Mechanical Klutz Needs Help!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flylooper

Reaction score
Some months ago I installed a wiring block under the seat of my 2004. I sourced the power direct from the battery to run running lights, GPS, Radar Detector, etc.

Now I want to change the power source so that it's tied directly into the ignition. IOW, when I turn the key on, the power to all these farkles comes on.

My problem is in trying to find a *ignitioned* power source to tap into. There doesn't seem to be anything *adequate* aft of the fuel tank to tap into, so I'm wondering what all the "cognoscenti" do in grabbing an ignitioned power supply to run a power block. (If you're thinking headlights...Which color is the low beam, although I hate using that because there's so little space for my ham hands!)

Also, there's *what looks like* a water temp sending unit beneath the aft end of the fuel tank. Is that what I'm looking at? Or is it something else. The reason I ask is that another possible solution might be to tap that hot wire for a power source for a digital clock I want use, which probably uses a teenie fraction of an amp.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Bob the Klutz :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Source from the battery, but put a relay in that's triggered off the ignition. you do NOT want to draw all that amperage thru your ignition switch.

Use a relay to handle the load and trigger it with the tail lite circut.

I disabled my windshield retracting circuit by finding the plug and unplugging. Then tapped into the blue wire for switched power - ignition key turns on/off this wire

see this link

hope this helps

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Many thanks to all who responded. I think the taillight tap and a relay will work okay. What I have is one of those 5-way gauges which tell me voltage/ ambient temps and time. There are three leads from it (2 pos. and a ground) . One hot lead is for constant power to keep the clock running. The other runs all the other stuff. I don't think it uses even an amp of power in total.

Anyway, I'll give it a try.

Again thanks. You guys are a great source of practical knowledge. :)

+1 on the relay and taillight circuit.
This link (there are others), might help: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/lofiversion/...5B/t107162.html
Well...I got it all wired up. I installed a relay and now my power block operates only when the ignition is turned on. Everything works properly, except I've run into another problem:

Anyone use or have any experience with this little puppy?

dig_vlt_mtr.jpg

I used one on my old Concours for years but after I got my FJR, the meter laid on my work bench for 5 years so my memory is faulty.

There are two positive leads from this meter. One is hooked up to a constant power supply, in order to keep the clock function operating. The other is to a switched supply which turns the entire meter on.

I've wired it up and now the LED which shows the charging condition of the battery comes on, reading "Low" when the key is turned off. IIRC, the meter is completely dark when the ignition is off. It's impossible to screw up the wiring - there's only two leads! - so now I'm wondering if this is (1) normal or (2) th meter itself is now defective.

Anyone have an answer???

Can't work with just those two connections, needs to have a ground. Maybe it's designed to ground through its case, in which case you'd hve to attach a ground wire to it somehow.

Your pic is too small to see what the thing actually is, maybe if we were given a model number or something more descriptive . . . .

Can't work with just those two connections, needs to have a ground. Maybe it's designed to ground through its case, in which case you'd hve to attach a ground wire to it somehow.
Your pic is too small to see what the thing actually is, maybe if we were given a model number or something more descriptive . . . .
Well, I didn't mention (above) that there is a 3rd wire coming from it which is the ground, of course. I"m grounding that to the Neg. wire coming direct from the batt.

Yeah, that part about "there's only two leads" threw me! :lol:

Grounded, hot wire always hot, switched wire switched correctly, thing doesn't work: sounds fubar'd.

What all does it do? Time, is that temperature? . . . . Without other leads what else can it tell you?

dig_vlt_mtr.jpg

I used one on my old Concours for years but after I got my FJR, the meter laid on my work bench for 5 years so my memory is faulty.

There are two positive leads from this meter. One is hooked up to a constant power supply, in order to keep the clock function operating. The other is to a switched supply which turns the entire meter on.

I've wired it up and now the LED which shows the charging condition of the battery comes on, reading "Low" when the key is turned off. IIRC, the meter is completely dark when the ignition is off. It's impossible to screw up the wiring - there's only two leads! - so now I'm wondering if this is (1) normal or (2) th meter itself is now defective.

Anyone have an answer???
Yup, I have used that unit before on my Pegaso. It is not 100% waterproof, and the voltmeter is not all that accurate, but it will give you a "relative" voltage reading and is not a bad little unit otherwise.

As to your symptoms, it sounds like you have the two positive leads reversed. The red wire is +12v constant on and the orange is +12v switched with the black being ground.

Yeah, that part about "there's only two leads" threw me! :lol:
Grounded, hot wire always hot, switched wire switched correctly, thing doesn't work: sounds fubar'd.

What all does it do? Time, is that temperature? . . . . Without other leads what else can it tell you?
I had this particular one on my Concours for years and when I got my FJR I removed it from the Connie but never installed it on the Feej. It's been sitting on my workbench for 4 years.

I've concluded its faulty, probably from too many drops on the floor in the garage, so I ordered a new one from California Sports Touring. They get 21 bucks plus postage for it, which is around what I paid for it 8 years ago.

It's really a slick little gadget and cost practically nothing. Much better than Datel, IMHO, in terms of the info it provides.

Voltmeter -

Stop Watch - For rallies?? (I never use it)

Clock - Better and more visable then the onboard FJR clock

Thermometer (inside and outside the cockpit). You run a temp lead the front of the bike.

LED backlit for night vision

If anyone has interest, it's here

dig_vlt_mtr.jpg

Anyone have an answer???
Yup, I have used that unit before on my Pegaso. It is not 100% waterproof, and the voltmeter is not all that accurate, but it will give you a "relative" voltage reading and is not a bad little unit otherwise.

As to your symptoms, it sounds like you have the two positive leads reversed. The red wire is +12v constant on and the orange is +12v switched with the black being ground.
You know, it's funny, but that damned little thing has been rained on, and even snowed on, but it just kept going. It's probably because it sits right behind the windshield. Certainly the manufacturer made no claims that it's waterproof, but there you are!

As for the leads. I have them right. I did some more checking and a couple of functions are telling me it's messed on on the circuit board. (Clock won't hold it's time, and stop watch won't reset) So I just ordered a new one. )

Just for fun, I compared it's voltage readout with a multimeter and it was dead on.

I sound like a shill for the thing, but I'm not! :) I just really like its practicality and of course the value for the dollar.

dig_vlt_mtr.jpg
Bob - I also used to have one but on my FJR. It lasted about 1 year then turned up with similar symptoms as you described with clock failure. As I remember(?) mine turned to toast on a hot day when the liquid crystal display started to show incomplete numbers. I took it off and got a Datel.

dig_vlt_mtr.jpg
Bob - I also used to have one but on my FJR. It lasted about 1 year then turned up with similar symptoms as you described with clock failure. As I remember(?) mine turned to toast on a hot day when the liquid crystal display started to show incomplete numbers. I took it off and got a Datel.
Hmm! Well, for me, so far so good. Although, as I said, it's probably been dropped more times than than a pass to J.J. Stokes.