Missouri & Arkansas riding in May

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, it looks like the WV Ramble is likely to end up being in June...

...So I am looking to do a trip into MO & AR in May to hold me over 'till then.

I will look at the "mcy roads us" website for some information regarding roads, but I have the following questions for you riders that have ridden this area before:

1) What are your favorite roads? / Are there any favorites NOT on the website that you'd like to mention?

2) How much time would you spend in MO/AR? 2 days? 3 days? A week?

I typically ride 300 to 450 miles per day on a trip, toward the lesser number in the twisties.

3) When you're not doing twisties, what roads do you you enjoy for scenery sake?

4) What area would be a good "base of operations" for this trip? I may camp some, but if I don't - any hotel recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Last edited by a moderator:
First time down that way? You're gonna love it.

Missouri is a good time. If you've never spent time there, it would probably be good to have some local advice. They have a lot of fun and reasonably well maintained county roads, but stringing them together can be interesting. My familiarity starts in Farmington and heads to the west and south from there. If you're interested, I could try to send a Streets and Trips file.

Northern Arkansas is sooo sweet! I've not spent as much time in the area as I would like, but without a doubt it takes two days to get a sample of just the part of Arkansas north of Interstate 40. Coming down from MO through Thayer/Mammoth Spring take 9, 14, then a run up Push Mountain Rd and back. From there stitch something together that will include 27, 16, 123 and anything else that looks good on the map. It's hard to go wrong, but be aware of your gasoline, you'll often be riding a long way from nowhere. Maybe get up 125 and take the ferry across Bull Shoals Lake and head into SW MO and do a bit of US160 on your way back home. There's two days.

One day in MO and another two in AR will leave you wanting to come back for more.

Thanks for the reply tph. I'm sending you a pm.

Yeah, first time into the MO/AR area when I wasn't on my way to other places...I'm looking forward to it :agent: !

BTW, tph were you on the EZ site or FJROwners? Your moniker seems familiar...

Also, welcome to this site!

Thanks tph for the map file...those roads look good! B)

(BTW, are you sure it was the FALL ramble? I looked at escape's pics and didn't see you there)

Anyway, thanks for the help on the Missouri roads (from an OHIO rider no less)...

Anybody FROM MO/AR have have any favorites or suggestions?

I know I will have a good route with the suggestions from the "mcy roads us" website, my DeLorme Gazetteers in hand and MS Streets and Trips...

I just hoped to find some input from some of the local FJR riders. :huh:

@wheaton

tph met us midway through the ride on the '03. He made it in the background of the pics of valetz modeling the "jacket"...my eyes, my eyes ;) K

--G

wheatonFJR, give me a call. I ride Mo-Ark alot. I will pm to you phone #. If possible, and if its okay with you I may ride and show you around. I live near Farmington, and can string 300-400 mile together in Missouri. When I go to Ark. I always stay in Mountain View. There lots of motels, and camping, and great roads. I will leave there and just loop back around at the days end. I would be happy to show you around... Smitty :D

If possible, and if its okay with you I may ride and show you around. I live near Farmington, and can string 300-400 mile together in Missouri.  When I go to Ark. I always stay in Mountain View. There lots of motels, and camping, and great roads.  I will leave there and just loop back around at the days end.  I would be happy to show you around...  Smitty :D
Thanks Smitty for the reply.

I appreciate any info you can give me. I saw the thread last year of when you took some guys for a little tour in your area...I think FJRRocket was one. I figured you would know many roads in the area.

Thanks for the offer to show me around, however I presume it would be a pretty tame ride for you travelin with me. I don't gotts the skills that you do or probably most on this forum...just ask yamaholic :lol: .

Like you I tend to go fastest before I crash, and I am in no mood for that to happen. It tends to shorten the riding season :dribble: :D .

However, if when the time comes you are still interested in giving me a tour, I am definitely up for riding wid ya.

Thanks for the offer and any info you can give...

I can ride at any pace, fast or not so fast. It is all in having a good time. You get ready give me a call and let me know. I can always HIGH LIGHT a map and send it to you. Or you can come by, I am on the way... and I can map it out for you. Maybe we can get Matt aka FJRRocket Chester aka KCFJR and a few others to join the ride.... I'm here when you need me......Smitty :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I can ride at any pace, fast or not so fast.  It is all in having a good time.  You get ready give me a call and let me know.  I can always HIGH LIGHT a map and send it to you.  Or you can come by, I am on the way... and I can map it out for you.  Maybe we can get Matt aka FJRRocket  Chester aka KCFJR and a few others to join the ride....  I'm here when you need me......Smitty :D
Group ride sounds fun. :p

Thanks in advance for your assistance Smitty!