Metzler

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is quite possible that the Metz guys charge MSRP so as not to undercut the prices that their dealers would charge. I know if I were a dealer I would be pissed if the "special show price" was below my cost (not that this seems to be the case here). Just sayin'...

On the other hand, one pissed off customer poisons another 10 potential customers...

One day on my way to work I had an instant blowout of the front tire on I made it there and they refused to change my tire because the bike was not a Harley. When I asked if they would change the tire if I just brought in the rim they refused because it wasn't a Harley rim. So much for the comradarie of Motorcyclists.
My point is there are no shortage of short sighted a holes in the world.

Heck, I may have even been forced to be one a time or two.
That was an individual dealer decision, rather than a HD policy. During a recent road trip, I needed help with replacing a tube on my BMW. Eagle Rider HD were willing to remove the tire, fit my tube and replace the tire, for a very modest fee. Sure there are some short sighted a holes around, but not all HD dealers employ them.

I made it there and they refused to change my tire because the bike was not a Harley.
I've heard similar stories time and again about HD dealerships.
My local Yamaha dealer wanted to charge me close to $600 to supply and install a set of PR2's to the 07 that I purchased new from them. When I explained that I could get them online for less than half their price, and asked them to install the tires, they refused saying their policy was not to install tires they didn't supply. (Claimed it was a liability issue).

I purchased the tires online, and my local HD dealer did a stellar job of fitting and balancing them for me for around $60. They did say that they were not permitted to work on non HD machines, (and joked that they had no metric tools), so I had to remove the wheels myself. Despite not having an HD, I was treated with respect and politeness, and will definitely be using them for all my tire changing in the future.

I was going to go the online route, but I called the dealer I bought my 2007 from and got the tires and installation for $388. $344 for the tires and $40 for installation and balancing.

Jer

1.) The local HD dealer will NOT mount tires for other than HD. Even if I carry the wheels and new tires in. Quote, "Our machine won't work on those aluminum wheels!"

Er....my company delivered the machine....it's just like the one we delivered to the Yamaha dealer 10 miles North. And don't some HD models have aluminum wheels? What do yo do with those.

Idjits, I tells yuh!

Another reason I now have a tire machine and balancer in my garage!

2.) I'd absolutely write a letter to BMWOA and voice your complaint. Be sure and explain the safety issue and the fact that you came willing to spend the money necessary to support the gathering.

3.) I never plan to buy necessities at any kind of show or gathering. Just my own personal decision. This scenario simply underscores my reasoning.

It is quite possible that the Metz guys charge MSRP so as not to undercut the prices that their dealers would charge. I know if I were a dealer I would be pissed if the "special show price" was below my cost (not that this seems to be the case here). Just sayin'...
On the other hand, one pissed off customer poisons another 10 potential customers...
I don't know, I suspect they can do/sell for what ever they want when ever they want. I mean the MSRP for the rear, half off on the front isn't a horrible deal it's just nothing special.

Seems to me prices were much more reasonable in Vermont in 2006, and they were just about giving shit away last year in Gillette, mostly driven by the lower turn out and nobody wanted to drag all their shit across the country again.

Last year the magic price point was $20, everything at the show was $19.95 or $20. Tool rolls, tape, sheep skins, you name it. This year it was all $24.95 and $29.95 :)

At this point I've made my rant. There were 4 other guys with me (including the guy they boned) who will never buy Metzlers again, so if that was their goal they accomplished it. I'm trying to figure out just how much energy I want to put into this. I will still likely write letters to the MOA and Metzler. I've asked John Ryan for a contact name. He should now somebody that would want to hear the story. I don't expect much will change though and at this stage there really isn't much they can do to make up for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
mdisher: My Son Seth (12) and I just returned to Arizona from the BMW MOA International Rally in Johnson City, Tennessee

Having been an MOA Member since 1980, my number is 24810, and having attended almost every MOA International Rally since my first one in Prineville, Oregon in 1980, I found the problem you encountered very distressing. I've been a Club Officer of MOA Chartered Club #89 AZ Beemers for a dozen years now. OCfjr made a very interesting comment: That perhaps Metzeler influenced MOA somehow to be the only tire vendor. In almost 30 years of continous MOA International Rally attendance this is the 1st time that I've ever seen only one (and just one) tire vendor. Over the years, the only rallies I can remember missing (per my son SkooterG I'm now senile) were in Fredricksburg, Texas and in hot Gillette, Wyoming.

