Me being an influence. Bad or good, I don't know.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gixxerjasen

Reaction score
One of my sportbike friends hit me up the other day asking questions about FJR's and sport touring bikes. I chatted with him a bit about it. A few days later we chatted again and he admitted that he doesn't think he's ready to make the jump to a sport tourer.

On having conversations with his girlfriend she stated that she didn't want to ride on what passes for a pillion seat on the back of a sportbike. He showed her the FJR and she admitted that she'd be willing to consider it.

So yesterday he hits me up again. He's back on the FJR hunt and has found a few. One of the questions he asks me is "Should I be worried about a bike with 20K miles on it?" I give him the standard relpy of "Only if you want to buy a motorcycle that hasn't finished it's break in period."
biggrin.png
He proceeds to ask me to go with him to check it out.

We arrive today and it's in nice condition, a POS Gen II 2008 A model. It's got a scratch on the left side bag but that's it. I have to show the Honda dealer how to open the glove box but soon they've got it rolled out and handed my buddy a loaner helmet. I announce "I'm gonna go suit up, I'm going with you!"
biggrin.png

So we exit the dealership out onto the service road and head down, through an intersection and then we are heading up an on ramp to cruise the interstate a little bit. Eventually we exit so we can head back. I roll up next to him and look over questioning. He knows the questioning look and replies "I like it!!!" I shake my head thinking "You like it? You haven't even tried it yet!" I've assured him that the FJR will get up and go but not like his old liter bike, but it is far from being a slouch.

We make a left and go over the highway and when we turn left onto the service road there's a string of slow moving cars ahead of us, but nobody behind us.
biggrin.png
I honk the horn and when he turns around to look I signal him to drop in behind me. Then I putz along at 10mph in first gear. This goes on for about 30 seconds and still no one behind us. As we approach the long entrance ramp, all the traffic ahead of us is now on the highway.

And then I drop the hammer.

He's been lulled into the fat low powerband of the FJR already and forgotten that he can wind it up. We wind it up and romp on it. As we blast onto the highway we've probably made it into ticket territory but not go directly to jail territory yet. I close off the throttle and wait for him to pull up beside me. The dealership gave him a half helmet with a full clear shield. This is good because I can see the huge shit eating grin on his face.

I think "NOW, you've tried it and now you are allowed to like it."
biggrin.png

He's working financing and hoping to bring it home on Tuesday.

So, not sure if I'm a good influence or a bad one but I brought another over to the land of the FJR. That can't be all bad can it?
biggrin.png

Didn't take much convincing after all...your friend was closer to FJR ownership than he knew!

Great sales job!

--G

NIce work, and nice report! Question though: You call it a nice "POS" 2008...

"POS" generally means "piece of sh**." What means you in this case?

So, did his girlfriend get a test ride too? After all, she is going to be spending some seat time too (hopefully).

Yeah, my '07 is a POS. Absolutely hate it.............NOT.. The new POS is the Gen III but I gotta wear out the '07 first, and look for a used Gen III. I'm thinkin' 2016 or so. Gixxer, your buddy is going to hate you the rest of your life!
yahoo.gif

But we all know those Gen II's are far superior to those real POS Gen 1's....
tonguesmiley.gif
tease.gif

NIce work, and nice report! Question though: You call it a nice "POS" 2008... "POS" generally means "piece of sh**." What means you in this case?
I was just jumping ahead of the old farts on their Gen I's who'd say "Yea, but it's a POS Gen II." Figured I'd head them off. My 07 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I figure once I've gotten it broken in and hit 100K, I'll think about trading it in for a replacement.
He asked me what my wife thought of me getting up and going shopping with him on a Saturday morning. I said she was like "Go, have fun." But I'm not sure she thought it through. I'll probably be riding more because he'll be phoning me up to say "Hey man, let's go to New Mexico tomorrow!!!"

These things practically sell themselves. GJ only gave his buddy a little nudge. Way to go Jason.

I have a Gen I. I've ridden a couple of Gen I and a couple of Gen II FJR. Both generations are pretty freakin' fantastic, IMHO.

Had a Harley rider sit on my bike today. As he was thinking of buying an FJR & he was really chuffed.

Something in the water perhaps? Or is it just the beginnings of the more positive focus on the bike in the press that people are considering the switch?

You can get there faster than that! I recently did my whirlwind tour of an out and back to NM over two days. You can be here in a day easily from where you are at. So Tuesday then...
biggrin.png

I recently talked two local forum sportbike riders into buying an FJR. Many are on the fence, and just need a test ride to be sure.