MB Horns Quit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrapeApe

Reaction score
I have an 06A fitted with MB horns and FJRandy's harness. Yesterday, it sat in a heavy rainstorm, then I rode home through more heavy rain. Today I noticed the horns quit. Pulled the battery cover off and found all connections secure and noticed that the relay clicks when horn button is pushed. I don't have a meter here but I can bring one home tomorrow. In the mean time, any suggestions?

+1. Chances are they are full of water or road splloge. It has been reported before that for grime fills the horns. Some, who live in areas where dirt and leaves wash onto the roadways, have made screens or mesh covers (Like speaker screens) to help alleviate the problem.

+1. Chances are they are full of water or road splloge. It has been reported before that for grime fills the horns. Some, who live in areas where dirt and leaves wash onto the roadways, have made screens or mesh covers (Like speaker screens) to help alleviate the problem.
madmike2 has hit it on the button. My first set of MB's went from blowing over tractor-trailers to sounding like a mouse caught by a cat. It happened after I washed the bike and water got up into the horns.

I used contact cement to glue audio speaker grill cloth to the openings of a new set of MB's and have had no problem since.

Ron

I have an 06A fitted with MB horns and FJRandy's harness. Yesterday, it sat in a heavy rainstorm, then I rode home through more heavy rain. Today I noticed the horns quit. Pulled the battery cover off and found all connections secure and noticed that the relay clicks when horn button is pushed. I don't have a meter here but I can bring one home tomorrow. In the mean time, any suggestions?

Thta happened to mine 05, replaced the relay no more click, honk honk! :p

Did you replace MY relay, or one from something you made yourself? Just curious. The relays I use have a failure rate that's ridiculously low.

BTW...I'd love to see a pic of the position of those horns that failed.

ScrapeApe??

Did you replace MY relay, or one from something you made yourself? Just curious. The relays I use have a failure rate that's ridiculously low.

ScrapeApe??
I have not yet received the replacement fuse holder. I don't beleive that the horns failed-there is no power present at horns when switch is depressed. I'll try and post pics, but my install just about mirrors the one you (FJRandy) did recently on the AE.

This is a timely thread, because I mounted (with Randy's harness--Hi, Randy) two Fiamm "Freeway Blaster" horns about a month ago, and just this week it seemed to me that they weren't as ear-splitting. I was bragging to a buddy that my horns would light up an SUV, but when I hit the horn, all he could say was "It sounds like a car horn."

Is this a maintenance issue, or am I just imagining it?

JB

This is a timely thread, because I mounted (with Randy's harness--Hi, Randy) two Fiamm "Freeway Blaster" horns about a month ago, and just this week it seemed to me that they weren't as ear-splitting. I was bragging to a buddy that my horns would light up an SUV, but when I hit the horn, all he could say was "It sounds like a car horn."
Is this a maintenance issue, or am I just imagining it?
I had one shit the bed on me, but mine were used when I installed them, got a new set now. Try pulling the plug one at a time and see if one is dorked.

ScrapeApe??

Both horns openings face down, my mistake was the relay for them was just hanging loosley down below the hazard light button and was not protected from water. I moved the replaced one up under the plastic and have not had an issue since, however I have not riding through deep water since the first time either. :p

The relay will click even when a fuse blows, but you'll get no sound. BTW, trimming the plastic bell and side off the horn for easy clearance will diminish the volume. I tried trimming the bell and part of the side from one and it was no louder than stock. I thought the plastic shape was for appearance but apparantly not.