My new FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the new bike! I really like the look of the matte finish - looks fantastic in bright daylight IMHO.I was thinking about a new one to replace my high miles '07 but I got too good a deal on a used 2011 instead. I'll just wait for the NEXT generation.

(Never a fan of the K&N air filters. No power gains to be had and I'm not convinced that they remove particulates as well as OEM.)
I agree on ^^^^ comment about K&N air filters.
I've used the K&N's for years on all my rolling stock. If you keep a vehicle very long, they're cheaper than replacing the stock ones.

I've been a member of this forum for a long time, but mostly read other posts about maintenance, etc. On October 17, I traded my 04 FJR that's never had a wrench turned on it except for maintenance for a 2018 1300ES.
All I can say is WOW. Why did I wait so long? If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Cruise control alone was a good enough reason to trade. All the other goodies, ABS, TCS and adjustable suspension just made it better.

I have only one question right now, does Yamaha honestly call a screw driver and an allen wrench a tool kit? I know you have to have some good tools, and I do, but my old bike had a pair of pliers, spark plug wrench and a few other items that could be used if necessary,

The first thing I've done is install a K&N filter. I'm sure more will follow.
Installed a GIVI V47NNT with backrest pad today.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which tools would make up a good basic kit?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just about to get a 2018ES.

My 2007 impacted a deer at 72 mph on Route 70 at night. I stayed on, most people are of the opinion that my ass was eating the seat! It took out the front brakes, ruptured the cooling system, bent the forks, and exploded all the headlights, fairings and windscreen. I stopped 1/4 mile further on with the rear brake and shut of the engine. 96,571 miles. The was deer hair between the front fire and the rim, as well as other bits around the forks. My ‘stich saved me from the flying plastic. This was a night so it goes dark after the flash of deer. Came out of the bushes in the median.

So I will get to answer the question about the extra gear. I hope to be surprised. My 07 saved my life so it is a no brained to get another FJR. My wife is supportive, with the comment, “if I didn’t let you go off motorcycling, you would find another high risk hobby”. I like the phantom blue but have yet to see it in the flesh, tomorrow!

I just completed a new master bathroom/spa which saved easily $50k over having contractors do it, and lots of points, so the new FJR is “paid” for in more ways than one.

Wow. Congratulations on staying vertical throughout, and, yes, the new blue is really cool!

I just took a short ride on mine. 42 degrees here in Ohio and I was very comfortable thanks to the heated grips and cold weather gear. It was a nice ride.

Congratulations on the new Feej; I am enjoying the little time I have been spending with mine for 9 months.....work sure can...whaaaa whaaaa whaaa.

Good features, being in TX and had a little cold spell, I remembered that oh, we have heated grips on board, I started looking for the trotter switch.....lol.

Took a second to remember how to toggle menu to get to it...

I agree with the 6th gear, however haven't hit the long distance ride yet, sure the benefit kicks in there on longer ranges.

No issue with seats for me, not even on the 08 or 04.

My biggest issue is what exhaust to put on it if anything. Kind of like the quietness; then I sure miss my D&D's on the 08.

Enjoy and ride safe....

Congratulations on the new Feej; I am enjoying the little time I have been spending with mine for 9 months.....work sure can...whaaaa whaaaa whaaa.
Good features, being in TX and had a little cold spell, I remembered that oh, we have heated grips on board, I started looking for the trotter switch.....lol.

Took a second to remember how to toggle menu to get to it...

I agree with the 6th gear, however haven't hit the long distance ride yet, sure the benefit kicks in there on longer ranges.

No issue with seats for me, not even on the 08 or 04.

My biggest issue is what exhaust to put on it if anything. Kind of like the quietness; then I sure miss my D&D's on the 08.

Enjoy and ride safe....
I went with the Yosh cans on my 16 and they sound nice! The kinda snarl and pop when you roll off the throttle in 1st a 2nd but even that sounds good.

My wife sold her 06 after 170,011 miles and got an 18A, not the ES. She kept her seat from the 06 as it was redone by Seth Laam. I also have a Seth Laam seat and it is all day long comfort. laamseats.com

I also got bar end weights for both. https://www.hvmp.com/product-p/yamaha-bar-ends.htm

I put the FZ1 mirrors on mine, there are pics here somewhere.

Enjoy your new ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot I had visited this thread. As noted elsewhere, a couple of weeks ago I traded to a 2018ES. The ES and LED lighting make a big difference. I looked at other bikes. Once I knew what the 19 color would be, I couldn't think of a reason to wait. It was nice to be able to transfer my shield, admore, armor, topcase, and laam to the new bike. Very well executed bikes.

I am just about to get a 2018ES. My 2007 impacted a deer at 72 mph on Route 70 at night. I stayed on, most people are of the opinion that my ass was eating the seat! It took out the front brakes, ruptured the cooling system, bent the forks, and exploded all the headlights, fairings and windscreen. I stopped 1/4 mile further on with the rear brake and shut of the engine. 96,571 miles. The was deer hair between the front fire and the rim, as well as other bits around the forks. My ‘stich saved me from the flying plastic. This was a night so it goes dark after the flash of deer. Came out of the bushes in the median.

So I will get to answer the question about the extra gear. I hope to be surprised. My 07 saved my life so it is a no brained to get another FJR. My wife is supportive, with the comment, “if I didn’t let you go off motorcycling, you would find another high risk hobby”. I like the phantom blue but have yet to see it in the flesh, tomorrow!

I just completed a new master bathroom/spa which saved easily $50k over having contractors do it, and lots of points, so the new FJR is “paid” for in more ways than one.
It turned out that all the 2018’s were gone, I got a 2019ES. I’m in love. I took it out this morning before the rain for a get to know you 60 mile mix of riding. 38 degrees. It is a refined awesome. The 6th gear is appropriate. The cruise control is great. Riding home from the dealership on Thursday night (with a big grin) the lights are spectacular. So far I haven’t changed the suspension level, just getting back on the horse and what a horse, after almost a month. Fine riding skills are perishable but come back quickly. I think a bigger windscreen will be a good idea soon. Need to apply the ACF50 to protect from the coming winter riding.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Yes, indeed, might be the first. Color? Pics?

... and don't forget to update your profile!