My insurance just got cancelled--advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jekirby

Reaction score
I know this is premature as I have not spoken with my agent, but State Farm just sent me a cancellation policy for my motorcycles. I just have motorcycles with them and have had the policy for all of about 2 weeks. I have one out of state ticket that shows up on my DMV record but does not affect point total. S.F. said no big deal and so wrote me the policy for my new CBR and existing R6. I got a cancelation notice that said because I and my wife have a speeding ticket each they cannot insure the motorcycles. My wife is not a MC license holder and is not listed as an operator. This was something I was specifically asked when I signed up.

Has anyone had their spouse's driving record affect you motorcycle policy even if he/she cannot operate your motorcycle? I will get to the bottom of this tomorrow am, but this has just pissed me off tonight.

This sounds odd.
Are you sure of your MVR and your wifes?
Yep. Mine is the first ticket of any type in 25 years and trust my wife. The reason stated is my ticket last September and wife's sometime in 2008. I hope it was a typo, but it just was icing on a bad day.

Try progressive. You can do everything online. I did and they were much cheaper than state farm. Here is something interesting. My rate was lower when I added my wife. That's right, it was more expensive to insure just me. It was cheaper to insure us both. I called the agend and he verified it was true. Your wife does not have to have a MC license to be insured on the policy.

Interesting info Texan. Who'd a thought the insurance companies counted on the spousal helmet poundings to keep us in line ? ;)

I just recently switched from State Farm to Progressive (for my motorcycle). State Farm's rate was excessive in my estimation so I called to see if they could adjust (somehow); they said, what they charge is what they charge (I've also heard that State Farm will insure motorcycles but they really don't go out of their way to insure motorcycles). I did Progressive online, with the same coverage, and my cost went from $425 to $254 (and got an instant 'proof of insurance').

I still use State Farm for my autos and house and am pleased with their service on these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Insurance rates must vary wildly based on area. Here Progressive was substantially more than State Farm. State Farm's rate fell much sharper based on deductible than Progressive. Gieco was almost the same as Progressive. I sold the FJR in favor of a CBR. Before I made the change, I shopped rates first. I traded motorcycles and cancelled m/c policy with long time agent based on quote from SF. Like I said, have not had pow wow with SF agent yet so all may be ok. It just torqued me when the letter I received used language like 'uninsurable risk' and had a pamphlet outlining how I had a right to enter a pool of motorists who had been identified as insurance risks etc. One ticket in 25 years does all this? My policy is cancelled first of April, but OOHHH, the appeals procedure is to take 'not less than 30 days' ...it is like they are saying "Don't let the door hit you on the way out." Rant rant rant...

+1 on Progressive. Had everything insured with State Farm all my life, until they cancelled homeowners insurance on everyone near the ocean. Switched everything elsewhere and it save alot, doing me a big favor!!!! Motorcycles went to Progressive. About $275 for full coverage on FJR. I am so done with State Farm. I didn't make any difference that I never had claims, no accidents, no tickets in 20 yrs, and a good credit rating.

OK, here goes. Agent told me that State Farm under writers felt that since there were two people, over age 16 living in at the same address there was a potential that my wife could ride one of the motorcycles. The question was "what's to stop her from........?" Well, she is not licensed, inclined nor interested and it is against the law. Mr. Kirby, that is not a gamble we want to take. Two people with speeding tickets is too much of a liability, one was ok. I asked them if they would refund me the whole premium upon cancellation and they said they would only do that if they cancelled it the same day the policy was written. Mr. Kirby, that would mean you have two registered vehicles without insurance, we would have to report that to the DMV. You could lose your license. So I still have to pay them for 3 weeks of insurance. So my wife's ticket was essentially treated as mine when you figure in that she was not on the policy.

I went back to Progressive. The actual rate was a little less than the original rate quoted, so it is not as bad as I expected.

You have two sport bikes and both you and your wife apparently have a ticket on your driving record. Its a liability issue. For your wife to ride without the motorcycle endorsement would be illegal, but then so is speeding or whatever you two got your tickets for in the first place, which indicates to Statefarm that you have already broken the law and being a new member indicates to them you cannot yet be trusted. Perhaps they picture you and your wife having a wheelie contest down the local freeway! They want your money, without ever having the possibility of paying on a claim.

You have two sport bikes and both you and your wife apparently have a ticket on your driving record. Its a liability issue. For your wife to ride without the motorcycle endorsement would be illegal, but then so is speeding or whatever you two got your tickets for in the first place, which indicates to Statefarm that you have already broken the law and being a new member indicates to them you cannot yet be trusted. Perhaps they picture you and your wife having a wheelie contest down the local freeway! They want your money, without ever having the possibility of paying on a claim.

Well, it's a moot point now, but my ticket was not a problem. It was two tickets. Mine or otherwise. My infraction had no bearing what so ever. It was just out of the blue that someone who was not even an operator of the vehicles affected coverage. They were more impressed that this was number one ticket in my life. Granted MVR only goes back so far. The agent did speak to the under-writer on my behalf--I believe half heartedly--he had nothing to lose, the decision was out of his hands. Agreed insurance is a for profit business based on risk but they assigned risk where there was none. The other companies from where I had received quotes, both before and after this, did not even consider my wife as she has no motorcycle endorsement. So, I cannot agree that my wife is a liability issue.