My GPS died

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent

Who said FJR's don't do dirt?
Reaction score
My touch screen on my Garmin died today, and I have no idea what people are using for GPS anymore. All I really ask is that it has a USB port, and audio out so I can use my XM puck. Any sugestions that won't break the bank? $650 seems a bit stiff for the Zumo 550.

My 2820 screen is taking the proverbial chit now, too. It was suggested to clean out the gunk that accumulates between the housing and the screen and that "should" fix it. I got all excited and tried it. No change so I disassembled the housing and gave it a good cleaning. Still no fix.

I have not tried the hard reset. I guess that's next.

There's a hard reset procedure in the manual. That may fix the screen... just say'in.
The hard reset only works if the touch screen will actually accept commands. Mine doesn't accept any touch commands anymore, and with the map update screen popping up, it will never default to the map page either.

My 2820 screen is taking the proverbial chit now, too. It was suggested to clean out the gunk that accumulates between the housing and the screen and that "should" fix it. I got all excited and tried it. No change so I disassembled the housing and gave it a good cleaning. Still no fix.

I have not tried the hard reset. I guess that's next.
I tried that yesterday. I even swapped the touch screens from my other 26?? unit. Didn't help, but gave me a chance to clean everything up. It's definatly "new unit" time for me.

So do people really prefer the 2720 for $400 over a new 550 for $650?

I have a really cheap 2610 that isn't working too well...so am looking. Is the 2720 really stilla good unit?

Big question: How long do GPSs really typically last? 2 years? 3 years? 4 years?

For Wheaton: I found a 2720 on eBay a year or so ago and upgraded from my 2610. The 2720 seller even knew enough to unregister it at Garmin. I wanted the same form factor so I didn't have to dick around with mounts and cables.

My 2610 still works, but won't aquire when it's cold outside. Otherwise still going strong. I much prefer the 2720 for the 3D "bird's-eye" view, but I had to move stuff around on the screen before I was happy with it. The defaults left not enough map and too much screen buttons. The screen buttons on the 2720 are not transparent like the 2610. Onscreen soom buttons are different, too, which took FOREVER to get used to! :)

So do people really prefer the 2720 for $400 over a new 550 for $650?

I have a really cheap 2610 that isn't working too well...so am looking. Is the 2720 really stilla good unit?

Big question: How long do GPSs really typically last? 2 years? 3 years? 4 years?
To answer your question, these StreetPilots had many features the new GPS's don't offer, were built very well, and were Waterproof to (IPX7) where IPX8 is the highest rating.

I have 2 for over 4 years and have all the cradles, cables, etc and personally would not feel like changing.

I own a 2 2610's, a 2710 and a Nuvi 855. Out of all of them the 2610 was my favorite, however the operating system is not of the current breed. The 2710 has the same operating system as the Nuvi and Zumo of the current day. One of my 2610 is a brand new factory refurb, waiting for everything else to break. The 2710 I got accustomed to and found most of the functionality of the 2610 someplace in the menu structure. The 2710 is also a factory refurb with very little use as well. I take this and the Nuvi on my tours. Never thought I would ever see the reason for 2 GPS's but I did and love it.

With all of that said, I now take the Nuvi 855 with me on most of my short trips. It essentially does everything the 2610 and 2710 does and was only 85.00. Not waterproof, but the rain has not bothered it at all and those times it is really raining, a plastic baggie works well. I do miss the voice commands from the Streetpilots. I use the garmin adaptor with the speaker to charge up the 2610/2710. The speaker was set such when I heard a voice I knew to look down at the GPS for an impending change of direction. Don't really need to understand the voice command, just need enough noise to let me know I should look. I occasionally miss a turn with the Nuvi, but it recalculates so fast that it makes up for my mistakes.

I use my GPS pretty extensively for taking me to places for the various grand tours that we partipate in and the other crap I chase like National Historic Places and Landmarks, Other odd ball places ya gotta visit before you done, etc etc. So I rely heavily on the GPS's routing capabilites and MapSource. All of the GPS do a very good job in this regard. Finding gas stations, motels, food places work in all. The 2610 was the only one that could tell me how far the next exit is on an interstate.

