My Nephew Has Been Bitten By The Bug...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has just occurred to me that maybe.... just maybe ..... I may have just become somebody's Cool Uncle.
Good, then Jacob will be all the more likely to listen to your advice when you pass on to him what he needs to know to survive on two wheels. Hope he has many safe and enjoyable miles on whatever he chooses to ride.

We were able to look at one nighthawk 250 last night. It runs OK, but man - it was rough. That puppy has been abused for a long time. I convinced Jacob to pass on this one. He's not impatient, but definitely motivated to say the least. I found a few older Ninja 250s and 300s, but they are more expensive overall, and the Tupperware's pricey even for a very minor drop. Clutch handles, turn signals, etc. are dirt cheap on the little nighthawks.

The search continues....

I have to throw one little shot of negativity here my friend. Sorry.

I am opposed to the idea of a 250 anything. I suggest you go back to the UJM 500cc you mentioned earlier. Please keep in mind that this is based on our area. It may not be the case in other parts of the country. We do not live in a "Motorcycle Friendly" place.

My Reason(s)?

1. You take away the "cool" factor with a 250.

2. Getting bored too quickly with the low power output can lead to stupid actions.

3. The span of time between Happy Purchase and I Need Something Bigger is very short.

4. Not easy to haul your girlfriend on the back.

5. (Most important) Down here we need POWER to avoid trouble. POWER is almost necessary for survival of a motorcyclist in our area. I really feel at least 500 cc is almost a requirement.

However, I 100% agree with everything else you have posted. And congratulations on being a "Cool" uncle. Within my limited experience, it is only possible to be a "Cool Uncle" when the kid is also destined to be cool. I hope that I am able to fit that description for my nieces and my nephew.

Update - August 15, 2014

Jacob continued to be patient and found a '01 Nighthawk 250 in Jacksonville, Tx for "price is right". I took him up there in my truck and he bought it. Only 4K miles. Dent in the tank from some vandalism, but otherwise, it's a cream puff. I was determined to bite my lip and let Jacob cut his own deal. He paid just a smidge too much, but he's happy as pig in slop and quite frankly, that's all that matters.

A couple of weeks ago, we purchased all of his gear at Cyclegear. He got mostly entry level stuff, but it's all fit for duty and I think he made good choices.

Last weekend, we spent a couple hours in my shop performing the typical preventative maintenance one would expect to do on an unknown bike just acquired. Jacob is a mechanical Engr major at our local university, so he really enjoyed the wrench session. He's completed the MSF course, acquired his Motorcycle endorsement, insurance, etc. He's also practiced several times in my neighborhood under my watch.

It's time for some adventure and tomorrow's the day!!!

I pick him up at 6:30 am tomorrow morning. He's got to work at 11:00 and it's just as well. His first official ride shouldn't be 400 miles and anyway it's hot as crap down here and the afternoon riding is not too great these days.

The kid's SUPER green but he's more excited than a kid in the candy store on by 1 get 1 free day and to be honest, that makes 2 of us!!!!!! I hear his mom is lighting candles nightly (bad Pants).

I'm bringing the camera tomorrow.

This is going to be good.

I can feel it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have complete confidence in you 'pants. If I had to pick someone to teach my own son, you would be at the top of my very short list.

Have a blast tomorrow. You may just be riding with the next owner of your '05 FJR... You know you need that ES. If you groom this kid right you and he might be like my Dad and his nephews, riding all over the country together.

Pants, I feel we are in a parallel universe, as I'm experiencing the same sorta thing with my daughter. Having the Sena's on both our helmets has been literally priceless. She has a tall learning curve, as the bike is her first time using a clutch. She's determined though, and when she said to me, while learning at a unbuilt housing development, " Daddy, I'm riding it! This is so much fun!", I felt my heart swell. I know, like me, you'll enjoy this time together. Congrats!

We had a wonderful 125 miles through the countryside this morning. Jacob did fantastic and his skills quadrupled just today. We stopped at a couple places to go over some situations and learn the safest way to negociate them. He learned about the m/c hand signals and other things like re-fueling tips and stuff like that.

I brought the camera and took a few pictures to celebrate the milestone. We went through some of the more scenic stuff we have around home and when we returned, he said that most of the roads road he had never been on before. Said he felt like he was lost in his own back yard.

By Jove, me thinks he's got it....

We had a wonderful 125 miles through the countryside this morning. Jacob did fantastic and his skills quadrupled just today. We stopped at a couple places to go over some situations and learn the safest way to negociate them. He learned about the m/c hand signals and other things like re-fueling tips and stuff like that.
I brought the camera and took a few pictures to celebrate the milestone. We went through some of the more scenic stuff we have around home and when we returned, he said that most of the roads road he had never been on before. Said he felt like he was lost in his own back yard.

