Motoport Air Kevlar Pant Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
Considering a pair of these when I have the funds. Preparing, I have been looking at their website. In the pictures it looks as though the back of the air pants are made of their stretch kevlar material. Is this accurate?

I would also like to ask what are armor recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I have. I have hip and knee armor and definitely recommend it. Had a nice get-off wearing my Motoport suit on the way to NAFO in '08 and totaled the bike, the kevlar suit not at all--and that was over broken granite on the roadside. It's not too cool with the armor in, but better than even riding jeans for hot temps. There is no stretch fabric except for a little at the waist.

I also recommend you NOT bother with the rain or warmth liners. You'd do much better with cheaper and much easier-to-use liners and rain gear you probably already own (and the rain liners aren't very effective in a pretty good rain, either).

p.s., Wayne there is very helpful. If you call and ask about the stretch fabric, he'll give you all you want to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gunny as to everything Mike said, but fortunately I haven't road tested it on a get-off. I find they flow a lot of air and are as cool as any armored riding gear can be while in motion and there is air flow. The fabric weave looks tight, but flows a lot of air. Definitely worth the money. Do get the Fabric Guard 303 they sell as Kevlar is UV sensitive and the protection must be reaplied (usually once or twice a year depending on frequency of use and washing).

Are you looking for a vented pant or something that will work in hot weather?

The mesh pants work well in hot weather but as SacMike pointed out, the liners leave something to be desired for rain. I have the mesh pants/jacket, and they stay on the hanger during the Seattle rainy season. As long as it's dry, you'd be good with liners and mesh pants in cold weather.

If you're looking for pants that work up to say 90F, then stretch kevlar is a much better alternative. They still flow enough air to be comfortable, but are a much better choice for all around riding.

For armor you have two choices. The Tri-Armor is thinner, more comfortable and probably still out performs most other offerings on the market. The Quad-Armor is the ultimate, but it is bulky, stiff and hinders movement in the garment. Earlier this year I picked up a new/used stretch kevlar jacket with quad armor, but changed it out with tri armor I had in my other jacket.

--G

My rain liners have worked very well for me. Many miles of rain riding, including side winds that blew rain water up inside my helmet....no leaks. YMMV.

The mesh pants are mesh all the way around....no stretch material in the seating area. The legs are a little rough on the painted area of the tank and fairing.

I also have the tri-armor and it has served me well, including the KLR crash where I cracked to vertebrae. No road rash AND bruising around the outline of the armor. Faxcinating...unfortunately, no pictures.

I have also had very good experience with the rain liners. Took a 3700 mile, two week trip through the Pacific Northwest earlier this year, and it rained on me just about every day (except the days I was in Seattle, go figure). I stayed plenty dry the entire trip.

I've had mine for 4 years now and 80k miles. Great pants. The liners are ok and only recently started leaking. Wayne has already offered to repair them for free years later. In the long run the suit was alot less than a new $200 jacket and pants combo every year. They also flow air pretty good. Did fine last week in ar in 109f temps all day. The tri armor is decent by the quad stuff is really poofy. Most people find the Kevlar stuff to be bad enough in terms of bulk. Overall though its the best mesh stuff available IMHO

I have the mesh pants. The armor does reduce the ventilation but I figure that there is only one reason to wear any of the gear we do....and everyone here knows what that is. I tested with the tri armor at 35 mph on sharp gravel. No damage to me or the pants but I subsequently upgraded to the Quad armor, anyhow. It is bulkier and a bit more restrictive movement-wise. So, why go with the Quad? See above.

I have had very good experience with the Motoport goretex rain liners. Note, however that because the liners go inside the mesh you can get rain run-off inside your gloves if the gauntlet goes over the jacket cuff (thanks, Exskibum, for pointing this out to me). As for insulation, (a) you can use any fleece, polar tech, etc and the rain liners provide quite a bit of warmth just by themselves.

I want to thank everyone greatly for all of the comments/advice. I really do appreciate it, a lot.

