rider, headed up our Plumbing Division and we were always on our Apprentices and even some of our Journeymen about using the correct product for the proper application. Some of the Fitters could not grasp using the right glue for ABS.

My Fenda-Extenda has been on Miss Lucy Liu since May of 2004 with no problems, did a very careful sand/primer and prep!

https://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/instance...LACK_CEMENT.pdf This is the "preferred" ABS Cement allowable in the State of Arizona when glueing up ABS!

Don,

In, out, and around the trades for near thirty years.. Yeah I was just a kid when I got my start :lol:

Hey Fred.. I gotta pipe for ya :fuck: :blum:

I used the extra special Black (only because it's what I had on hand, don't think there's enough difference between it and the regular to worry about) no primer, just a really good pre clean with denatured alcohol and a through scuffing with some 150 grit or a new scotch brite pad.

I ain't saying they won't fall off, but it appears as though mine will most likely break the fender first.

Yeppers. lost my Fenda Ext. after 25,000 miles. Heard the rattle, kept riding, next thing I know it shot out in front of me hit the road sliding right in my travel line. As it's speed slowed and I kept a straight line down the highway it tried to reattach itself as my front tire rolled over it kicking it up onto my bike once again. It finally let go and the rear tire ended it's life.

It't replacement is held on with Loctite 5 minute 2 part epoyx.

Now I always yank on my extention before I ride.