Mileagae jump!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scab

I got nothin' here...
Reaction score
Okay, been riding this thing since October (when I bought it) with the stock shield fully upright. At first, because I am coming off a Goldwing, then because it turned into winter around these parts. Anyway, sunday past was a balmy 85 degrees and I had a new mesh jacket to try out. So, I loaded up the wife and burned a couple tanks of gas. Since it was warm and I was jacketed, ran all day with the shield down. Mileage for the day --46.5 mpg! This was with the wife (an extra 121 pounds) and the wind blowing like a muther! (got to use the sides of the tires while going straight, thought)

Now, what's up with this? I average 500 miles per week, minimum, with an average consistant mileage 41 - 42 mpg for the entire 8500 miles.

So, the question is this: Did the shield being down make this much difference? Or, is this the "break-in" mileage jump?

Speeds for the day were the same as when I commute. Traffic time, highway time about the same. Negative for the day was the strong winds-mostly cross winds. The only difference was the shield down and an extra body on back.

I did change to synthetic oil and synthetic gear lube about 1500 miles back but noted no noticible change in mileage afterwards.

Gimme some science, some speculation, some bullshit, or whatever.

-snip-  Mileage for the day --46.5 mpg!  This was with the wife (an extra 121 pounds) and the wind blowing like a muther! (got to use the sides of the tires while going straight, thought)

Now, what's up with this?  I average 500 miles per week, minimum, with an average consistant mileage 41 - 42 mpg for the entire 8500 miles.

So, the question is this:  Did the shield being down make this much difference?  Or, is this the "break-in" mileage jump?

Speeds for the day were the same as when I commute.  Traffic time, highway time about the same.  Negative for the day was the strong winds-mostly cross winds.  The only difference was the shield down and an extra body on back.

I did change to synthetic oil and synthetic gear lube about 1500 miles back but noted no noticible change in mileage afterwards.

Gimme some science, some speculation, some bullshit, or whatever.
It turns out that Yamaha has admitted over-stating engine RPMs and taken corrective actions. Now that your engine is turning slower, your mileage has improved.

Happy to help.

Aero is a major player in motorcycle highway type fuel economy....and you improved the heck out of the drag coefficient with the shield down. With the power to weight ratio of the bike the extra weight (passenger) likely had little effect especially since you were describing highway miles. Extra mass makes much more difference in stop and go driving compared to highway miles. I would definitely vote for the windshield being down as the reason for the improvement.

I got a mileage jump around the 7000 mile mark. Best mileage I ever got was with my daughter and full bags on board and averaging 85mph.

If such is the case, the shield won't be back up til next oct. / dec. I will monitor the mileage, as I do every tank anyway. I don't know why, but getting better mileage just makes me all giddy inside. I know, I am a sick puppy.

BTW, with my new mesh jacket and warm weather, I really enjoyed the ride with the shield down. VERY comfortable on the arms / wrists. The only negative is the onslaught of insect insides splattered across my face shield. If anyone decides to go full down on the windshield, go full-face on the helmet, keep the shield down and carry the Plexus in the side case. I cleaned that thing 4 times sunday.

'Bama got hills - did you ride at higher elevations? Above 2,500', my mileage goes from 40 to 45. Above 3,000 feet, I approach 50 MPG. Highest I've hit was 52 going across Hwy 88 in NorCal, prolly and average of 5-6,000 feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta add my two pennies......

The rider on the back decreased drag. Now if you can get her to dress in drag and get some pics, I might be interested.

:D

I rode my bike The first couple of years with no windshield on it at all and got around 48-50 mpg. Put the stock windshield on a couple of months ago (to much dirt in my face) and the mileage went down about 2 mpg. MIKE

I've noticed about a extra 5 miles on my odometer with the shield all the way down. I usually ride with it down too! Have my ear plugs in, and my Arai's face shield open(careful on highways with trucks you can get a hell of a neck snap) and

panoptic sunglasses.

Twn, we have hills but that is all they are-hills. The highest point in Alabama is Cheaha, which I live at the foot of, is only 2407 ft. at the top. On said sunday ride, we went the other direction so there were some hills, but nothing enough to even put a strain on the FJR.

But speaking of Cheaha, there are some major twisties with beautiful scenery. If anyone of you is ever near, you must ride Cheaha. There is camping, hiking, a motel, cabins, restaurant, etc. all at the top. Give me a holler if you want a personal tour guide. The top is only about 20 minutes from where I now sit. (in my recliner)

It's definitely better with the shield down.  Less of 'barn door in the wind' effect.
Which is one reason for the Wing's poor mileage (1100, 1200, 1500). Lots fo stuff to grab the wind.

It's amazing how well vented jackets and the air vents in helmets work once you get out from behind that Wing's barn door, innit? And everyone is tossing on taller and taller Tulsa shields instead.

Yes, I'm an ex-Wingster, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's definitely better with the shield down.  Less of 'barn door in the wind' effect.
Which is one reason for the Wing's poor mileage (1100, 1200, 1500). Lots fo stuff to grab the wind.

It's amazing how well vented jackets and the air vents in helmets work once you get out from behind that Wing's barn door, innit? And everyone is tossing on taller and taller Tulsa shields instead.

Huh? Consistently got 45 - 50 mpg on my GL1800...

Huh? Consistently got 45 - 50 mpg on my GL1800...
Conversely, my 81 CB650 would get 40mpg regardless of load or conditions, bare or with the Windjammer on it.

My husband and I both have '05's and everytime we ride together his tank empties faster than mine. He has an aftermarket larger windshield, he carries his side cases (with my stuff in one :haha: ) and also...he weighs a bit more than me. Also, his tires wear out much quicker. It just amazes me though, the difference.

Well, I use the excuse that I am always in the lead, and as I plod along at 90, he has to try to catch up which makes him go faster than 90, causing more tire wear and gas to burn...... :angel:

Conversely, my 81 CB650 would get 40mpg regardless of load or conditions, bare or with the Windjammer on it.
Some of the older bikes make fuel economy comparisons pretty difficult because they had fixed spark timing or RPM only spark advance. The engines were pretty inefficient due to the lack of load related spark advance. Even the simple vacuum advance cans on some of them helped mileage tremendously. Todays motors with electronic ignition controlled by the PCM with spark maps for speed and load and altitude and ???? really optimize the engine operation under all conditions and, as a result, can really show improvement in fuel economy under the optimum operating conditions.

The Honda uses a centrifigal advance mounted on the right side crank, and is a pain to keep clean and lubed so as to prevent a full advance sticking. 1 degree retard results in a dog, 1 degree advanced results in a rattler. Worse than my old CH with a mag. Me loves modern electrics ;)

I gotta go with the reduced drag from better streamlining with the passenger and windshield down, results I've also experienced.

Did you perchance also use a different gasoline brand ( not grade, lets not go there again! ) ?

I've noticed a big improvement on my FJR and PT Cruiser using Shell regular for both performance and mileage over most others.