MC cover recommendation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack

Reaction score
We will be spending Dec. thru Feb. in Fla.on the beach and I wanted some ideas on a bike cover to use. The bike will not be garaged and I understand I will need to aggressively keep it cleaned, waxed etc.but thought a cover might also be a good idea.I searched and didn't find this specific question addressed.

Thanks.

Jack.

Walmart used to sell bike covers in their tarp section. They had several sizes. I bought one from them in 2005, and it was of good quality. Low cost too, as is the usual case at Walmart.

Probably made in China.

I've had some BMW badged covers, and they were no better than the one from Walmart.

Purchased a Dowco Guardian, full cover, 5 yr warranty. I used almost every day for the last 4 yrs. At 4 yrs and 11 months, it ripped up the middle when I was removing it. For $10, the replacement is on the way to me.

I like the product, dries fast ( important here on the wet coast), has a vent, 'heat proof' lowers, sewn in windshield pad, easy on and off, and never left a mark on the bike. Unlike the Nelson Rigg UV 2000, which I used twice and then spent 3 hours polishing out the silver residue that it left in the clear coat. But its big, bulky to carry around. Even in the pouch they include.

If you want a much lighter, smaller, half cover, I suggest you consider the Traveller - Size A - from EZ Touring. Well made, colors to choose from and is big enough to let you leave the top case on. (The Guardian will not fit properly with the top case on the bike.)

-Steve

You're going to be on the beach in Florida from December through February and you could have stayed in Kansas City instead? What are you thinking, Jack?

For my two cents worth, I find carrying a bulky bike cover around in my limited cargo space pretty much a waste, but I know a lot of guys do. Perhaps wait till you get to Florida and buy one there--that'll save hauling it one way, at least. If you just want to protect if from salt and sand or whatever, or even keep it out of sight, maybe just buy a big cheap blue plastic tarp at Harbor Freight or somewhere, weight it down with a few bricks or something, and throw it away when you leave. But then, like I said, I don't use or like bike covers.

But how about them Royals? :)

I'd go with the Wallymart cover, cheap, full cover to protect from sun, and if you do want to bring it home, it packs reasonably small. Better than a blue tarp....

I will probably go with the Dowco Guardian, very impressive reviews. Appreciate the help and good feedback.

I've had a Dowco Guardian for almost 20 years that I've used on multiple bikes. Still in good shape and well worth the money.

You stated you are going to be in FL during the winter months and the bike will be garaged. All you need is a cheap nylon XL cover. You can buy it on EBay for next to nothing. Make sure you buy the XL size if you have the bags on the bike. Also make double sure you keep a good wax job on the bike. Always wash the bike prior to waxing.

Be careful in FL., it is flat land central, no hills and few curves. During the winter months there are things called snow birds. They are known to pull out in front of cars, bikes and Palmetto bugs. Don't ask me how I know!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just ordered the Dowco Guardian Weather Plus. The bike will not be garaged, so I wanted something pretty good.

Thanks for the help with this one.

Jack