Moto Guzzi Norge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3a.jpg

Dang, although the Guzzi Norge no longer makes headlines, I went thru the old thread and read a question by Nusman68 that I totally missed way back in November, when you and I were so much younger ;)

The meaning of the name Norge?

In 1928 a MotoGuzzi named "Norge" reached North Cape, elevation 1000 ft. :haha: in Norway (i.e. Norge in the local lingo).

This is a pretty typical case of narrow-minded marketing, finding cutesy names the local market may find attractive but which may well sound silly or even gross in other markets (the Mitsubishi Pajero comes to mind. Pajero = wanker in Spanish :blink: ). Obviously, the brilliant marketing whiz-kids at Guzzi's Mandello del Lario HQ are too young to remember the old Norge refrigerators...They could have called the bike Philco or Kelvinator for all they knew...

Breva is another "insider" name, it being the local name for a southerly breeze that normally brings fine weather to nearby Lake Como. I live 25 miles away and had to look it up... :rolleyes:

Finally, Griso is a character from a locally-famous 19th century novel. He was the head of the local ruler's handymen and thugs. This I know because we had to read the darn book in high school and it redefined boring.

Imagine naming an American bike "Caulfield" (as in Catcher in the Rye's Caulfield) and hoping people overseas will get it.... :nono:

Stef

PS: The 1970 stewardess is NOT my sister and the bike is NOT a match for the FJR. In fact I can't wait to thrash me one on the road :assasin:

Norge, a la America, circa 1952

1.jpg

Fitting, no? :p ;) :D

Edited to add:

If you all have any antique appliances, don't toss 'em. Reconditioners are getting beaucoup bucks for them. That little jewel above is selling for $3,200!

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to be really quick to post something first on this forum.
See the Norge here.
Wow, I missed the boat big time by just shy of two months time.

Oh well, for the people that missed the original post, this post is for you.

And the Italian Teerex51 was able to add a history lesson to this thread. Ain't it great?

PS: The 1970 stewardess is NOT my sister and the bike is NOT a match for the FJR. In fact I can't wait to thrash me one on the road 
What, no squirrel shot on or near the Guzzi? ;)

I think this is a cool looking bike.

Probably because it looks like the FJR at quick glance.

But why in a million years would anyone want one when they can have the feejerm which, on paper at least, kicks its arse in every category, including price?

Oh, and JUST SAY NO to handlebar mounted mirrors. NO! NO! NO!

-BD

I, too, think its an attractive bike. From some angles it looks like the bastard step-child of a BMW GS and an FJR, but for an air-cooled engine the size of the Guzzi, the design is interesting. At least they are trying to stretch their small market share.

It would be waaaay fun to own so you could drive by the BMW dealer..... ;)

Better looking than my refridgerator. Will it keep the beer cold?

note, I actually owned a Norge 'fridge. Amazing fact, it was still working in the early ninetys. Almost solid rust on the outside, but still keeping stuff cold or froze as required.