Mounting Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrrider

aka "sprocket"
Reaction score
I dont know how many tires I've mounted on my FJR over the years, I've got a couple of stacks about as tall as I am. Out of all those tires I mounted one last night with the rotation going the wrong way. The bad part is I almost had it completely mounted back on the bike before I noticed wrong rotation direction. After a few choice words about myself, I took it off and remounted it...correctly.

I am sure I'm the only one thats ever done this, but the real question is "What would happen if a person were to run a tire, mounted in the wrong direction, for an extended period of time?

My brother bought his bike a few years ago and had issues with its handling, found that the front tire was mounted backwards. He remounted it, bike handled better, but he replaced the tire rather quickly if I recall, not trusting it after "taking a set" the wrong way.

With bias-ply tires, there's a risk of belt separation if they get mounted bass-ackwards. With a radial, that's not the problem, but they are still uni-directional because of the tread pattern.

As I understand it (from a conversation with one of the Avon engineering weenies a few years back), it has to do with the way the sipes/tread in the tire are shaped to take advantage of the forward rotation to help channel away water and improve grip. Running one backwards may result in increased tread wear, but would definitely affect handling, particularly in the wet.

So the bottom line is... don't do it!

Griff

I believe that once a tire has been mounted and run, (a radial) you cannot reverse its rotation. The tread patten is designed to throw water away from the tire. If mounted in the wrong direction, it would serve to collect water and throw it under the tire. Like on your car, how your tires can only be rotated front to back and back to front.

Ultimately, having a tire with no treads (and soft) is best for traction on a dry road.

If you had kept your tire mounted in reverse, it probably would not have mattered until you hit a wet road surface. Then who knows, depending on the amount of water, you might find yourself with your frontend slipping out due to hydro planing. IMHO!

some portion of it may have to do with how the tread design displaces water. mounted the wrong direction may increase the risk of hydroplaning.

I'll be the first to admit that I have mounted a tire backwards. I noticed it right after I got the tire all the way on the rim. I was not happy. oh well. It just took twice as long.

Older K bikes like to wear the front tire much faster on the left side. For almost 20 years, when the left side gets wore down, I have run bias and radials backwards to get more life out of the other side without any problems. I had to do this on my first trip to Alaska. At Edmonton, the left side was very worn on return home and the tire size was difficult to purchase. A service station loaned me a jack, pulled the pin, flipped the complete rim around in a few mins. Made it back to WI. My 97 has ABS, so the tire needs to be removed from the rim, but its worth it if you change your own. Sure glad the FJR wears even.

Hmmm, at my last track day, I started getting tearing on my rear tire on the left side. It was getting so bad that I could've gotten only a couple more sessions out of the tire. With a suspension adjustment, I was able to stop the tearing.

But here's the thing; the tire expert at the track told me if the tearing was only one side, I could reverse the tire to extend the life of it. I couldn't believe it but he said people do it all the time. This was with DOT's.

I dont no much about running the tire backwards, but I do own A bike shop & the goldwing trike guys always has us to put the front tire on backwards!!! I really dont no why Ive heard A lot of shit but with that being said the tires give them no problems & they do run for A long time!!!

Hmmm, at my last track day, I started getting tearing on my rear tire on the left side. It was getting so bad that I could've gotten only a couple more sessions out of the tire. With a suspension adjustment, I was able to stop the tearing. But here's the thing; the tire expert at the track told me if the tearing was only one side, I could reverse the tire to extend the life of it. I couldn't believe it but he said people do it all the time. This was with DOT's.
It's the track. People do all kinds of weird stuff at the track because it's a controlled environment and hey, people crash at the track all the time too, so one more or less won't be a big deal. ;)

Some of the Wing guys run rear tires on the front, reverse rotation for water dispersion, to get more life from the deeper tread on the rear tires in that size. Looks odd, works fine.

Hmmm, at my last track day, I started getting tearing on my rear tire on the left side. It was getting so bad that I could've gotten only a couple more sessions out of the tire. With a suspension adjustment, I was able to stop the tearing. But here's the thing; the tire expert at the track told me if the tearing was only one side, I could reverse the tire to extend the life of it. I couldn't believe it but he said people do it all the time. This was with DOT's.
It's the track. People do all kinds of weird stuff at the track because it's a controlled environment and hey, people crash at the track all the time too, so one more or less won't be a big deal. ;)

Some of the Wing guys run rear tires on the front, reverse rotation for water dispersion, to get more life from the deeper tread on the rear tires in that size. Looks odd, works fine.
I dont no about that, I was talking about A front tire turn backwards, not back tire on front thats some more weird shit!!!

I bought a used Venture that had a set of Avons on backwards. They were more than half worn when I got it, so I finished them off. Really couldn't tell by the feel of the bike, riding in rain etc.

Cycle tires follow the arrow. Car tires it does not matter unless you're runnig special tire like for a corvette etc. Years ago when radials first came out yes they needed to stay on the same side of the car. A few years later an x pattern rotation was approved for radials. If you are not sure just check with your local dealer.

Car tires it does not matter unless you're runnig special tire like for a corvette etc.
yippee! my Kuhmos on my STi are "special"

"Loo Lie Twubble!"

0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: