Mounting Your GoPro Hero2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Vid had my GoPro mounted on the very front fairing, just below the windshield. It's kind of boring after about 2/3rds.

You can see the shadow of the bike off and on, so it works okay in that way. That position also let's you see the lean angle, which after trying it "on the helmet", showing almost no lean angle, I thought was a necessity.

My complaint is that pretty much no matters where I tried there was too much vibration. My software could get some of the vibes out, but not all. Best I've found so far (for vibration) was on a Ram Ball mount. But I don't really like the view through the windshield.
The front fairing as you mounted is the only place I've tried so far and I'll definitely second the vibration issue. Here is a video taken that way:

I didn't want to trust the suction cup without some kind of tether, I bought some paracord so I think I'll try the suction cup on my next ride.

I like the idea of mounting to the slider with the roll cage mount, I may have to pick one of those up.

This Vid had my GoPro mounted on the very front fairing, just below the windshield. It's kind of boring after about 2/3rds.

You can see the shadow of the bike off and on, so it works okay in that way. That position also let's you see the lean angle, which after trying it "on the helmet", showing almost no lean angle, I thought was a necessity.

My complaint is that pretty much no matters where I tried there was too much vibration. My software could get some of the vibes out, but not all. Best I've found so far (for vibration) was on a Ram Ball mount. But I don't really like the view through the windshield.
The front fairing as you mounted is the only place I've tried so far and I'll definitely second the vibration issue. Here is a video taken that way:

I didn't want to trust the suction cup without some kind of tether, I bought some paracord so I think I'll try the suction cup on my next ride.

I like the idea of mounting to the slider with the roll cage mount, I may have to pick one of those up.

Yup, what you're getting is pretty much what I had prior to using the editing software and it's "reduce vibration" feature.

this video is from the same ride, but I edited it quite a bit and made it less boring and cut out the places where the sun was too bright etc.

https://www.youtube.c...byRBL-e8tk&hd=1

But even after that work, there's still places where it's herky jerky. So I'll be watching this thread to see if others come up with some good mounting points. I think we already have some but maybe there will be others. It's not as though mine is terrible, mostly it's okay, but would like to not have any wavy parts to it.

One difference though, you seem to be getting a lot of "clicky clicky" sounds... wind? I don't get that... wondering why?

enjoy,

if you're getting clicky-clicky sounds from your gopro mounting clips... use some electrical tape over them and that will prevent that. GoPro offers and gives a rubber thingy that now goes in the groove of the mounting clips to prevent any vibration and clicky noises.

Finally, I'm thinking of adding an extra battery. I assume the single standard battery is only good for a couple hours or so of filming. Agree? Thanks for any thoughts. I know Fred W is waiting impatiently to see the videos I'll be posting.
Mike, the bacpac battery doubles the record time of the standard battery. I've gotten 6 hours out of mine doing time-lapse with an exposure every 10 seconds.

I also put together some clips showing the point-of-view from some of the mounting points I've used on my bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YJ7fMb84FU

[Edited to correct link to video]

Last edited by a moderator:
So yesterday I tried out the suction cup mount on the left side fairing as well as the skeleton back door for better sound.

Overall MCUH better than the front fairing mount.

I did notice when I had the camera on the mount on the bike there was quite a bit of play in the whole thing, I took a small section of paracord (which I used to make a tether in case the suction cup failed) and wound it between the suction cup and the mount which pretty much eliminated the play.

I'm debating whether to get the roll cage mount to mount the camera to the frame slider or if I want to cheap out I could get a tripod mount, drill a hole through the slider and use a 1/4-20 bolt through the slider.

Finally, I'm thinking of adding an extra battery. I assume the single standard battery is only good for a couple hours or so of filming. Agree? Thanks for any thoughts. I know Fred W is waiting impatiently to see the videos I'll be posting.
Mike, the bacpac battery doubles the record time of the standard battery. I've gotten 6 hours out of mine doing time-lapse with an exposure every 10 seconds.

I also put together some clips showing the point-of-view from some of the mounting points I've used on my bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YJ7fMb84FU&list=UUNtVYryoGt98DA_6GC4I9rg&index=1&feature=plcp
Thanks... but holy cow sounds like there is a stethoscope hooked up directly to your engine! I've never heard a gopro sound like that on any bike, especially an FJR. Do you have it outside of its case? I think it's audio software is designed for the case being on.

Thanks... but holy cow sounds like there is a stethoscope hooked up directly to your engine! I've never heard a gopro sound like that on any bike, especially an FJR. Do you have it outside of its case? I think it's audio software is designed for the case being on.
Sounds like stock pipes because I hear no exhaust note. Bikes with louder aftermarket exhaust will pick up some of that sound when you get on the throttle. The GoPro comes with a solid case but you can get a open back case that allows some more sound in (but your camera is no longer weatherproof). But yes mounting the camera in the front down by the motor will sound like this.

In general the biggest weakness to the GoPro IMO is the sound quality. Being in a watertight case just doesn't allow for good crisp sound. I always use background music on my videos so it's not a big deal to me. However if your posting raw unedited video it will sound very similar to this one.

You can't beat the GoPro for it's watertight case, good HD quality and relatively low price.

I wonder if that's a side effect of the roll cage mount attached to the frame slider, after all the frame slider is bolted directly into the engine block as I understand it should do a good job of transmitting all the engine vibrations directly to the camera

What I want to try is an external microphone (I'd need to get the non-waterproof housing for this) and run it inside the fairing to right next to the air intakes. With a stereo external mic one ought to be able to run one mic to the intake and one close to the exhaust.

I think you're right with it being mounted to a metal extension of the engine. That mic idea sounds very cool but sounds like a lot of work to set up for rides. My favorite sound is mounted in the rear by the exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YJ7fMb84FU&list=UUNtVYryoGt98DA_6GC4I9rg&index=1&feature=plcp
Nope that's mounted inside the waterproof housing. Perhaps the solid mount of the roll-bar mount transfers low-frequency vibrations to the mic. (As raitchison suggested above.)