Motovation SLIDER install problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I thought the stock engine bolts were torqued to 41 lbs spec. Maybe I was told wrong.
Any of you fine fellows with the '06 shop manual got a spec. for engine/frame bolt torque?

B)
05 FJR engine bolt torque is 55nm or 41 ft/lbs

06 FJR engine bolt torque is 40nm or 29 ft/lbs

If in doubt just phone your Yamaha dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer is no, whatever a pinch bolt is. Besides, it wasn't in the instructions. I reinstalled the OEM engine bolts so I could ride it to the bike shop. They seemed snug when tightening them. I asked the shop dude to remove the embedded washer from the recess on the right side and see if the engine threads are comprimised. The guy said if they were comprimised, the worse case senario would be to replace the motor. :bad: :bad: :bad:
Ack! I hate seeing this kinda post. Sorry, man. There's a fix, don't worry, one will pop up here or at Joos' house.

Another fellow FJR bro emailed me with a remedy for the stripped threads:

"The repair will require what is called a helicoil insert. It's sort of a high-tech moly bolt. They have to drill out the bad threads and install a insert with new threads, you may have seen them before. If not Google HeliCoil inserts.

Also be careful if you use any Loctite or any anti-size lube on the threads. I don't know if you installed the Sliders "dry " but adding any lube to the threads changes the torque values. If threads are "wet" you reduce torque value.

" If threads are "wet" you reduce torque value. "

If you add any lube to the threads, or the underhead of the bolt you can nearly

double the clamp load of the joint. Which will quite possibly strip something , usually

the female thread.

Interesting. I thought the stock engine bolts were torqued to 41 lbs spec. Maybe I was told wrong.
Any of you fine fellows with the '06 shop manual got a spec. for engine/frame bolt torque?

B)

Damn, I torqued the bolts to 41 ft/lbs as called for in the instructions. :(

B)

Damn, I torqued the bolts to 41 ft/lbs as called for in the instructions. :(
Yeah, petey just advised the '06 shop manual calls for 35lbs. Motovation isn't making any points with me now (they "sponsored" me a set of the bracket type from the factory for my '04 a couple of years ago). :unsure:

I received this from Motovation today:
"Ed,

The aluminum washers was a recent addition to the kit and we have not had the chance to update the installation sheet. They are supposed to be installed between the slider and the frame. This was in response to a comment that the slider was deforming a bit from contact with the hot frame. We did not feel that this a serious issue but included them anyway to attempt to provide some insulation to the nylon where it contacts the frame. Their use is strictly optional. The larger washer would on the side of the frame with the larger recess and we will be updating the install sheet shortly.

Hope that helps.

Roland"

Thanks alot. Now to get the wedged washer out of the recess on the right side. And how would I know the extent of the stripped threads being comprimised?

Another fellow FJR bro emailed me with a remedy for the stripped threads:

"The repair will require what is called a helicoil insert. It's sort of a high-tech moly bolt. They have to drill out the bad threads and install a insert with new threads, you may have seen them before. If not Google HeliCoil inserts.

Also be careful if you use any Loctite or any anti-size lube on the threads. I don't know if you installed the Sliders "dry " but adding any lube to the threads changes the torque values. If threads are "wet" you reduce torque value.
Was trying to figured out what washers you were talking about, since I installed them last two years ago, with no washers.

They are still looking good without the washers, no deformation.

004.jpg

By the way we use helicoil at work and it is doing the job, easy to install yourself.

If you find that the threads are indeed damaged beyond safe use then heli coil is one repair method. However, these TimeSerts seem to be a better solution.

I just got off the phone with the people at Motovation and they said they will now omit the washers from the slider kit and not recommend a ft/lb torque, but refer you to the owner's manual.

For my stripped threads delimma, he suggest that I have the shop retap it at 1.5, instead of the 1.25 that is there now. He said the M12x1.5 is an off the shelf bolt.

Could Skyway send me sliders with a 1.25 bolt for the left side and a 1.5 bolt for the retapped right side? I must find out. :construction:

I just got off the phone with the people at Motovation and they said they will now omit the washers from the slider kit and not recommend a ft/lb torque, but refer you to the owner's manual.
For my stripped threads delimma, he suggest that I have the shop retap it at 1.5, instead of the 1.25 that is there now. He said the M12x1.5 is an off the shelf bolt.

