Michelin Pilot Roads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday it was about 75 when I was out, and I had them slide (both ends of the bike) several times in tight turns when transitioning to smooth patches.
Just wondering what kind of speeds you are encountering the bike sliding?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday it was about 75 when I was out, and I had them slide (both ends of the bike) several times in tight turns when transitioning to smooth patches.
That'll wake ya up in the mornin' boy! - The Braveheart guy :eek:

No need to wait for the LD guys. My rear Storm will be toast in about 1,500 miles. That will put it at 6,500 miles...I will say that to date, the Storms are the best gripping, best handling, best ride and best wearing (evenness) tire that I have experienced to date for a standard spec ST tire. Sad then, the mediocre mileage in my case.
Have you tried the Diablo Strada's? I loved mine, and will keep one on the front, but the rear went out in 6700 miles and I was hoping for a bit more out of the Storm. I'll probably stick with the Avon rear anyway, as having tread groove across the middle of the tire (to judge wear progression) is a big plus in my book.

+1 on the suspension setup. If you are riding aggressive and making the front end dive while getting on the brakes, this will break the rear-end loose. Hard acceleration out of a turn with slow front end rebound will break the front end loose. If all the suspension is set up correctly then the tire pressure will make a difference. I think that most tire probs are truly from poor suspension setup.

Have you tried the Diablo Strada's? I loved mine, and will keep one on the front, but the rear went out in 6700 miles and I was hoping for a bit more out of the Storm. I'll probably stick with the Avon rear anyway, as having tread groove across the middle of the tire (to judge wear progression) is a big plus in my book.
The front is wearing superbly. Looks as new. I'm thinking this might be a 2 or 3-rear to 1-front combo, in my case.

The front is wearing superbly. Looks as new. I'm thinking this might be a 2 or 3-rear to 1-front combo, in my case.
Yeah, my Strada front lasted through three rear tires (~18,000 mi.).

& that's why I put a diablo (not diablo strata) on the front....to see if it will go 1 to 1 instead of 2 to 1 on changes....(more front stick good never bad)

I originally posted this in the FJR Specific section as I felt it was something of General Interest that I thought others might like to hear. For some reason it has been moved to Parts and Accessories???? I give up on this place.
Well, if you check your ego at the door for a moment perhaps we can ponder this dilemma. Fred, tires are parts and accessories and so the thread is now located in it's proper home. Quite a simple concept. Having the thread located in parts and accessories will NOT stop in the least others from reading your words of wisdom.

I really don't want to give up on you, but sometimes I really don't get why you take things so personally.
:shurg: it's not like i go fishing in a particular section for things most times anyway. i use the "show recent" or the search function. i found fred's post and it didn't matter that it was in the parts area and talking about parts; i still found it.

everyone has preferences for tires. always have and always will.

i'm currious about how the rear end breaking loose on the fjr is more of a tire issue or more of a power-to-weight-ratio issue. when comparing it to the Conk, the GL1500 or the GL1800, the FJR toasts all 3 of the other bikes. if pushing the bike in a similar manner to the others, it would appear to be obvious that you could ham hand it more easily if anything other than smooth and anything over 7 or 8 10ths.

were the PR's the original or the new design? Mich did recently release a new PR, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bounce Posted Today, 12:56
.....Mich did recently release a new PR, right?
Actually Bounce Mich released a pilot power 2ct, last year, a duel compound tyre like the storm

I have the PP2CT on the front and the PR on the rear, I like the set up for me because I am not an aggressive rider

& that's why I put a diablo (not diablo strata) on the front....to see if it will go 1 to 1 instead of 2 to 1 on changes....(more front stick good never bad)
Let us know how that works out. Sounds like a good idea when my currently new front wears out in another 18k.

The problem with most tires that are used on Feejers is that "sport touring" is the designstion. The tire mfgs. want to give us a tire that rides well, handles decent and gets good mileage. If you are going to gauge a tire by how well it handles when pushed hard, then you have the wrong compound. Get something sticky and sacrifice the mileage.