Missouri Traffic Citation "not found"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I have only ever paid one citation. It was the one I got in Colorado in 2009. $164 was way cheaper than it would have cost me to drive/ride to Telluride and fight it. Every citation I have contested, I have walked away from, whether a deferral, a no show by the cop, or a not guilty.

Citations are criminal cases and have rules that must be met. They don't hold them back on purpose just to mess with people. Their system is backed up. Welcome to the legal system. If they haven't met their burden or timeline, that alone is grounds for dismissal. If they just barely met it, then file your portion to contest the citation.

If you were just going to pay it anyway, don't gripe, just pay it. If you were going to fight it, then fight it. Anything they don't do right helps you. Believe it or not, in 99% of jurisdictions, the system is set up to benefit the defendant more than the prosecution. The whole Constitutional innocent until proven guilty thing.

The whole Constitutional innocent until proven guilty thing...
... does not fully apply in many (most?) states regarding driving, which is considered a "privilege", not a right. (Which is something I have always had a hard time getting my head around) IOW, they can yoink your license without having "proved" guilt.

Iggy, yes. I am mostly just griping, I admit. However, I do believe most states probably operate their system in a way that puts the defendant at a disadvantage, but that is solely my opinion. Regardless, I checked with my insurance and my rates should not go up since they do not routinely check driving records.

A few have mentioned traffic school or other differing programs. Can those be taken by a non-resident?

Last edited by a moderator:
A few have mentioned traffic school or other differing programs. Can those be taken by a non-resident?
50 different states and 50 different rules..... Google is your friend and searching on terms like Missouri driving school ticket I found this example here.

50 different states and 50 different rules..... Google is your friend and searching on terms like Missouri driving school ticket I found this example here.
I'm not licensed in MO so here what that site says and is the reason for my question:

"Out of State Drivers

If your driver’s license is from a state other than Missouri, attendance at the Driver Improvement Program in Missouri will not guarantee that your home state will not assess points or otherwise enter a moving violation on your record. You should check with your home state authorities to determine what rules apply."

You should check with your home state authorities to determine what rules apply."
More Google! In 12 seconds I found your particular state has a "Bureau of Motor Vehicles", website, and a phone number. I'd feel much better with a direct statement from the state over an opinion on this forum personally.....

Again, my point is that if you want to play---you's gots to do your homework!

Or, if you don't want to to....I say it will work. Take the class and I promise you it won't go on your Indiana record. I know Indiana rules. trust me!
devil.gif

You should check with your home state authorities to determine what rules apply."
More Google! In 12 seconds I found your particular state has a "Bureau of Motor Vehicles", website, and a phone number. I'd feel much better with a direct statement from the state over an opinion on this forum personally.....

Again, my point is that if you want to play---you's gots to do your homework!

Or, if you don't want to to....I say it will work. Take the class and I promise you it won't go on your Indiana record. I know Indiana rules. trust me! :devil:
Trust me, I would not trust your opinion of what Indiana will do. But that is not personally against you. In fact, I would not trust the representative at the BMV either. My personal experience with then the past 20-something years has been if you ask the same question of three people, you will most likely get three different answers.

You have seemed kinda harsh regarding this. I have asked for people's opinions and personal experiences. Is that not allowed?

You have seemed kinda harsh regarding this. I have asked for people's opinions and personal experiences. Is that not allowed?
Started out trying to help, but you're right about me being more harsh as the thread has gone on. You just seem really lazy on your end.

Sure, you can ask...and sure people can pipe up with their $0.02.

I'm done trying to help though. Good luck!
smile.png

Started out trying to help, but you're right about me being more harsh as the thread has gone one. You just seem really lazy on your end.
Sure, you can ask...and sure people can pipe up with their $0.02.

I'm done trying to help though. Good luck! :)
Contrary to what you may think, I appreciate your input as well as every one else's. Lazy, no. Inquisitive, yes, and interested in others experiences and a bit frustrated in the system.

... does not fully apply in many (most?) states regarding driving, which is considered a "privilege", not a right. (Which is something I have always had a hard time getting my head around) IOW, they can yoink your license without having "proved" guilt.
I would love to discuss this point further but I have learned my lessons here. Maybe at the next get together in person. Trying to be good.
angel.gif

The point of going to driving school is that once completed, the citation is dismissed. You cannot be assessed points on a dismissed charge. It is possible that along with a guilty plea a judge will sentence someone to driving school in lieu of a fine, or maybe as well as a fine if guilt was found on something heinous. In a guilty-but attending driving school anyway situation, points would be assessed. Where driving school is completed to gain a dismissal, no driving points.

If you are polite and have a nice judge and a good driving record, you may get that state's version of a deferral. Basically like probation, but all you have to do is not get another citation in 90 days or whatever their term is. If you complete the term without another infraction, the cite is dismissed. Again, no points. Until you go to court, you won't know and any advice you get here is just educated guessing.

Just because driving is considered a privilege does not mean states revoke licenses without proof. Please show me ONE valid case of that happening, just one! Not conjecture, or "My brother's friend's cousin's girlfriend had it happen to her." Show me a documented case where some poor schmuck was driving down the road, fully within the law, and some mean cop or judge, or MVD worker took that poor guy's license.
Driving is absolutely a privilege and many people abuse it. Most people lose their privilege to drive by driving drunk. Some get way too many tickets, some get caught driving recklessly, and some violate some condition of the privilege. In NM if a person doesn't pay court ordered child support, their driver's license and professional licenses are suspended.

I have been to hundreds of hearings to take hundreds of licenses, and I know the process we have to go through to meet that threshold. Taking a license is a big deal, but very necessary when it happens.

Driving is a privilege because it is not in the bill of rights. Cars were not around when the constitution was written- and they also need special knowledge and skills to be safely operated on the roadway with pedestrians and other motorists. Abuse the 'privilege' because of not obeying the rules of the road and putting someone else in danger is grounds to lose that privilege, your right to act like an ass behind the wheel does not trump my families right to be safe on the road.

Driving is a privilege because it is not in the bill of rights. Cars were not around when the constitution was written- and they also need special knowledge and skills to be safely operated on the roadway with pedestrians and other motorists. Abuse the 'privilege' because of not obeying the rules of the road and putting someone else in danger is grounds to lose that privilege, your right to act like an ass behind the wheel does not trump my families right to be safe on the road.
It doesn't have to be in the Bill of Rights, or even in the Constitution. That is why we have the rather important 9th Amendment.

The point about driving is a simple one. It is reasonable that folk demonstrate competence to drive before obtaining a license. It is also reasonable that the state revoke the license for serious breaches of the driving rules and laws.

What is NOT reasonable is that the right to drive be removed as an administrative convenience, without due process and for reasons that are unrelated to driving.

I don't think this forum is the right place to be arguing about what constitutes inalienable "God-given" rights and what constitutes privileges which must be earned. So, despite all that I want to say, I am going to do my best to keep my mouth shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.