In regards to MOA Rally pricing, I have always found pricing at the International's to be of a greater discount at the Rallies.

I'll hold off on buying farkles for any of my BMW's until I can get to the yearly July MOA Rallies, I've always paid less at the Rallies! Example, a Sargent seat for my new 2009 BMW F650GS Twin was $365 at the Rally versus website price of $425!

Over the years I have attended the International BMW Rallies with friends riding other makes, usually Moto-Guzzi or Harley Davidson, and this is the first time I have ever heard of a discrimination regarding the mounting of tires on another marque.

https://www.bmwmoa.org/club/about_the_bmw_moa/officers Dave Swider is President and Greg Feeler is Vice President of MOA. They are both great guys and I would suggest that you contact them with this problem. BMW MOA, P.O. Box 3982, Ballwin, MO, 63022; Ph: 636-394-7277, Fax: 636-391-1811. I would also bust Metzeler's balls over this freaking tire fiasco!

Metzeler USA, 100 Pirelli Drive, Rome, GA 30161; Ph: 1-877-202-4993, Fax: 1-706-368-5832. Give 'em holy hell mdisher!!

In regards to the comment of my illegitimate bastard son SkooterG: "Metzeler Sucks!" Metzeler Tire was originally based in Munich and my first BMW, a 1966 R60/2 bought by me in 1968, was equipped with Metzeler's and I have great success with Metzeler on BMW's ever since. For the big trailies, such as my 1996 BMW R1100GS, the Metzeler Tourance is the greatest!

https://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orderpage....0170&po=187 If you go to pictures 186, 187 and 188 on this link you will see my Son Seth and I "slaying" The Dragon, with Sethy hamming it up for the killboy.com photographer!!!

Would be really interested to hear what corporate's response is on this issue. I really can't berlieve that they would condone such actions. Still struggling with why he wouldn't just take the price plus labor and give you the tires. Wierd!

My first question would have been, "Do I at least get a reach-around and a kiss?"
With your luck, his eyes would have lit up and he'd have bounced over to you saying "Yeth, you dooo!"

:ermm:

No, that edit bit about the CT rim wouldn't apply to me. I wouldn't need tires! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :finger:
Skoot, you been owned! :lol:

My first question would have been, "Do I at least get a reach-around and a kiss?"
With your luck, his eyes would have lit up and he'd have bounced over to you saying "Yeth, you dooo!"

No, that edit bit about the CT rim wouldn't apply to me. I wouldn't need tires! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :finger:
+1...

Beamerdon... The guy that needed the tire was riding a BMW RSL 1100... So it wasn't a marquee issue. It was just stupid.

-MD

+1...

Beamerdon... The guy that needed the tire was riding a BMW RSL 1100... So it wasn't a marquee issue. It was just stupid.

-MD
https://www.bmwmoa.org/contact_form/The%20B...Directors/board MD: I fully agree with you, this is so stupid!

Here is my 2 cents: I'd contact the entire MOA Board of Directors and file a complaint on this; get Metzeler Tire rally banned!

The really odd thing about this whole issue is normally vendors at rallies are really aware of what the competition is doing, and it's all about word of mouth, good will and props from the people they sell to/service for at the event. I can't count the times I've seen a vendor do something great for someone, or cut the price, only to have it spread like wild fire through the rally and their business suddenly pick up 300% in a heartbeat.

Doing the opposite just doesn't make sense. That they were the only show at the rally for tires also seems very odd, like Beemerdon said, normally you'd see at least 3 tire vendors. Hell, this is prime time for those outfits to trash talk each other and show the wares. Someone dropped the ball. At minimum, let the Corporate dogs know what happened and how you feel. Contacting BMWMOA as well gets those two on the same page, and may go somewhere when it comes to future events. I'd send an email to one, CCing the other for that matter, so they know each other is in the loop. :devil:

OCfjr has really hit this nail squarely on the head! Next year's BMW MOA Rally will once again be in Redmond, Oregon at the Deschutes County Fairgrounds; it was last in Redmond in 2001 and it is a fantastic place for a motorcycle rally to occur.

At the 2001 Rally I'd preordered tires from Rose City Cycles of Portland for my '96 BMW R1100GS "Mi Mexico Mule."