By Jove, me thinks he's got it....
Glad to hear you're getting him started with the correct habits. Hopefully, as he racks up the miles, he'll gain the experience he'll need to survive on two wheels. The two times he'll need help the most are now, starting out, and in a few thousand miles, when he thinks he's sufficiently experienced but isn't.

UPDATE - October 29, 2014

Jacob is enjoying his Nighthawk 250. About a month ago, the bike wasn't running right. He did some asking and some searching and determined his carb needed cleaning (the 250 has only 1 carb). On his own, he took it apart, soaked/cleaned it, put it back to together, and the bike runs like a top again. Cosmetically, he purchased and installed some front turn signals and a used speedometer that did not have the glass removed. He continues to search for a good black used tank.

Jacob rides his bike every chance he gets, but his busy college schedule limits his trips mostly to school, work, or band practice. I've seen the bike parked on campus and I'm pleased to see his jacket, helmet, and gloves stowed on the seat. Jacob admits that although he also wears his riding boots every time, on class days, he wears blue jeans instead of the riding pants I gave him. I reminded him of the risks and suggested he save for some overpants that might be more convenient for him. I just thought about the Draggin Jeans too. Christmas is coming - I'll have a chat with the family about this.

I've taken Jacob on a couple of day trips, and his riding continues to improve. However, his schedule refused to allow him to join me for the last two invites. He called me to say he hoped I wasn't upset with him refusing my invitation. He told me he had a blast when we rode together and wants to do it some more, but he just doesn't have the time. Of course I understand and hopefully, we'll get another chance soon. I'm thinking about an overnight camping trip in the National Forest about 100 miles from home.

Finally, I asked Jacob if he was getting tired or bored with the 250 and itching for a bigger bike. Imagine my pleasant surprise when he replied that he loves his bike and is very comfortable with it. He thinks he might want to look at the bigger nighthawk (750), but not for a good while.

A 20 year old that is doing it right. Ride on, my nephew.

Pants, a great thread. You have indeed been the Good Uncle - the Fun Uncle - the Wise Uncle. I wish I'd had someone to counsel and teach me. Riding with family can cause some extra trepidation, but much joy and bonding. I gave most of my nieces and nephews rides on my bikes when they were children, careful to never scare one; just tried to show them the freedom of moving through the open air. Since then, I have ridden with three nephews who've taken up the sport, as well as two brothers, a sister and brother-in-law, and of course my wife and my own son. Motorcycling has become a family affair and, for better or worse, I'm probably responsible. As you've stressed, I have always stressed as well: if you're gonna do it, then do it right. Good for you...and Jacob.

As far as showing newbs pics of crash victims...no. Just tell them road rash is the same injury as a burn, except much dirtier which requires much scrubbing of the wounds. And let them know riding motorcycles is approximately 35 times more dangerous than driving a car. If they're too dense to get this, then you'd be wasting your breath anyway.

Congrats, hppants, it appears that your lessons have been heard and -- in general -- heeded. I'll bet Jacob isn't blowing you off. He's probably itching to ride with his cool uncle, the uncle that's shown him how to ride.

Hey, if he's in the band, football season is super-busy. Been there, done that, and proud of it.

Great thread and great story pants! Please continue updating this as time goes on, it's great to read about the journey you're on with your nephew. Good on you for being a true mentor!

Update - 12/23/14

Jacob experienced a rite of passage not too long ago. A flat rear tire while riding. He was able to bring the bike to an uneventful stop. He bought a new tire and tube (NH250 has tubed tires) and we swapped it in my shop.

Also, Jacob's dented fuel tank finally caught up with him. Some rust along one of the seams finally penetrated through and the dented tank started leaking. He found a NOS tank from a honda dealer going out of business. He swapped that out himself and rides on.

Jacob is starting to itch for a larger bike, but is content to be patient until he decides what kind of riding he will eventually migrate to. He now knows that bigger displacement is only part of the equation. He has a few thousand miles of mostly commuting under his belt and I am amazed at how much he knows in a relatively short time. During a family gathering last weekend, we talked a lot about bikes and Jacob is no longer a newbie, for sure. He has sat on my bike and was surprised at how heavy it feels compared to his current ride. I'm tempted to let him take the FJR down the road and back - just to let him feel the power of the beast once. A little teaser of what's coming up. Eh... we'll see.

We are hoping to go camping this weekend on the bikes, but the weather forecast is not cooperating much.

Update - 1/25/15

Jacob's itch for a larger motorcycle got scratched. Last week, he picked up this bike:

IMG_0516_zps292af11e.jpg

2004 Honda CB600F (Baby Hornet). 6,500 miles. Been dropped at low speed on both sides, but damage is only cosmetic. It needs a good day in my shop. Next weekend, we are going to:

Flush coolant

Flush brakes

Lubriate all pivot points

Change fork oil

Repalce bent front brake handle

Replace bent rear brake pedal

Replace rashed t/s cover, timing chain cover, and stator cover

Blow out the air filter

Replace both tires

Clean and adjust chain and sprockets

Change engine oil.