Could Skyway send me sliders with a 1.25 bolt for the left side and a 1.5 bolt for the retapped right side? I must find out. :construction:
I would NOT re-tap this thread with a M12x1.5 thread, this is poor advice IMO. You will tear out any of the remaining material you have left in there and probably will not be able to reach the recomended torque #'s. How can you possibly cut a same diameter course thread, when there's already a fine pitch already in place?

You are more than welcome to try this route, and I'll be interested in your results, but not on my bike. I can hook you up with the right bolt if you want to go this route. Proceed with caution with this recommended fix Pegscraper. ;)

In the very least try this out on piece of aluminum first.

Edit - This comment was in no way meant to slander Motovation's product. I know nothing about it and my comments were purely based on the advice of thread repair.

I would NOT re-tap this thread with a M12x1.5 thread, this is poor advice IMO. You will tear out any of the remaining material you have left in there and probably will not be able to reach the recomended torque #'s. How can you possibly cut a same diameter course thread, when there's already a fine pitch already in place?

You are more than welcome to try this route, and I'll be interested in your results, but not on my bike. I can hook you up with the right bolt if you want to go this route. Proceed with caution with this recommended fix Pegscraper. ;)

In the very least try this out on piece of aluminum first.

Edit - This comment was in no way meant to slander Motovation's product. I know nothing about it and my comments were purely based on the advice of thread repair.
Advice taken. I'm awaiting the shop's prognosis next week after they get the new bolts & washers to install in the retapped (original thread size 1.250) and then start all over (fingers crossed) again with the slider install. Less torque this time and no locktite applied.

I'm stir crazy with this none riding shit. My '03 is in for plastic replacement and the '07 for the motor mount rethreading. :angry: :help: :moil: :construction:

In this discussion unless I missed it, but isn't the left side torqued first? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but seems I remember this advice in another post. Seems the engine could be put in a bind if not done. Hope you get the problem resolved. PM. <>< :unknw:

In this discussion unless I missed it, but isn't the left side torqued first? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but seems I remember this advice in another post. Seems the engine could be put in a bind if not done. Hope you get the problem resolved. PM. <>< :unknw:
El Correcto, painman. The lefto goes first. Something to do with the drive shaft being on the left.

El Correcto, painman. The lefto goes first. Something to do with the drive shaft being on the left.
I love the Motivation sliders, especially because the logo sticker on the end is so easily removed. I have an 06 & a service manual that I verified the torque @ 40Nm. The instructions seemed cryptic b/c there is very little to 'em. But trying it before I put on the loctite worked out. I have the version "pre-washers" and have had them in for 4 months/4k miles and have not had them deflect (I just checked).

The '07 FJR is back in the stable. The threaded holes in the engine have been rethreaded and new bolts installed. I guess my issue could have been placing the thicker washer on the right side, thus not providing enough thread engagement to accept the amount of torque applied. My shop said that 35 ft/lbs of torque is required. You should inquire with your shop or manual first.

The people at Motovation are very understanding and great to work with should a problem arise. If there is an issue, they will try their hardest to resolve it so others don't run into similar problems. The package does not come with the thick washer anymore and only one is provided now. Previously, someone had requested two washers, and Motovation tried to accommodate.

My '03 FJR has the Motovation sliders (that also fits the '04 & '05), that doesn't require drilling into the cowlings. Another great innovation.

Good luck to all and see ya at the WFO-6 this July.

I haven't re-torqued my sliders yet (been 2 weeks waiting for my hex sockets I bought on ebay :angry2: ), so my question is: if they only send 1 washer, which side does it go on, and is it a common washer thickness or something thicker?

I have 2 washers, but I can't remember if I took them off the stock engine bolt, or if they came with the sliders. I used them the first time around on the '06, but thought I'd leave them off if they are not recommended. They are the thickness you would expect for a common washer of that diameter. Sound like something that came with the stock bolt, or with the slider?

Thanks

B)

I haven't re-torqued my sliders yet (been 2 weeks waiting for my hex sockets I bought on ebay :angry2: ), so my question is: if they only send 1 washer, which side does it go on, and is it a common washer thickness or something thicker?
I have 2 washers, but I can't remember if I took them off the stock engine bolt, or if they came with the sliders. I used them the first time around on the '06, but thought I'd leave them off if they are not recommended. They are the thickness you would expect for a common washer of that diameter. Sound like something that came with the stock bolt, or with the slider?

Thanks

B)
My Motovation package came with 2 washers, 1 thick and 1 thin. The thick one is being omitted in the future (per Motovation). I was told that the thin one goes on the right side (between the slider and engine). The stock washer should work fine. Remember, don't over torque.

