Misaligned steering?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oso

Reaction score
I've noticed that my right arm is slightly more stretched out than my left. When looking down at the top of the steering head it is skewed a few degrees to the left when I am going straight. I do have a Helibar Bridge installed but it is symmetrical from side to side. It seems like the top triple clamp is out of alignment. What is the fix for this?

Mine was like that. I loosened the triple clamps and pressed the front wheel against the wall and pushed on the bars until straight.

Yep^^^^ loosen the fork pinch bolts and straighten things out. If it's really bad you might also slightly loosen the steering head nut to allow the top clamp to move. Panman's Tenere was tweaked and it wouldn't stay straight w/o loosening the steering head nut.  

~G

Panman still needs to fix, only slightly off. Long as I don't look down I don't think about it. It will have to wait till we get home in May.

I give this a try this weekend. Thanks
Since you're local and close, make sure you check out the PNW Tech Day on June 13th in Auburn.  Lots of information, light maintenance and bench racing and an all around good day. Thread in the PNW specific section. Don't be a stranger!

~G

Thanks neighbor. I'll try to make it .  I tried the bump with the pinch bolts loosened to no avail. Looks like I need to remove the Helibridge and access the steering head nut.

Thanks neighbor. I'll try to make it .  I tried the bump with the pinch bolts loosened to no avail. Looks like I need to remove the Helibridge and access the steering head nut.
Having the same problem and curious have you competed the fix? How did it work out? Was it necessary to loosen all the pinch bolts or can you get away with loosening just the upper ones? 🤔

Never loosen both the upper and lower triple clamp pinch bolts or the bike will drop. I straightened my steering this past weekend. Loosen the upper triple pinch bolts and the steering nut. If you have a bridge, you have to remove it.  Stand in front of your bike with your leg against the wheel and pull on the handle bars. Yes, you have to re-install the bridge if you have one. Once everything is straight and tightened up I realigned my forks. Loosened the lower triple clamp pinch bolts, axle pinch bolts, fender bolts and brake calipers. Bounce the front end a few times. Tighten everything except the brakes. Have someone squeeze the brake handle and hold while you tighten the brake caliper bolts. 

Never loosen both the upper and lower triple clamp pinch bolts or the bike will drop. I straightened my steering this past weekend. Loosen the upper triple pinch bolts and the steering nut. If you have a bridge, you have to remove it.  Stand in front of your bike with your leg against the wheel and pull on the handle bars. Yes, you have to re-install the bridge if you have one. Once everything is straight and tightened up I realigned my forks. Loosened the lower triple clamp pinch bolts, axle pinch bolts, fender bolts and brake calipers. Bounce the front end a few times. Tighten everything except the brakes. Have someone squeeze the brake handle and hold while you tighten the brake caliper bolts. 
Thanks, I'll check it out.🤔

Question. In between the two castelated nuts on the steering  head there is a rubber washer. What is the function of this washer and how important is it's placement??

The top nut is a jam nut and is torqued finger tight. I'm guessing the O ring prevent the top nut from transferring any torque to the bottom nut. As this is a thread on aligning the steering, I'm hoping you are not messing with these as it is not required.  

The top nut is a jam nut and is torqued finger tight. I'm guessing the O ring prevent the top nut from transferring any torque to the bottom nut. As this is a thread on aligning the steering, I'm hoping you are not messing with these as it is not required.  

Well that's the problem. While I had everything apart to realign the steering having misplaced my FSM I reassembled it with the washer in the wrong place. So now I see that the washer goes in between the two castelated nuts which I did not do. I have the nuts together with the washer on top. So is it critical? Do I need to take it apart again and correct it or can I run it this way? 

Did you torque the stem nuts correctly? They are critical. 
Yes. That was another part of the reason for the disassembly. Finally after all these years just bought the steering head socket which makes it a snap except of course for the riser bridge. 

Latest posts