Something I had decided a long time ago... if I ever bought Motoport gear, I would not be investing in the liners. I plan to wear these pants in the summer months & have a pair of Aerostich AD-1 pants that are dedicated to winter wear. I am also not a fan of wearing rain gear under my protective pants. So, I would wear dedicated rain gear over them, instead. In my mind, that is the easiest & makes the most sense.

I swear, by looking at the pictures they have online, the seat of these pants look like stretch kevlar. I'm going to have to give this guy, Wayne a call to ask.

Again thank you, Heidi

Heidi, there is a small area of stretch material in the crotch. It's V-shaped with the point at the inside of each knee and is about 5" wide at the crotch seam.

The area under the buttock, where you meet the seat, is mesh.

I can take a photo if you want.

...I can take a photo if you want.
Isn't that statement supposed to have a "smiley" after it. :D
:confusedsmiley: Huh????

Oooohhhhh....uhm.....I meant: Put them on the ground and take a picture, not wear them and take a picture.

I hate tempting ladies like that! :blush2:

Besides....a photo taken from that perspective would REALLY make my belly look big! :bleh:

I want to thank everyone greatly for all of the comments/advice. I really do appreciate it, a lot.

Something I had decided a long time ago... if I ever bought Motoport gear, I would not be investing in the liners. I plan to wear these pants in the summer months & have a pair of Aerostich AD-1 pants that are dedicated to winter wear. I am also not a fan of wearing rain gear under my protective pants. So, I would wear dedicated rain gear over them, instead. In my mind, that is the easiest & makes the most sense.

I swear, by looking at the pictures they have online, the seat of these pants look like stretch kevlar. I'm going to have to give this guy, Wayne a call to ask.

Again thank you, Heidi
Just remember, Heidi, especially if you go with the quad armor (most protection) that these suits are large and bulky. If I go shopping with the bike I have to put my gear in a shopping cart, and bring it with me, recently I have been locking it to the bike with a 6' cable lock. Cuz it simply will not fit in any of the luggage including my Givi 52 liter. My 2 cents, you should get the rain gear, it has never failed to keep me dry. I also recommend the gloves, and stay away from the day-glo colors it fades quickly. Oh 1 more thing skip the goretex liner and go with electric liner (Gerbings)for cold weather.

Just remember, ... Oh 1 more thing skip the goretex thermoloft liner and go with electric liner (Gerbings)for cold weather.
I agree. Never had any issue with the Gore-Tex rain liners, and they work well as both a rain liner and a wind break. The Thermoloft inner liner is warm enough, but I think you'd be better (and more versatilely) served by just layering appropriately.

Heidi, there is a small area of stretch material in the crotch. It's V-shaped with the point at the inside of each knee and is about 5" wide at the crotch seam.

Ha! No photos required, Mike. I thank you tremendously, though. lol!

I emailed Wayne & he told me basically the same thing as you.

I thank everyone for the comments about this gear. I can tell you for sure that I will not be buying the liners when I eventually do buy the pants. These will be dedicated summer pants. If it turns out that I need a wind break I will put my rain pants on. Been there, done that before & is proven to work for me.

Ha! No photos required, Mike. I thank you tremendously, though. lol!

I emailed Wayne & he told me basically the same thing as you.

I thank everyone for the comments about this gear. I can tell you for sure that I will not be buying the liners when I eventually do buy the pants. These will be dedicated summer pants. If it turns out that I need a wind break I will put my rain pants on. Been there, done that before & is proven to work for me.
We bought the rain liners and they look like they would do a good job if I put them in. They are just too bulky to carry on the bike. I have a set of Frog Toggs that I carry. I have used them as a wind break liner early in the spring. They worked well. Hindsite being 20/20 I would not buy them again. A lot of $$$.

Scott, I've heard your sentiments about the liners repeated on more than one occasion. The way that I look at it, there is more than one way to skin a cat (so to say). I have much experience wearing my rain gear OVER my protective gear. I've been doing it for years, it works well for me & I do intend to continue.

Hey, thanks for your offer, though. I've seen these close up. I was just wondering if something had changed in later years because of the pictures on the website.

On a completely different note, are you planning to go to EOM this year?