manicsalamander vs throttlemeister

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McRuss

Reaction score
Did the obligatory search, nothing found. So....has anyone used either of these? And how do they differ in operation if anyone knows. I know how the manicsalamander works, just not sure of the throttlemeister operation. They are similar in price but still expensive (compared to a Vista Cruise.) Advantage to me would be the weight to cut vibes that are putting my throttle hand to sleep.

Yes I have had both and now use the Throttlemeister! Both seem well made but I think the design of the meister is more effective? I have 2008 with stock heated grips and Grip puppies. After many trials with getting the salamander just right I couldn't get it to hold for more than a few seconds? The miester on the other hand does a much better job of holding rpm's? I just use it for a little right hand relief so don't need more than a couple of minutes or so? When I bought my bike new and after reading this Forum about throttle tension I immediately took the one wrap out of my return spring so now there is very little tension in my throttle? In hind sight I don't think I needed to take the wrap out but now I really like the lack of tension even without the lock on? A friend of mine who is no longer with us (cancer), used to ride at times on the RCMP Kawasaki 1000 which they tried a few years back and on that machine I think they called it a "dead man" throttle with almost no spring return I guess to allow them to be able to use both hands for other things as required? After this long dissertation I vote Throttlemeister!

I use the Throttlemeister. Once dialed in, it has a very short throw and holds the throttle to overcome spring pressure, and moves full-on to full-off in about 45-degrees of rotation . I am able to go many miles on level terrain at steady speed, or leave it engaged and make only small modulations in rolling terrain. Never used a MS throttle lock, it looks very similar.

McRuss

I have a much cheaper and simpler suggestion. Give the GoCruise a try. It's only $20 and from my experience as effective as the Manic Salamander. Yet safer, in my opinion. Very easy to override. As an AE owner, I realize that I just can't pull in a clutch to control a stuck throttle. Don't ask me how I know, it resulted in a near disaster and I went down in a sandy parking lot.

Bob

Bob ~ Not meaning to be a smart-ass, but why would you have had your throttle lock engaged while in a sandy parking lot? :eek:

I use Throttlemeister. I purchased the heavy/machined version hoping, like you, to rid my throttle hand of that tingling sensation. That still happens but at least now I can lock the throttle and remove my hand (when it's safe) to stop the tingling. It works good and is a top quality, well made American product. BUT, if you just want to reduce the tingling sensation, try a $10 cramp buster. It's a small, black plastic round piece that slides over the throttle and the rider can loosen his/her grip and uses the palm of the trottle hand to control the throttle.

dsmack

No offense taken. Apparently the Manic Salamander was inadvertently activated while maneuvering the FJR into the lot. It just takes little twist on the MS end weight to set it. I didn't realize what was going on and just applied the front brakes while the rear tire started throwing sand and I started to lose my balance and went down on my left side. Only damage was to my ego, and some scuffing of the stator cover from some gravel in the sand. When we picked it up and restarted it, it was idling very high and I noticed the throttle lock was engaged.

MS has very strong warnings that throttle locks can be very dangerous and they are absolutely correct. In my opinion the GoCruise takes a bit more conscious effort to engage.

Bob

Did the obligatory search, nothing found. So....has anyone used either of these? And how do they differ in operation if anyone knows. I know how the manicsalamander works, just not sure of the throttlemeister operation. They are similar in price but still expensive (compared to a Vista Cruise.) Advantage to me would be the weight to cut vibes that are putting my throttle hand to sleep.
You didn't try too hard now did you. ;)
Try searching Google like this: <site:fjrforum.com vista cruise>, that'll get some good hits, like the one here. Vista Cruise etc.

McRuss

I have a much cheaper and simpler suggestion. Give the GoCruise a try. It's only $20 and from my experience as effective as the Manic Salamander. Yet safer, in my opinion. Very easy to override. As an AE owner, I realize that I just can't pull in a clutch to control a stuck throttle. Don't ask me how I know, it resulted in a near disaster and I went down in a sandy parking lot.

