MotorCyclist Customizes a '13

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't bother me. I ride my wife's little Ninja 650R and that damn thing has 6 gears. We all get used to whatever we ride.
A kawasaki kx 85 has six gears too...the less power or narrower the powerband, the more you need those close gear ratios to keep the motor output up. The FJR motor has lots of power over a broad range. I don't really think it's even a money thing with Yamaha--they make plenty of six-speeds on some bikes that are a lot cheaper than the FJR. MPG could be the only advantage...one that might make them go there sometime.

My '02 Connie, had a 6 speed, as did numerous other (smaller) bikes.

I LOVE the 5 SPEED while commuting because I have less shifting up and down. When I'm touring I feel great @ 4k going 70 mph( Gen 1), and can still get 45 mpg most of the time.

When zipping around faster, I even forget to down shift occasionally due to the 'fun factor'.

All (4) of my bikes have a 5 speed, and I prefer to keep it that way!

My 2011 Connie had 6 gears. RPM in 6th was about the same as my FJR at 80. Gas mileage on both was about the same. I also had a 2006 R1200RT with 6 speed. Don't remember the exact rpm at 80 but it was close to the same as the FJR. It also got about the same mileage. I can get into the upper 40's on each of these bikes when I wanted to.

I prefer the 5 speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the new V-Stream this weekend at the AimExpo in Orlando. Pretty sharp looking, especially in the light tint. They should be available in a few weeks. If it works as well as the ones I had on my last 3 bikes I'll be very happy. Great windshields.

Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 cartridges in the forks and Penske 8983 remote reservoir rear shock. VStream windscreen and Sargent World Sport heated seat.
They loved the bike after the upgrades.

One of the writers took it on a long tour after and even though "sport touring" is not his thing, he said it was a sweet machine for long distance touring.

His quote: " IN the past, I've always felt the FJR was too much tourer and not enough sport. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age but this latest edition, made even better with a few mods, might just be the perfect combination. It got the job done for me - twice".

There is now a stampede of ST-1300 owners heading to the nearest Yamaha dealer.
Ordered my Penske a few days ago, and once it comes in I'll install it and then I need to swap the AKs out of my FZ1 and into my FJR
punk.gif

Ordered my Penske a few days ago, and once it comes in I'll install it and then I need to swap the AKs out of my FZ1 and into my FJR
punk.gif
I don't think those will be a direct swap. The valves may "fit" on the ends of the damper rod and cartridge, but the valving will have been set all wrong for the higher spring rate, of the FJR. At the very least the rebound damping will be too low for it.

You may be able to call Traction Dynamics up and ask them how they set the valves up for an FJR and then modify them before swapping them over.

punk.gif
I don't think those will be a direct swap. The valves may "fit" on the ends of the damper rod and cartridge, but the valving will have been set all wrong for the higher spring rate, of the FJR. At the very least the rebound damping will be too low for it.

You may be able to call Traction Dynamics up and ask them how they set the valves up for an FJR and then modify them before swapping them over.
I've already talked to Lee at Traxxion (I know him well, ride with him often).

punk.gif

I've already talked to Lee at Traxxion (I know him well, ride with him often).
Did he share with you how they set the valves up? Is it something you can make public?

Seems like most here are in favor of the 5 speed over the 6.I fall into that category myself. I love the power the 5 speed offers and I am not big on down shifting for passing.

The MPG is good, the power is good, the top end is good, so why fix it if it isn't broken?
I like 5 gears over 6 and I still tend to downshift before a pass.

I like to be about 5k on the dial or more when initiating a pass, and usually cruise about 4k or so.

I know it sounds stupid but... Well, I am used to sounding stupid anyway.

I think of all of the wonderful things Yamaha was able to get right on the FJR. I think of the tremendous amount of engineering it takes to design and build any motorcycle from the ground up. I think about how much thought went into things like the cam profiles, the timing, the throttle body sizing. I think about steering head angle, swingarm length, windshield mechanisms. I think about all of the countless little engineering marvels that make up the cohesive whole that is an FJR.