It's got a small dent on the fuel tank, and unfortunately the paint has been flaking for a while. Inside of the tank is good, but we will have to take a wire wheel to my dremel tool and lightly buff the dent and put some paint on it. Otherwise, it needs a 1/2 can of seafoam and a good day's ride. Typical Honda inline 4 carbeurated cold natured bike. Once you warm her up, she goes pretty good. The cams seem fairly linear - there's a mild hit around 7K, but otherwise, she pulls about the same. Compared to the FJR, it feels like riding a moped. This would make a good twisty bike for Deal's Gap and areas like that. It's upright enough to ride all day, yet it's super light and flickable. It's got a 2 brothers can on it and holy shit, it that thing loud. 2-bros sells a sound reducing tip that I think Jacob is going to purchase. He will also get a set of frame sliders and either a fly screen or a small windscreen for it. He may get some bar risers too. Givi makes a top case rack for it and Jacob wants to get one for later down the road.

Jacob gave the seller $1,300.00 which I thought was a good buy even though he has to put around $500.00 more into it (including the tires).

Specs say its 97 hp and about 425 pounds wet. A HUGE jump from the 19 HP 250 nighthawk. I told Jacob that he should take plenty of time to get to know this bike. Still, this should make a nice 2nd bike for Jacob.

Update - 1/25/15
Jacob's itch for a larger motorcycle got scratched. Last week, he picked up ... 2004 Honda CB600F (Baby Hornet).

Very good choice.

My son bought a 2003 Hornet back in 2008, his first bike. Looks similar to yours, but has a fairing (this is in the UK
cold.gif
). It came fitted with sliders, he's added a Scottoiler, heated grips, Tomtom and a Givi top-box. He doesn't ride it enough, but he's put on 13000-odd miles since then, including a few 1500-2000 mile tours with me.

It's been absolutely trouble-free EXCEPT it went through a period of difficult-to-impossible starting. This was due to its anti- hot wiring mechanism going wrong. Found out the cause with a bit of research, the cure required a couple of hours work and a 10p (16c?) component change. Been perfect ever since. Oh, he did have another issue with the battery, which he managed to deep cycle a few dozen times during a year of enforced non-riding. Killed the battery completely. Nothing to do with the bike.

We're going to Spain at the end of March, the Hornet has sufficient performance not to be a problem (after he learned to rev the thing) - although my leader has a Multistrada, so we might both have trouble keeping up
smile.png

Interesting choice for bike #2. It looks like he is headed in the direction of a sport bike - possibly not a surprise for someone his age. After he has had some time in the saddle with a more powerful motorcycle, swap bikes with him for a couple of hours on a trip somewhere. Give him a chance to experience superior protection from environmental conditions and a more ergonomic riding position while retaining great performance. Its all about making better informed choices for bike #3. (he may still want to go for a full sport bike) I would hate to see someone lose interest in motorcycling because they are not comfortable on a ride beyond a few hours. I guess it depends whether he is interested in the adrenaline rush of a bull-blown performance machine or if travel and touring is where he wants to go. In any case, you have done a great job introducing him to motorcycles! (What was his reaction to your recent "Performance Award"? - you should be ashamed for setting a bad example!)

The riding position on the Hornet is much more upright than a typical sport bike. It's definitely more forward than the FJR, and the rider is completely exposed to the wind. Surprisingly, Jacob like the naked bike look but admittedly, his rides are usually not very long (mostly commuting). As (if) his rides increase in distance, he may come to appreciate the Tupperware.

Horsepower wise, while this is a HUGE step up, the carbs (v/s F/I) do give just a split second of warning before the motor answers the call. This may help Jacob during the transition. Like Mcatrophy points out, you do have wind up the rubber band with a 13K-ish redline, but about 7K, if you feed the sewing machine, she will run the needle. BION, the motor is not my major worry for Jacob. It's the brakes. The front and rear drums on the Nighthawk were mere suggestions. This bike has real brakes. He now has to re-train his muscle memory for braking in emergency situations. I've been preaching that for a couple of weeks now - I know he will take this seriously, but the truth is, he will have to practice, practice, practice. At least he will have brand new shoes to practice on.

I neglected to mention my performance award to anyone except you fine people.... guess it sort or slipped my mind.....
rolleyes.gif

Jacob came over last night with a brand new hydraulic bike lift from Harbor Freight. We had a hell of a time building blocks and strapping the bike to the lift. Once that was done, we remove the wheels - they are in the back of my truck and will get new shoes today. We plan to spend time together wrenching this afternoon and evening and tomorrow morning. Depending on our progress, he should be ready to go tomorrow.

The kid is so excited, he can hardly control himself. To tell the truth, so am I.