Bob
Bob ~ Not meaning to be a smart-ass, but why would you have had your throttle lock engaged while in a sandy parking lot? :eek:
Gunny!
Maybe it's just me but I'd never use a throttle lock on city streets and definitely not a small parking lot. But that's me I'm a little cautious. I never had an issue ever returning to off throttle with the locks on. Granted in a panic things happen quick and forgetting this could lean towards some issues of why said bike is still going fast compared to no TL on, just sayin'.

**Edit** Bob - I see we posted at about the same time, I understand. ;)

I have had all three and now use two in combination.

1) MS (cost $125) - Pro: Love the fact the bar ends are heavy and it's only a quarter turn! Con: It didn't really grip that well for me no matter what I did including milling down the main insert to bring it closer in to the grip. Road vibration on the freeway concrete expansion joints jolted out of grip quickly.

2) TM (cost $135?) - Pro: Works better than SM. Con: Still slipped out of good grip over time on the freeway, not much time at that. Hated turning the thing, still do, but I'm used to it. Reminds me of my Beemer TL.

3) Vista Cruise (cost $20) - Pro: Works pretty well, using the skooterG method (link above), you can give it throttle and it'll be pretty much at the same spot again. Con: Still slipped out of grip over time.

4) I know have a TM and VC. works great! I use the Vista for extra security to grip, bought it with both that way too. Thought it odd at first, but now I like it! I can easily turn the grip to shut the throttle no problem with both applied.

$ for $ I'd say try a Vista Cruise.

Good luck in your quest.

Last edited by a moderator:
FJR Bluesman,

I don't think that you can use a VistaCruise on an AE. And no I didn't intentionally engage the MS on city streets or a sandy parking lot.

Bob

FJR Bluesman,

I don't think that you can use a VistaCruise on an AE. And no I didn't intentionally engage the MS on city streets or a sandy parking lot.

Bob
Got it! Note my edit above.
There should be no difference of throttles/locks between AE and none AE's. I don't have an AE but I believe the big diff is on the left side (paddle). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Bob's correct. The difference affecting throttle lock selection on an AE is the factory heated grips. I tried to get a Vista Cruise to fit, but there's just no way. The heated grip is a bit thicker. Luckily I was able to return the Vista Cruise, but I still haven't got around to ordering a ThrottleMeister. I do have the $20 GoCruise, but I rarely use it. It doesn't hold very well in my experience, so can't set it and forget it. But it does let you give your throttle hand an occasional break.

AE Owner here (heated grips). Those who own and/or complain about TM's not holding the grip must not have it installed correctly, or you have a faulty set. With no throttle spring release or mods, the TM lasts as long as I need it without slipping. I think I've waited 15 minutes (far longer than I needed) without speed or rmp lose. I finally gave up waiting for the TM to give in. Years later no mods and no adjustments, same results.

I can not see ever having an inadvertent throttle lock. That is about the only annoyance with the TM, setting is not hard, but not simple.

I have a TM and it works OK when its adjusted nice and tight so it doesn't take more than a 1/4 turn. When they get sloppier than that tighten the bolt on the end and it should take up the slack. That being said, i miss my VC. It was nice being able to just lock it and release it with my thumb. I only ever had to tighten up the VC but once a year or less.

I saw a post way back where someone made a VC work on an AE by cutting and sanding down the heated throttle grip till it fit. I may try it myself if i don't have to sacrifice the grip.

Thanks to all who replied with and without sarcasm... :D I had already tried the VC and know that is not an option (I had one on my '04, worked great.) I believe I will go with the TM after all is said and done. Oh, BTW, I released the big throttle spring (not just one turn) and it made very little difference in the effort required to turn the throttle. I did the same thing on my '04 and it helped a great deal. I also use a 'wrist rest' to alleviate some of the effort but do need to occasionally let go and shake out the 'sleepies'. Again, thanks to the forum.