Michelin Road 6 vs Dunlop Roadsmart IV

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I needed a rear tire (two actually)during my western ride this September. All I could find conveniently in Colorado Springs area was a Dunlop RS4 at Cycle Gear. I like the tire very much. I agreed to use it because my brother has been getting great life and performance from the RS4s on his FJR.
Cycle Gear did a great job, in my opinion. Friendly staff, quick service, no BS. Excellent prices. Nice location also in Colorado Springs, with a good restaurant across the street.

I bought a set of RS IV in the spring but didn't ride the FJR enough to use up the Bridgestone T32GT that were on the bike. (Half last year's riding was on a 2017 BMW F700GS - purchased near the end of 2022.) I'm looking forward to the Roadsmarts. (I have run probably five sets of RS III over the years and was generally very happy with them.)

Hats off to Cycle Gear. I frequent the one in Manchester CT. Excellent staff, and you can try before you buy. Nothing worse than buying (insert item here) online; that doesn't quite fit! Tire mounting is less than half of what my shop charges too.... Win Win !
Tires are like dating, you try different ones until you; "Fall in Love"!

Pete-o

A year of testing to the cords on identical VFR bikes. Same roads, same riding style etc. Based on the miles, I would say it was pretty aggressive riding. Anyway, it is worth a read...

https://roaddirt.tv/dunlop-roadsmart-iv-vs-michelin-road-6-final-results/
Fantastic write up, I just installed the Road 6s on my 14...they are light years ahead of the Bridgestones that were on it. I really thought about the Dunlops, because I have always enjoyed there tires. Next time!

I made the change from the Road 6 to RS4, and will not go back. I found they turn in better and are willing to hold the corners with more confidence. Have been on my 07 for a few thousand miles. Easier to scrape the pegs on the RS4. Wet weather, what little I ride in here in Florida, not quite the confidence as the Road 6. RS4 for me....less $.

Attachments

• IMG_5025.jpg
    IMG_5025.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I love Michelins but not the price. I've been using nothing but Dunlop Roadsmarts on my bikes ever since the D/RS series was introduced a decade or so ago. I've never been disappointed w/their performance or value either. Much less expensive than the Mich PR6s and the D/RSs are made in America. All wins from my perspective.

I love Michelins but not the price. I've been using nothing but Dunlop Roadsmarts on my bikes ever since the D/RS series was introduced a decade or so ago. I've never been disappointed w/their performance or value either. Much less expensive than the Mich PR6s and the D/RSs are made in America. All wins from my perspective.
I ran a set of RS II back in 2010, I think. Didn't like them so I moved on to others - Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Continental, Metzeler - even a couple of car tires in the rear. Mostly Dunlop Roadsmart III once they became available. The RS IV were expensive so I tried a set of Bridgestone T32GT most recently (not bad), but got a set of the newer Roadsmarts once they were offered with a rebate. Looking forward to getting them on the bike in the spring.

I've been switching back and forth between Dunlop "Road Smart" and Michelin "Pilot Road" for about 5 sets total. My avg mileage for both brands is 12,000 miles.

Currently, I'm on Road Smart 3 tires because you can get a good deal on the last version of a tire when the new version appears. The "Road Smart" seem to be wearing as long as the "Pilot Road" even though the Road Smarts are sightly cheaper.

Best ever mileage came from the PR-3 GT tires at 15,000 miles. I ride on Southern California freeways CAUTIOUSLY... though I admit it's fun to run past some sports car in the quarter mile after a green light!

Never race a Tesla. A confident Tesla driver will beat you in the quarter mile.

I'll post my tire spreadsheet next.

Last edited:
My data so far... (most recent at top)

Dunlop RS 4 ............. 14,944
Mich. PR CT ............. 8,937
Mich. PR CT ............. 9,751
Mich PR4 GT ............ 13,242
Mich PR4 GT ............ 14,426
Mich PR4 GT ............ 15,044
Mich PR3 GT ............ 15, 341

All of this is anecdotal and not scientific. I note that the front tire always wears out first, so if you wait until you're down to the "wear bars" on the back, you REALLY need them on the front.

Huh, I always saw the RoadSmarts as cheap and not very good. I'll have to consider them eventually.

My Roadtec 01 rear finally showed the world it's cords at about 10,000-10,500 miles. Front is still fine for now. Getting a second bike so I should stop going through tires like my local county goes through heroin needles

Huh, I always saw the RoadSmarts as cheap and not very good. I'll have to consider them eventually.

My Roadtec 01 rear finally showed the world it's cords at about 10,000-10,500 miles. Front is still fine for now. Getting a second bike so I should stop going through tires like my local county goes through heroin needles
IMHO, the Roadsmart III is at least the equivalent of the Michelin PR4 and the tests on the new RS IV seem to indicate that it is a real winner in terms of performance AND longevity. I've tried most of the tires out there and keep coming back to Roadsmart - haven't tried the IV but have a set waiting for the spring. The RS III was (and still is) a great tire and very well priced. Watch for Dunlop rebates that might save you $40 on a set.

IMHO, the Roadsmart III is the equivalent of the Michelin PR4 and the tests on the new RD IV seem to indicate that it is a real winner in terms of performance AND longevity. I've tried most of the tires out there and keep coming back to Roadsmart - haven't tried the IV but have a set waiting for the spring. The RS III was (and still is) a great tire and very well priced. Watch for Dunlop rebates that might save you $40 on a set.
Yeah I believe it after reading this review. I love VFRs so awesome that they used two identical ones lol.

I had some kind of roadsmart on mine, but it was very bad. Bought it because it was cheap and available after a puncture, it slid all over in the rain. That might have been one of the older models though

Yeah I believe it after reading this review. I love VFRs so awesome that they used two identical ones lol.

I had some kind of roadsmart on mine, but it was very bad. Bought it because it was cheap and available after a puncture, it slid all over in the rain. That might have been one of the older models though
I had a set of Roadsmart II on my original 2007 FJR (in 2010 or so). I didn't like them much at all. I have run at least five sets of RS III over the years.