Hope this helps or email Motovation.

Ok, what a delemma. Going through the same deal. Got mine, 2 plastic sliders, 2-12mm X 100mm (4") X 1.25 thread pitch Bolts, 2 flat washers, and a spacer. The instructions have 2 pictures 1 of each side of the bike. It starts with telling you to start with the left side but the picture is of the right. Then the other with the picture misslabled again. The slider with the stepdown goes on the right it fits in between the bodywork, it requires the spacer that wedges in the frame, not happy with the fit. However bolt goes in well with lots of depth, Loctight (red) and 41ft/lbs of torque. The one sized slider goes on the left, no washer or anything between the frame and itself. Now TO MY PROBLEM !!!. The bolt is not of adequit length, 3 to 4 threads in and its tight, 1 turn of the wrench and i have 4 less threads OUCH. Pull out slider and inspect motormount, not to bad. lots of thread length left Re-install orignal bolt and try to find longer bolt. The threaded boss (motormount) is app. 1" long with 1/2" space behind. So I will jst go downtown and pick up said bolt 1" longer. WRONG. 12mm X 125mm X 1.25 thread pitch Cap Socket Head not so easy to find. The one place (searched about 7) that could get it said I had to buy 5 at 5$ ea plus shipping, Pass. Ok called motovation monday, talked with Roland gave him the lowdown he said he would find me a bolt. Later that day recived e-mail, 120mm (4 3/4) bolt on its way. Waiting on that, Should work, Will let ya know.

Banzai.

Ok, what a delemma. Going through the same deal. Got mine, 2 plastic sliders, 2-12mm X 100mm (4") X 1.25 thread pitch Bolts, 2 flat washers, and a spacer. The instructions have 2 pictures 1 of each side of the bike. It starts with telling you to start with the left side but the picture is of the right. Then the other with the picture misslabled again. The slider with the stepdown goes on the right it fits in between the bodywork, it requires the spacer that wedges in the frame, not happy with the fit. However bolt goes in well with lots of depth, Loctight (red) and 41ft/lbs of torque. The one sized slider goes on the left, no washer or anything between the frame and itself. Now TO MY PROBLEM !!!. The bolt is not of adequit length, 3 to 4 threads in and its tight, 1 turn of the wrench and i have 4 less threads OUCH. Pull out slider and inspect motormount, not to bad. lots of thread length left Re-install orignal bolt and try to find longer bolt. The threaded boss (motormount) is app. 1" long with 1/2" space behind. So I will jst go downtown and pick up said bolt 1" longer. WRONG. 12mm X 125mm X 1.25 thread pitch Cap Socket Head not so easy to find. The one place (searched about 7) that could get it said I had to buy 5 at 5$ ea plus shipping, Pass. Ok called motovation monday, talked with Roland gave him the lowdown he said he would find me a bolt. Later that day recived e-mail, 120mm (4 3/4) bolt on its way. Waiting on that, Should work, Will let ya know.Banzai.
I haven't seen the new kit, but from what I know the spacer should go into the recess that is created on the right hand side, when seated.

What model did you fit then to?

If it was an 06 model check your torque, 41ft/lbs is too high, try 35, don't want to strip out the threads.

I just installed a kit about a month ago and there was no difference in the sliders themselves....just 2 longer bolts, 2 shorter bolts, 2 thick and 2 thin washers.

I also had a little resistance about 4 threads on the right side but checked it out and it wasnt stripping so I went ahead and installed them to 29ft lbs with loctite on my '05 (figured ~25% less with loctite)

I contacted moto for screws and was told they would get two out for me to do the RH side b/c I originally thought they were bad, never did get them so between the crappy instructions and that I am not too happy with Moto right now on the sliders.

I just installed a kit about a month ago and there was no difference in the sliders themselves....just 2 longer bolts, 2 shorter bolts, 2 thick and 2 thin washers.I also had a little resistance about 4 threads on the right side but checked it out and it wasnt stripping so I went ahead and installed them to 29ft lbs with loctite on my '05 (figured ~25% less with loctite)

I contacted moto for screws and was told they would get two out for me to do the RH side b/c I originally thought they were bad, never did get them so between the crappy instructions and that I am not too happy with Moto right now on the sliders.
FYI- the '05s use a different slider setup (if you didn't have to drill a hole in the fairing) than the '06-'07 bikes.