Mesh pants for a hot summer commute? (over 100 degrees)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will also point out, that for temps over 100, you are almost at a disadvantage going with mesh. That Arizona sun bakes the pavement and brings searing temperature heat off of the pavement that, combined with the heat generated by cars and the general air temperature, will bring uncomfortable levels of heat to your legs. 80's and 90's, mesh rules. Over 100 and you are almost better with something to block the flow of air.

If we southerners didn't ride in the heat, we'd have to put away the bike for a solid chunk of the year. I can't imagine putting the bike away for several months just because of weather. That's crazy talk.
biggrin.png

I've had the Airglide jacket for several years now in the Hi Vis color. While it does let in a lot of air, it's still hot. The best thing I can say about Olympia products is that they are very well made and hold up for a long time. I can't speak about other mesh jackets but I will probably buy Olympia again if this one ever wears out.

I can't comment on pants because I just wear Kevlar jeans in the summer.
Ditto - well made and they come in colors other than black. I have the jacket & pants... they are easy to get in and out of and when they get so gross I can't stand to look at them I just throw them in the wash to brighten them up again.

Seems like the concensus is Olympia Air Glides. I have the Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh pants in silver. Not having tried other brands, I'm not sure how it compares. The reason I got silver is to keep me cooler (and to match my jacket). Here in Cape Fear, I have been known to stop about every 30 minutes in a shady spot and pour a pint of bottled water on my chest, back, and shoulders. That helps for a while.

The heat bothers me more as I get older, to the point it almost takes some of the fun out of riding. Spring and fall are definitely the best seasons for riding here.

I've found that my Klim Latitude Misano Jacket and pants overvLD Comfort full length pants and long sleeve shirt work well in 100f plus. I wet the shirt and shirt sleeves, wet the pants legs, open the sleeve cuffs, the Jacket back vent and both leg vents on the pants. I'm kool for about 3 hours before I need to rewet.

I can throw in a 'what not to buy'. The cheap Cycle Gear 'Bilt' mesh overpants, they're only $89 but worth more like $50. Better than nothing but I'd rather spend more on higher quality. What I've found for hot weather is that a high tech underlayer like Outlast really helps.

Here's my take on Motoport--at least the ones in your link, kiee: say $200 for the pants, and add four times that amount more if you buy all the armor to fit them out! I know it's super protective and great quality, but holy hell.

I have their kevlar mesh 2-piece suit, and with all the armor in (it's sort of a super-dense foam rubber), the air flow is a fond wish. Sorry, the emperor has clothes, and they're hot and expensive.

Try the Tour Master flex pants. Just a little outside your budget while its on sale (Revzilla.com). 4 season modular pants. I have the pants and jacket both and love them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Motoport 1000D Cordura pants looks like a good option for me, anybody here have a pair that can pass along your thoughts?
https://www.motoport.com/product/cordura-street-jean-1000-denier/]https://www.motoport.com/product/cordura-street-jean-1000-denier/[/url]
I have the Ultra II 1000D Cordura pants. They do come with armor, they are light, and they do breath well. I also bought the rain liner, although it can be a pain to take the pants off, to put the liners on.

I do like the pants a lot.

https://www.motoport.com/product/ultra-ii-cordura-pant/

I have the Tourmaster Flex pants. They have seen 20° to 115° and have done fine. I have pretty much stopped carrying rain gear unless it is really going to rain hard. I find that when my trips take me across several climate zones these pants are the one item that covers it all cutting down on extra weather protection that needs to be packed.

The pants have a 3/4 leg zipper so the pants can go on/off even with boots on. The leg panels take up almost no room when zipped out. The first time or two it is an adventure figuring out the origami puzzle of the panels, starting with just figuring out which are the right and left leg panels.

The pants come with a coat zipper and a mating zipper if your coat doesn't match. I haven't crash tested the pants so I can't say what real world protection they offer. If I knew for sure that I was going to crash today I would rather be wearing Motoport pants, for everything else the Flex pants work well
smile.png

I have airglide pants. I have worn them from 37-104 degrees. They are not the best for hot weather since they only have a few mesh panels and solid material in the high impact areas. I wear them over shorts or just underwear. I wouldnt recommend them for 100 degrees and pants. Your only option would be some of the all mesh pants like joe rocket I would think.

The airglides were fine moving but were hot in town.

I have used Airglide since forever even when I was TomInCA. I have ridden many days/hours over 100 degrees F with that gear. I will often wear swim trunks or other lightweight gear under the airglide pants. Some people say the Gen I bike are hot, but I have never had a problem...on the other hand, I haven't had any children since then either. No worries, we're all old guys on the FJR.