Montana 501 Rally

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Sky

Dr. Gonzo
Reaction score
This is sponsored by the Last Chance Riders Motorcycle Club out of Helena, MT. (I am not a member.) It was conducted for the first time last year. It is termed a "soft rally" which I guess means it isn't meant to be all that rigorous or "hard core." It has no official sanction and I believe is meant mostly for fun, though entrants can be as competitive as they want.

Essentially: Entrants can opt for a one-day rally or two-day rally, Sept. 12-13. One-day rally is Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and two-day is from 8 a.m. Saturday to end-of-light, then first-light Sunday to 6 p.m. - no scoring in the dark.

My wife and I participated last year as rally virgins and actually won the two-day, to our great surprise. We ran a little over 1,000 miles and compiled something over 11,000 points. Participation was light, as perhaps might be expected for an inaugural and lightly promoted event: four entries in each class (one- and two-day). We entered just for the experience of it and the fun potential, but also wanted to be competitive, so it was very satisfying for us in all respects. The club awarded trophies in both classes for first place and points-scoring efficiency (points scored per mile).

We had such a good time we are planning to enter again, and would like to see a full field with some riders ready to kick our butts.

This is the information from the club's event registration form:

MONTANA 501: THE LAST BEST RALLY

"Like a scavenger hunt on two wheels!"

Presented by the

LAST CHANCE RIDERS MOTORCYCLE CLUB of Helena, MT

SEPTEMBER 12-13 2015: meet at Kmart parking lot in Helena

The nice thing about Helena, centered as it is as the hub of Western Montana, is that there are fun roads and interesting rides that can be taken at all points of the compass. This event is designed to allow you to ride and collect points in any direction you choose, and to combine one or more directions into whatever series of long or short loops that you may prefer. Ride solo or two-up! The general purpose is to ride safe, have fun, and enjoy Montana's incomparable scenery and points of interest.

FOR MORE INFORMATION: [email protected] or, call Jon at 702-349-4016

---RALLY SCHEDULE--- (Rally begins and ends at west end of K-Mart parking lot on Cedar Ave.)

Saturday, Sept 12: 7:00AM Registration (for both 1 and 2 day event; choose one only)

7:30AM Pick Up Rally Packet

6:00PM Closing Time for 1 Day Rally

Sunday, Sept 13: 6:00PM Closing Time for 2 Day Rally

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REGISTRATION (for more information or to obtain additional forms, email your request to [email protected] or, call Jon at 702-349-4016)

_____ $10 if received by mail before Sept 6

_____ $15 if received on the morning of the rally

I wish to ride in the: _____ 1 day event _____ 2 day event (please choose one only)

You will need a pen and a camera** to document visiting your Points of Interest

** No flash photos allowed as this event will be run in daylight hours only.

NAME____________________________________ PHONE ______________________________

ADDRESS _______________________________________________

_____________________________ ______________ ______________

City State Zip

VEHICLE (Year) ___________ (Make) _________________ (Model) _____________________

Liability Waiver: I/we hereby release the Last Chance Riders Motorcycle Club from all liability for personal injuries, losses and damage to property caused by or arising from the event described herein. I/we agree to be responsible for all persons in my party including family members and /or guests. I/we execute this waiver voluntarily and with full knowledge of its significance.

Signed: ________________________________ Date: ________________

Mail This Form To: LCRMC, % Jon Chacopulos, 1024 Breckenridge, Helena, MT (59601)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, after the shock of the Big Sky Rally settles, I am definitely up for some fun in my home state.

(I meant this is in the nicest way. The Big Sky Rally was extremely challenging, and I got my butt kicked by it. But it was ingeniously designed and lots of fun, even though I finished bear the bottom.)

Last edited by a moderator:
"......Montana's incomparable scenary....."

I can vouch for that. I hope that rally gains many more entrants, if not this year, then in the years to follow.

Rallys I find are a great way to get out and see the little, and yet intrigueing, things in your own locale you wouldn't otherwise see.