You guessed it - I had ordered front and rear Metzeler Tourances. Arrived Thursday, first day of the rally and went to Rose City Cycles vendor booth. Lo and behold, Metzeler had stiffed this dealership of every single preordered MC tire!!!

I was screwed, blued and tattooed! But the guys at Rose City Cycles rose to the occasion and satisfied everybody!

They knew on Wednesday that they were getting shafted by Metzeler. So what they did was to examine the preorder list and burn up the phones to tire vendors in Portland, Salem and Eugene to line up substitutes. They had a box van truck that spent all day Thursday rounding up tires all over Oregon, not Metzeler's, but any substitute that would fit preordered bikes.

Wound up with a set of Avon Distanzia's mounted on Mule; they worked great and I now run this model tire on F650GS Twin.

Story Moral: On another trip to Seattle, I stopped in Portland, OR and got tires again from these guys; will do same in 2010!!

OK, have fired off emails to all the appropriate parties.

We'll see what if anything becomes of this. Right now we're thinking there are better places to go than Oregon next year for the Rally. Maybe Alaska? ;)

OK, have fired off emails to all the appropriate parties.
We'll see what if anything becomes of this. Right now we're thinking there are better places to go than Oregon next year for the Rally. Maybe Alaska? ;)
Well, I really should be consulting with him first; but you know dcarver aka "Krazy Kreston Kowboy Kid" is planning a trip to Alaska next year. I am just waiting in the wings to see what dates that he picks for riding to Prudhoe Bay and Chicken, AK.

I've absolutely no idea how many folks he wants to travel with, that'd be his call. Just consider him Cisco and I'm Pancho!

We'll both be mounted on dualsports, TwoWheelNut Tim Bates' Suzuki V-Strom for that Don; BMW F650GS Twin for this Don.

I was going to blow off the BMW MOA International Rally in July next year if Don Carver picks that time to do the Alaska run.

If he picks from June 9 thru June 23 I'm hammered. Son Seth and I are riding our FXD Harley-Davidson back to Laconia for Bike Week. Seth's Mom's family is all from upstate New York and all Harley Riders; a Family Affair at Weirs Beach, NH.

At this point I've made my rant. There were 4 other guys with me (including the guy they boned) who will never buy Metzlers again, so if that was their goal they accomplished it. I'm trying to figure out just how much energy I want to put into this. I will still likely write letters to the MOA and Metzler. I've asked John Ryan for a contact name. He should now somebody that would want to hear the story. I don't expect much will change though and at this stage there really isn't much they can do to make up for it.

When somebody in charge of that event hears that they have lost several direct customers and assuming you mentioned posting the story on all your favorite motorcycle websites, I'd say they will be quite concerned.

I'd fire a salesman that refused to sell a set of tires to someone under your circumstances.

The grounds would be stupidity, he could've pocketed the labor and no one would be the wiser.

Then I'd call you up, aplolgize profusely,offer a free set of tires mounted at a dealer you choose, AND I'd pick up the labor.

"Then I'd call you up, aplolgize profusely,offer a free set of tires mounted at a dealer you choose, AND I'd pick up the labor. "

In the movie Back to School, Rodney Dangerfield says to his college professor, "So where are you going to build this business, fantasy land"? <_<

When somebody in charge of that event hears that they have lost several direct customers and assuming you mentioned posting the story on all your favorite motorcycle websites, I'd say they will be quite concerned.
I'd fire a salesman that refused to sell a set of tires to someone under your circumstances.

The grounds would be stupidity, he could've pocketed the labor and no one would be the wiser.

Then I'd call you up, aplolgize profusely,offer a free set of tires mounted at a dealer you choose, AND I'd pick up the labor.
I have sent letters to the two head honcho's at BMW MOA, and to the Generic Metzler 'contact' address.

I'm hoping someone (perhaps John Ryan) can provide me with a name at Metzler.

I *should* have gotten the tool's name at the show but we were already heading out when the irritation really set in.

I'm not holding my breath for a free set of tires/mounting or anything else.

-MD

I'm not holding my breath for a free set of tires/mounting or anything else.
I've gotten free tires from manufacturers (from the head offices) in the past, it's not really that much of a hardship for them.... Of course, different circumstances -- the free tires replaced faulty tires (build faults/poor quality). In all cases, the free replacements were faulty, too.

I then just cross that manufacturer off my list -- "there are plenty of fish in the sea." :eek: :)

Latest posts