Michelin PR 3's out any day now

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, the FNG will now try a set of FNT's Switching from PR2's that were on the bike when I acquired it. The hides should be in this weekend.

About had to beat the bushes to find any. These things must be popular @ the moment. Ordered the B spec rear. Stay tuned. ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the large group that absolutely loves my PR2s, and want to get out to ride-ride-ride so I can try out the 3s. I've been playing with tire pressures on the 2s, having suffered cupping on so many other makes. What is the concensus on the Forum for pressures for the PR2s one-up, mostly with only a tank bag?

I'm in the large group that absolutely loves my PR2s, and want to get out to ride-ride-ride so I can try out the 3s. I've been playing with tire pressures on the 2s, having suffered cupping on so many other makes. What is the concensus on the Forum for pressures for the PR2s one-up, mostly with only a tank bag?
IMHO the book prevails on that. I ran my PR2's on what the owners manual recommended.

I've had good luck with 39 front and 41 rear. One up, 190lb rider, tank bag, and mostly flat, straight roads.

I put on a set of PR3's for the IBR. I ran approx 11,000 miles during the rally and another 2000 to get home. I was completlly happy with there performance in all wether conditions. Hot,cold,dry,wet. They still have a decent amount of tread but are getting a little out of shape. I am going to remove this set but not because they are worn out but because I bent both wheels and need to szend the wheels off for repair.

IMGP1556-1.jpg

IMGP1555-1.jpg

This is what they look like with 13,000 miles.

For crying out loud Mehaffy! Wash that pig of an FJR! Smitty would be embarassed to ride with you! Not that you would want to go riding with him and that Geriatric Wingabeggo of his.

Glad to hear you are recovering well from your little 'incident'.

Now, about that $5,000 you owe me. You DO remember that, don't you?

For crying out loud Mehaffy! Wash that pig of an FJR! Smitty would be embarassed to ride with you! Not that you would want to go riding with him and that Geriatric Wingabeggo of his.
I like what you have done with the color.... kind of blends in with the surroundings...

The PR3s are looking good for 13,000.... may need to give em a try soon. The "dutch" in me is having a hard time ponying up the extra $ for the PR3s vs PR2s.

Ok, time to throw some water on this. My first & last set of PR3's @ 5000 miles. Yes 5000 miles.

If you live anywhere with curves, the tires will wear very quickly off on the sides. The front caught me totally by surprise.

pr3fron.jpg

pr3rear.jpg

Ok, time to throw some water on this. My first & last set of PR3's @ 5000 miles. Yes 5000 miles.

If you live anywhere with curves, the tires will wear very quickly off on the sides. The front caught me totally by surprise.

pr3fron.jpg

pr3rear.jpg
Ouch.... That's a whole lotta water....

Glad to hear you are recovering well from your little 'incident'.

Now, about that $5,000 you owe me. You DO remember that, don't you?
Checks in the Mail :D

Did you hear Smitty is OFF the Koolaid.

He has not bought anything new yet but looking at Wings

More Water: That is the UGLIEST tread pattern I've ever seen!! :p My Avon Storm 2 Ultra's look so much cooler than that!

And this tire...

pr3fron.jpg

It would still work for a NASCAR event (left turns only!)...

OMG, no foking way!!

I can't believe those only have 5K on them.

Believe me I wish it weren't. But it is. I've never gotten more than that on any of the PRs (safely), but the 3s were decidedly crappier overall for me than the 2s. Hated them. YMMV

OMG, no foking way!!

Topanga,

Out of curiosity, what pressures were you running them at?

I'm also finding that I wear the sides off of the PR's first (the PR2's in my case), but not as fast as you.

I also ran with the pressures a little lower (38 & 40 psi) in some cooler weather and sportier riding, and noticed that the rubber was going away very fast. I'm back to 40 front 42 rear for all riding.

40 & 42

Topanga,

Out of curiosity, what pressures were you running them at?

I'm also finding that I wear the sides off of the PR's first (the PR2's in my case), but not as fast as you.

I also ran with the pressures a little lower (38 & 40 psi) in some cooler weather and sportier riding, and noticed that the rubber was going away very fast. I'm back to 40 front 42 rear for all riding.

I'm glad I found this thread. I was looking at the PR3's but after reading about the pulsating ABS issues and seeing how the heavy twisty riders fronts wore I will be going with some PR2's.

Believe me I wish it weren't. But it is. I've never gotten more than that on any of the PRs (safely), but the 3s were decidedly crappier overall for me than the 2s. Hated them. YMMV

OMG, no foking way!!

Now I have to ask, How much do you weigh...? That is a huge amount of wear for 5K

I'll stick to my PR2's...