My New Cherry Baby

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motochick

Reaction score
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/295679...5aa38e6.jpg?v=0

Sorry not the best picture, but this is San Francisco and it was very cold and foggy today.

I just picked her up today :yahoo:

Ain't she pretty? :D

The bike had 12K but was very well taken care of. Looks like it came right out of the showroom!

I really enjoyed the ride home but a couple of bothersome things I noticed were the throttle was very different from any other bike I've owned. It tended to lunge a lot between shifts and the throttle switch seemed hard to turn. Besides getting used to that different throttle response, I like it :) :)

-jen

congrats on ya new bike

check out this link for the throttle

click here

i added the g2 tube to my 07 and it seemed to help a lot. you also should get a throttle body synch done too

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jen,

Love the West Coast! There is ALOT of info on this forum about the throttle issue. The G2 tube and throttle lock are great solutions. You may want to let one turn off the throttle spring too. most more pics!!

Rob

Thanks Guys!!

I just looked thru the Bin-O-Facts and found what I needed on the throttle. I noticed a method of using a copper wire shim for the "cam effect". Is this quite effective or do most prefer the after market G2?

-jen

To solve that lunging shifting issue, you may want to adjust your throttle a little bit. Taking up some of the slack in mine solved 95% of that. The cable runs off your throttle which has a little black sheath covering an adjustment bolt about 3-4" from the throttle. Don't take up too much though cuz then it won't want to return. Just a thought.

From what I hear, go with the G2. I really wonder why so many seem to have heavy throttle issues and mine is great. Honestly, it feels just like the '08s I have seen and messed with. All I can figure is my FJR was made late '07 and maybe Yamaha had already begun the upgrade. That could be total BS, but it's all I got. Enjoy your new ride.

Jen, glad to see you finally got the Feej. Enjoy it and look out for some NORCAL tech days, some of the other folks on the Forum love to help! B)
Yes I see there are many NorCal riders here and I would love to attend a tech day. I have wrenched all my bikes but I definitely need a service manual before I get too deep into the FJR.

A little off topic, but I can't find any info on this. Does anyone know how to transfer the Yamaha Y.E.S. warranty? The guy I bought the bike from purchased a 4 year warranty Y.E.S.

-jen

Jen, glad to see you finally got the Feej. Enjoy it and look out for some NORCAL tech days, some of the other folks on the Forum love to help! B)
Yes I see there are many NorCal riders here and I would love to attend a tech day. I have wrenched all my bikes but I definitely need a service manual before I get too deep into the FJR.

A little off topic, but I can't find any info on this. Does anyone know how to transfer the Yamaha Y.E.S. warranty? The guy I bought the bike from purchased a 4 year warranty Y.E.S.

-jen
Jen,

Contact the local Yammy dealers in your area, ask to speak to the Finance Department, as these are the folks that will help you. I had to call around because some of them wanted money to do it. I found one that did it for free and I had my new Y.E.S. Warranty card within a couple of weeks. Most of the stealers that wanted money were asking 25 bucks as a so called processing fee. Funny part for me was that the place that did my swap, was the same place that tried to shaft me on a trade when I was looking to buy my bike. I had test drove a Cherry and was ready to lay down the cash and sign on the line. They did a bait and switch on me, lied about giving me a good value on my trade so I told them to pack sand and walk. :angry2: I bought my '06 AE from a private owner that worked for Yamaha Corp as the West Coast Sales rep and got a killer deal on it, he bought the Warranty for me at his price and threw it in with the bike price, all I had to do was the transfer. The fun part was riding in on my Feej and smiling as I walked past the two slack jawed salesmen that I had been dealing with. One of the best days of my life. :D

hey! that's my bike! (runs out to the parking garage to make sure it's still there) :)

Course mine has more bug splats, dings, and a top box:)

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/295679...5aa38e6.jpg?v=0Sorry not the best picture, but this is San Francisco and it was very cold and foggy today.

The bike had 12K but was very well taken care of. Looks like it came right out of the showroom!

