My First Post And The Ultimate Question...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadioHowie

I Miss Beemerdons!
Reaction score
Glad to see this forum up and running with such gusto.

I've been surfing FJR forums for the past couple of weeks in preparation for my "next big adventure"...i.e., purchasing an FJR.

Already an experienced rider with over 30 years on two wheels, and average about 14k miles a year on bikes.

My current ride is a heavily modified '02 ZRX1200R, with 25K one-owner (me) miles, so as I said, experience isn't an issue.

What IS an issue, is what my next bike should be.

Those of you familiar with the ZRX already know it's a terrific all-around bike... great in-town, loads of fun in the twisties, tons of torque and power...everything one would hope to find in a motorcycle, except for long-distance capabilities, and that's my next choice.

Not a replacement for Rex, but a stablemate. A bike to give Rex a break once in a while, to enjoy on long rides, and keep me a little warmer and a little drier when the going gets nasty.

I had already pulled the trigger and put a healthy downpayment on a new BMW R1200RT, but began picking up hints of problems with the new 1200 boxer engines on other forums, plus lackadaisical, if not downright poor, customer service from BMW. I won't have that on an $18,000 purchase, so I asked for my money back and began looking elsewhere. The dealer acted "grateful" to give me back my deposit, as if I wasn't "good enough" to ride one of his brand, so I felt little loss.

Been a Kawasaki customer all the 30+ years I've been riding, so looked to Mama Kaw for relief. Unfortunately, the Concours is simply too underpowered and too old a design to suit my tastes, and the ZZR was just downright uncomfortable. Too "tupperware torpedo" for my unsquidly desires.

Fortunately, a lot of the crazies at the ZRXOA forum, where I hang out a LOT, have said some very complimentary things about the FJR1300, so that's why I started surfing the forums.

I'm 80% convinced the Feejer is the bike for me, although I haven't ridden one yet, but I need that extra 20% push. I am concerned about the "ticking" issue I've read so much about, here and on the EZBoard forum (read Warchild's diary with great interest) and am also concerned about the comfort factor, especially in the leg department. I'm 6'4" with a 35" inseam and have read enough reviews and spotted many a complaint about taller riders banging their shins on the lowers.

I guess riding a Feejer is the ultimate answer, but I also guess I decided it was time to test the waters here in the Forum and see how many sharks were going to attack.

Hmmm.....

Tough call, I had a '99 and I sold it just before I picked up my '05 FJR.... I personally haven't looked back. my reasoning at the time was I didn't need two bikes so similar

(I had done a decent job of turning my Rex into a Sport Touring Machine)

I'm a hair over 6' and do fine... I know one guy locally who might be 6'4", and he had a Russel seat made that sat him further back...

Not sure if this helped, let me know if you have any more questions....?

Also, if you've got the $$ maybe a GL1800... (just an option)

-bvw.

Howie,

Welcome! My answer to the ticking ? is to buy the YES and ride it! I don't think my '05 is ticking at 16K, but there is some top end noise, pretty much did this since new. I don't understand why it's so hit or miss with the tick issue. I can't comment on the size restrictions to the FJR, so you'll have to wait for another member to comment. Althought the Bill Riley highway peg/brackets may provide some relief. Post somemore info about yourself, one of the great members here may even offer you a ride on one of their scooters. Good luck.

Mike

Hmmm.....
Tough call, I had a '99 and I sold it just before I picked up my '05 FJR.... I personally haven't looked back. my reasoning at the time was I didn't need two bikes so similar

(I had done a decent job of turning my Rex into a Sport Touring Machine)

I'm a hair over 6' and do fine... I know one guy locally who might be 6'4", and he had a Russel seat made that sat him further back...

Not sure if this helped, let me know if you have any more questions....?

Also, if you've got the $$ maybe a GL1800... (just an option)

-bvw.
Money isn't an issue. 53 years old...single...debt free for the first time in my life...disposable income out the ass. :D

But honestly, never gave the GL1800 a thought, other than "damn, that thing's as big as my Honda Del Sol!!"

I'm thinking the FJR will suit the "Hooligan" in me, with its power and handling capabilities, since it's close (enough) to my ZRex in power, if not poundage.

But the GL1800????? Damn that's a load of motorcycle.

Don't confuse me...I thought the FJR was the right choice. :lol:

Being the former owner of a BLACK (faster) '01 Rex and a ZRXOA member myself, I'm sure that you'll appreciate the Feejer as a long haul tool. The powerbands are similar and even though its a shaftie, it will wheelie! :p

Being the former owner of a BLACK (faster) '01 Rex and a ZRXOA member myself, I'm sure that you'll appreciate the Feejer as a long haul tool. The powerbands are similar and even though its a shaftie, it will wheelie! :p
I love the delusional qualities of current and former non-green Rex owners. :D

I recently test rode a R1200RT and concluded that, while it was a fine bike and would get you to any long distance point, it was not as much fun as my fjr. With the help and encouragement of many of the guys on this (and other) sites I am able to service my fjr and add electrical farkles - I don't believe I could do that on the bmw.

In the uk, depreciation is the main concern - as one mag said "The fjr loses value quicker than a Lada takes in water"

Tick? What tick? OK some may have experienced problems but I don't accept the failure rate suggested :rolleyes:

Paul

01 fjr

uk

Ditto....