I'd just bet they had some good reasons for building it with a 5 speed transmission. I'd bet they had ample opportunity to make a change if they found out it did not work they way they wanted it to. I like that 5 speed transmission.

I just read the article and was very surprised at Cook's claim that the OEM left fork has a dead cartridge (doesn't have any damping) and Traxxion's fix is a live left cartridge that only has rebound adjustment.......but requires that the fork cap be removed to make that adjustment. Doesn't sound very high tech.

If he found the Sargent seat to be fantastic, I wonder what he would think of a Russell?

I have a Sargent and find it pretty good, but my skinny butt doesn't fill it out fully so I still end up with "sits bone" pressure points. I suppose Catterson @ about 220# fills it out and fits the design better.

I know it sounds stupid but... Well, I am used to sounding stupid anyway.
I think of all of the wonderful things Yamaha was able to get right on the FJR. I think of the tremendous amount of engineering it takes to design and build any motorcycle from the ground up. I think about how much thought went into things like the cam profiles, the timing, the throttle body sizing. I think about steering head angle, swingarm length, windshield mechanisms. I think about all of the countless little engineering marvels that make up the cohesive whole that is an FJR.

I'd just bet they had some good reasons for building it with a 5 speed transmission. I'd bet they had ample opportunity to make a change if they found out it did not work they way they wanted it to. I like that 5 speed transmission.
I agree wholeheartedly. The very best engineering, the truly elegant designs, are those that maximize simplicity in achieving the design goals, not the most complicated ones.

And I think I can guess as to what some of what those design goals were: For one thing, the 5 speed gearbox can be narrower and take up less space in the frame. Obviously that would be advantageous in many ways. The gears would have wider spaced ratios, which coupled with a relatively flat torque curve, are ideal for a more relaxed riding experience. Since there is no need for shifting the torquey engine to stay in the "power-band" they can space the gears out further and the rider can do less shifting.

The gear ratio of the top gear is all that matters for highway cruising. I once did a comparison of the FJR's 5th gear with a BMW K1300GT (their top ST bike at the time) and the new version Kawi Concours 6th gears. The Kawi was geared slightly higher and the BMW slightly lower, but they were all very close to the same final gearing in top gear.

I just read the article and was very surprised at Cook's claim that the OEM left fork has a dead cartridge (doesn't have any damping) and Traxxion's fix is a live left cartridge that only has rebound adjustment.......but requires that the fork cap be removed to make that adjustment. Doesn't sound very high tech.
If it was Cook that wrote it, that very well may be the case. He seems quite a bit more credible than the prior editor of MC. But I would have expected for the left fork to have a cartridge (and contribute some damping), just that it is unadjustable beyond the factory settings. A perusal of the parts lists should tell the whole story.

But Fred!!! When I compare spec sheets, the FJR has a 5 and the others have a 6. I don't care what you tell me, six is clearly more than five so it HAS to be better!!!!

Nah, why waste my time, I have a car...it's got FOUR wheels!
biggrin.png

If only I could afford a dually pickup truck!

If it was Cook that wrote it, that very well may be the case. He seems quite a bit more credible than the prior editor of MC. But I would have expected for the left fork to have a cartridge (and contribute some damping), just that it is unadjustable beyond the factory settings. A perusal of the parts lists should tell the whole story.
The parts list doesn't tell anything because the cartridge (containing the damping pistons and damping rod) is only sold as a complete unit and the cost for left cartridge is the same as the right cartridge. If the left cartridge is just there to support the spring I don't know why it would include a damping rod (as shown in the parts list). I just sent a email to Traxxion to see if they will give a definitive answer. Honda has used a "dead" damping left fork in the ST100, ST1300, and GL1800 but they just put a non-functioning damping rod in the left fork.