I really enjoyed the ride home but a couple of bothersome things I noticed were the throttle was very different from any other bike I've owned. It tended to lunge a lot between shifts and the throttle switch seemed hard to turn. Besides getting used to that different throttle response, I like it :) :)

-jen

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/295679...5aa38e6.jpg?v=0Sorry not the best picture, but this is San Francisco and it was very cold and foggy today.

-jen
Loosen the throttle spring one round and you will think you got a new to you bike again. It makes that much difference.

Well I put my first real test on the bike yesterday in the hills and twisties near the San Mateo coast. Before this, I changed the oil/filter (Rotella Synth), sync TB's, checked TPS (okay), released throttle spring a turn, added G2, and put on a new rear tire (Metzler OEM).

With one of the recommended suspension settings (a firmer setup), the bike felt great. Very confident with it leaned way over. In fact I was able to scrub the rear tire off all the way to the edge. I was amazed at how nimble the bike felt from slow hairpins, to sweepers, to switchbacks. Not quite as light but just as confident as my previous SV1000. I just have to remember its a heavier bike so my braking needs to be earlier. But there are limits to my aggressive riding on the backroads due to all the dangers of obstacles and critters.

My only complaint is there is still something weird with the power range. There is a big flat spot around 3000 rpms and then the motor surges and takes off when more throttle is applied. I've booked a date with my local dealer to get the new ECU installed. Hopefully that might solve the problem.

-jen

The throttle on the 07 is much more sensative than tehe 05. I lubed the throttle linkages carefully and well. Then I put on the G2 and changed to tehe 05 clutch servo and added a power commander II. The G2 and powercommander will make a noticable difference. and I would do them in that order. The PCII you can load with the wally smoothness map and it will smooth out the throttle responce. I don't notice a dead spot at 3000 but I didn't notice it before the changes either.

Welcome, it is a great bike and enjoy the ride.

Hey Jen...

She's a beaut'! Looks just like mine, which I picked up about a month ago. I too noticed the throttle response as being compeltely different from my previous bike - but that didn't surprise me. The jury's still out for me on whether I make any mods to it. I need to get some more miles in the saddle. I hate to make any changes without first knowing for sure that I need to.

Oh, and I'm so sorry to hear about your poor SF weather <_< . I'm afraid my 07 will have to go into the stable for the winter very soon...

Enjoy!

My only complaint is there is still something weird with the power range. There is a big flat spot around 3000 rpms and then the motor surges and takes off when more throttle is applied. I've booked a date with my local dealer to get the new ECU installed. Hopefully that might solve the problem.
-jen
Hi Jen,

Congrats on the new ride.

PCIII is the fix! :)

Hi Jen,Congrats on the new ride.

PCIII is the fix! :)
Hey is that Jorge Lorenzo doing one of his high flying acts as your avatar? :clapping:

Just an UPDATE:

I did 100 freeway miles on the bike today and the throttle response felt great, nice and linear (the G2 really is a great addition). So I think the service bulletin regarding altitude sickness might be affecting my bike since I often ride up and down from sea level to a couple thousand feet. I would eventually like a PCIII, but they are expensive and I've about drained the bank getting this bike setup to my liking :dribble:

-jen

Just an UPDATE:I did 100 freeway miles on the bike today and the throttle response felt great, nice and linear (the G2 really is a great addition). So I think the service bulletin regarding altitude sickness might be affecting my bike since I often ride up and down from sea level to a couple thousand feet. I would eventually like a PCIII, but they are expensive and I've about drained the bank getting this bike setup to my liking :dribble:

-jen
First:

:clapping: [SIZE=14pt]Congratulations!![/SIZE] :clapping:

[SIZE=8pt].....Yet another successful assimilation.....[/SIZE]

While you are at the dealer, have them check their computer for any recalls. The older bikes (I have an '05) had a TPS recall. You might as well get everything updated while you are there.

Wait until you ride with the new ECU (I seem to remember you saying something to that effect) before worrying about spending more money. It could be you need to get more used to the FJR, but some owners do report the power surge you are experiencing. More sedate, calm and controlled touring riders, like me, don't have those issues.