My 2nd FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyinlow

Reaction score
Picked up my new 2014 FJR ES last night. Had previously owned a 2006 FJR but sold it after a few years and have been riding sport bikes. Decided to give up the cramped riding position, no luggage space kind of ride. Looked at the Aprilia Caponord and Ducati Multistrada because of the leg room they offer, but they really aren't much more than the FJR. I knew what I was getting with the FJR. Forgot how smooth this bike is and how easy it is to ride. And the heated grips are nice, it was 48 degrees when I picked it up last night, have never had heated grips, can't believe how nice they were.

photo_zpsd7d840c2.jpg

Cool, welcome back. Heated grips are just so convenient and are real hard to forget at home.

I went from a 2006 to a 2014 ES also. Just didn't have the sport bikes in between. Your going to love your new bike. Have fun.

Mine came with the heated grips set to 1, 5, and 10. Can't tell it's on, can barely tell it's on, and OMG MY GLOVES ARE MELTING!!! on a 60 degree morning. I miss the knob.

Mine came with the heated grips set to 1, 5, and 10. Can't tell it's on, can barely tell it's on, and OMG MY GLOVES ARE MELTING!!! on a 60 degree morning. I miss the knob.
You can change those 3 setting to what ever you want in the one to ten heat range. Setting 1 should be at least four, Setting 2, maybe split the different between four and ten. Setting 3 at ten for those holy crap it's cold days.

You can change those 3 setting to what ever you want in the one to ten heat range. Setting 1 should be at least four, Setting 2, maybe split the different between four and ten. Setting 3 at ten for those holy crap it's cold days.
Yea, those 3 posts are user adjustable! I have mine at 3,7 and 10 and those work well for temps in the 50's, 40's and 30's, respectively.

It's the middle of May, when in the hell are you guys going to give up winter???
Yea, no shite! Yesterdays ride home from work at 6;30 am was 39 degrees! Congrats on the new girl. It is a progressive refinement over the years......even from my previous 08.

Finally was able to take my FJR out for a long ride last night. Between work, weather and other commitments haven't had a chance to ride since I bought it a few weeks ago. My take on the differences between my 06 and the new one:

-Throttle is much better with the ride by wire. The 06 had a pretty stiff return spring, this is so much better and easier, also smoother throttle control

-Suspension, better than the 06. I set my Hard dampening to plus 3, set soft to -3 and left standard at 0. Switching back and forth between hard and soft I could tell a difference when going over large bumps or dips, not much difference when hitting things like pavement cracks. Pushed it hard in some corners and found it better than my 06. Found the preload setting for rider and passenger worked best for me.

-Love the cruise control for those long boring stretches of road.

-The seat still sucks, need to get a gel pad or a custom seat

-