mixing PR2's and PR4's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art miller

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Have any of you tried Michelin PR2 front and PR4 on rear. I like the PR4 rear tire but the PR4 front seems to develop a strange wear pattern compared to PR2's I have used in the past. I never ride 2 up and I weight 145lbs. Short of getting caught in a thunder storm and no place to take shelter, I never ride in the rain. Front tire is kept at 39psi. Unless there are known or perceived negatives to mixing these tires, I would like to give it a try. If they still offered a PR2 190/55-17 rear I would just go PR2's on both ends.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not tried mixing, and I also like the PR2 fronts better than the PR4. However, you might have better luck with 42 pounds instead of 39. That seems to be the common by a number of people.

I haven't tried the PR4 on my FJR yet, but on my RT I found that increasing the tire pressure from the recommended of 36 psi to 38 psi eliminated the odd wear pattern and helped the tire to last longer. I also increased the rear pressure from the recommended of 42 psi to 44 psi, but it didn't seem to have any effect on tire life.

I believe, but would not swear, that I've had that combination on my 2014 with no ill effects. But I've never had an ill effect from mixing any tires. I run 40/40 most of the time.

I have mixed all kinds of tires. For awhile, I was using PR2 rear and T-30 GT front. I never liked the PR2 fronts. Didn't seem to last very long for me and developed a pronounced trapezoidal shape and sketchy handling earlier than I would like. YMMV!

In any case, using different tire brands on front and rear should not be an issue.