The Nuvi (and I will make a leap here) and the Zumo's routes from MapSource are loaded to the units differently than the Streetpilots. The Streetpilots would load the route intact from MapSource. (it seemed it was loading the GDB file versus the GPS file) The Nuvi loads the points of the route and when you import the route it calculates its own route based on the preferences within the Nuvi. I believe the GDB file is converted to a GPX file when you send from MapSource to the Unit. No big deal, just different. This requires you to be more careful in planning routes in MapSource if there are roads you just have to ride on. Make sure you place a routing point on these roads.

I can't bring myself to pay 500+ for a Zumo, when any Nuvi that accepts routes (not all of them do) will do the job. Like I said I bought the Nuvi from woot.com for 85 and have been happy with its dumb down abilities comparted to the StreetPilots.

You use to be able to get your 26XX 27XX and 28XX fixed by Garmin for $100, however I think for the most part they have stopped performing this service.

My 2610 screen shriveled up after about 3 years, my 2710 screen shriveled up after 2 years. Both times I left the unit on the bike outside in September on one of those nights where the temps dropped from 70's to the 30-40's and was misty out. On one of my 2610 shrivel ups I ended up fixing it myself with some transparent vinyl from JoAnn Fabric store. If I was to do this again, I think I would get the translucent vinyl to cut down on some of the sun glare.

When I do my multiday tours, I have the best of both worlds, since I mount up the 2710 and the Nuvi. My guess you will have to look for a used 2710 on craigslist or ebay. Make sure you can register it with Garmin so you can unlock the maps or have the Unlock codes with the unit. Given you might not be able to find a Streetpilot, I would look for a cheaper Nuvi for under 150.00. Walmart carries them now. Hope this helps.

With multiple GPS's you WILL end up with multiple maps in MapSource, which you gotta remember which one goes with which units. The Nuvi is far more forgiving in this regard than the Streetpilots. (again the difference between how the units are loaded with routes)

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I clicked your link and saw

Currently unavailable.

We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Which doesnt surprise me

Willie
Yes, They did have 6 units (Overstock from a Company) and this was the only one available... so since Repair by Garmin is now not supported...I took the plunge. Did not feel like experimenting with other units.

I clicked your link and saw

Currently unavailable.

We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Which doesnt surprise me

Willie
Yes, They did have 6 units (Overstock from a Company) and this was the only one available... so since Repair by Garmin is now not supported...I took the plunge. Did not feel like experimenting with other units.
Congrats on the acq..you gotta be one of the last to get a new 2710. At least you know it will be supported by Garmin. You might even be able to get a free Map Upgrade with your purchase. I would check this with Garmin once you get the unit.

Willie

Congrats on the acq..you gotta be one of the last to get a new 2710. At least you know it will be supported by Garmin. You might even be able to get a free Map Upgrade with your purchase. I would check this with Garmin once you get the unit.

Willie
Willie, Thanks...will do when I get it.

For those that are following this thread I found this at Walmart's site

NUVI 1690

Not bad for 94.00. I wouldnt be afraid of purchasing a refurbished unit either. This one has the following:

Takes up to 1000 Wayponts

Takes up to 10 routes.

Accepts a Micro SD card. you can store addtional routes on this and the unit. You can import them when needed.

This unit is NOT waterproof, so you cant take is Scuba Diving.

Has Bluetooth, but not sure what that really means.

Add POI's in addtion to Waypoints.

If it rains throw a rain suit over it. You buy 100 of them for like 2.00

Willie

Whenever talk turns to GPSes, invariably there will be suggestions made for use of various automotive models in a sandwich bag.

Not being waterproof is not the big deal breaker in these cases. Not being able to pipe the audio into your helmet is the big deal breaker.

A GPS that requires you to constantly look down at the screen is worse than useless on a motorcycle, it is dangerous. Unfortunately the Nuvi 1690 falls into that category.

The old Nuvi 765T was a full featured automotive GPS, and it included an audio output jack as well as the ability to pair the audio to a Bluetooth headset. In fact, feature for feature it was the equivalent of a Zumo 660 except that it was not waterproof. But alas, that model has now been discontinued by Garmin. You may still be avble to find refurb units for sale at a reasonable (cheap) price.

There may be some other, newer models that include audio output jacks or blue tooth outputs. That is one feature that is a must have on a bike.