But of course you have to agree that the Jade Green on the '99 was the best of all...

Seriously, I may buy another one down the road, and I do think that color scheme was a instant classic, and will look good for years...

-bvw.

Coming off a '01 Rex, I can tell you that I haven't missed mine since the FJR came in. Plenty of get up and go.....and weather protection to boot! B)

Take the plunge, you'll never look back and won't be sorry.

--G

I owned a 99 ZRX1100 for awhile and still hang out on the site once in a blue moon. That's a good community. I still think the ZRX is a great bike and probably the best value out there. It does everything well, is easy to work on, comfortable (once you get a decent seat), and just easy to live with. The handling isn't that great above 7/10ths, but FJR is similar.

You can't go wrong with the FJR. I wouldn't worry excessively about the ticking problem and the rest of the platform is very reliable. All bikes have issues of one sort or another and if you get unlucky, Yamaha will fix it.

Having said this, if had a ZRX, I would probably get a twin to compliment it, rather than another inline-four. In a way, the ZRX and FJR are very similar bikes - from the saddle, the FJR really feels like a ZRX with a shaft, bags, and better weather protection. Power characteristics are almost identical with the FJR's extra power being just about balanced by the extra weight. And both bikes to me have the same achilles heel - poor handling in the tight stuff with too much weight, cheap suspenders and cornering clearance issues. With money, you can upgrade the suspension, but the weight and cornering clearance issues are always there.

So to balance the ZRX and give you something that handles really well, I'd go with a Duc ST or the RT you were considering. Of possibly the new Triumph Sprint or a VFR. All are going to give you better handling and a different personality from your ZRX.

Waiting a year for the RT to get the bugs out isn't a bad idea, but this is a very good bike. Personally, I've gotten good service from BMWs and their dealerships, but it varies. They are expensive. I don't want to get into the BMW vs. Jap bike debate here - both platforms have their merits. But the RT would be a very nice compliment to the ZRX.

Don't get me wrong - I own a FJR and love it. But in the vein of a compliment to the ZRX, I would look over the field a bit and really think about a twin.

- Mark

Awesome analysis. Gives me a lot to ponder.

Thanks for taking the time.

Oh by the way, for everyone following this thread, and despite what others may attempt to lead you to believe, Green ZRXs ARE faster. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy Howie,

Same Rentaroo as on the ZRXOA. Please allow me to compare/contrast the modified '02 ZRX (Ivan's, full Muzzy, Scott's steering damper, fork brace, Galfer SS brake lines, on and on.....) I recently traded for my new '05 FJR.

I was facing the same issue as you several weeks ago. I wanted a bike that's more comfortable for distance riding, especially two-up (my wife rides with me, a lot!) and I wanted hard luggage as standard equipment. I added Givi luggage to my ZRX and the Zero Gravity windscreen, but that stuff looked too out-of-place. I also wanted the convenience of shaft drive, a centerstand, some fairing storage, easier oil change maintenance, fuel injection and other goodies.

I shopped around, looked at the ST1300, FJR1300, Beemer, etc. The bike that had what I wanted and at a decent price was, obviously, the FJR!

Now on to the compare/contrast..... ZRX is a BEAST and I will tell you the FJR does not possess anywhere near the shear brute strength that my ZRX had. ZRX had more HP, weighed less and would loft the front wheel with extreme ease. You can do wheelies on the FJR, it's just not as much fun as on the ZRX. The ZRX produced power in a very "in your face" manner, typical of big Kawasaki fours. Anyone who has ever ridden a ZRX will understand. ZRX is down a bit in the torque department when compared to the FJR, however with the reduced weight, it's not noticeable. If you were accelerating quickly on the ZRX, you felt it deep down inside your gut and you knew damn well the bike was mean.

FJR has a lot of power and torque, but it's very deceptive. The engine winds up, very much like a turbine engine (hell, it even whines a bit) and this fact makes the bike seem less powerful than it is. Don't be fooled though, you can reach the Ton very quickly; the experience is just a bit less viceral. This fact could be a result of the excellent weather protection. Not having all that wind blast makes the ride smooth and "buffeting" free. Roll on power is nearly the same. Both bikes have five speed transmissions and run nearly the same RPM at similar speeds. FJR is a bit buzzier, but I believe a throttle body sync and some decent bar end weights will help cure the issue.

Handling - ZRX could be a real handful if not treated with respect and when speeds increased, the bike could become unsettled quickly. FJR sets the standard for stability, at any speed, it is rock solid. Cornering clearance was never an issue with the ZRX though, even if my toes were not resting on the pegs. I've touched my feet onto the ground a few times with the FJR, mostly when two-up. And, since the passenger foot pegs are very close to the operator's pegs, I can't move my feet back much without my wife's boots getting in the way (and she has small feet!). May be a cure for this issue, I just haven't looked hard enough yet.

Overall, I definitely prefer the FJR to the ZRX. I'm not much interested in hooligan activities anymore and the FJR has many superior qualities such as comfort, handling, fuel injection, centerstand, ease of oil change maintenance....and other "goodies". BUT, I do occasionally miss the huge smile that ZRX would generate everytime I twisted the loud handle.

Since you're going to keep the ZRX, you should have the best of both worlds.

Last edited: