My tank burps and makes funny noise !

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slick72

Reaction score
Dearest Gurus !

well I have witnessed that my tank burps and makes noises of releasing pressure when cleaned with cool water , the ambient temperature is 40 degree centi grade and this happened to me couple of times .....is it alright or should check for any block on the venting system or should I fill less the till the top of brim ? the fuel is reasonable cheap when compared to my country and US ?

Kind Regards ,

Slick72

AKA Deepak

I doubt if it's releasing pressure when you apply cold water. Much more likely to be generating a vacuum and sucking air to maintain equal pressures. If your tank hasn't already collapsed then it probably indicates everything is OK.

If it were me I would definitely strip down and clean the fuel filler cap assembly, just in case. I would definitely not be applying cold water to a hot tank at any time.

A bit of background history here (there's lots more if you search) If you can't be bothered reading the whole thing just go straight to post #28 where FredW explains how to remove the ball thingee.

and a step by step guide with pictures here

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 Good links. The fuel cap venting system is prone to gumming up.

Maybe its the ethanol in the fuel. I know if I take in too much ethanol, I burp and make noises of releasing pressure. (Although I doubt there is much ethanol in the gasoline in Dubai)

FWIW, I have been running my castrated fuel filler cap for many years now, and no longer get vacuum or pressure buildup in the tank, ever!

I've also flopped my bike over, more than once unfortunately, and not a drop of fuel was ever spilled.

YMMV

Hello Gurus ,

I use 95 octane fuel ( we have 93,95,97 octane here in Dubai ) should I start using 97 octane to avoid gumming ?

Ride Safe ,

Slick 72

I use 95 octane fuel ( we have 93,95,97 octane here in Dubai ) should I start using 97 octane to avoid gumming ?
Good grief! Leaded or unleaded? If it's leaded you will need to do things the rest of the world doesn't have to deal with.

Your FJR will purr along just fine on 87 octane and doesn't need 1 octane more. You would be best served using the lowest octane you can get, down to 87 octane, then run an occasional bottle of Sea Foam, Techron or Yamaha Ring Free if you are worried about deposits.

Be aware that in Dubai, and much of the rest of the non-US world, gasoline is rated using the fuel's RON rating. That is why the OPs only available fuels are rated 93, 95, 97.

Here in the US we use RON + MON / 2, which is commonly referred to as it's Anti-Knock Index (AKI) or Pump Octane Number (PON). The same fuels would likely be rated roughly 87, 89, and 93 at a US pump.

The takeaway here is that the 87 PON, or 93 RON fuel is adequate for an FJR engine. There are (generally) no differences in detergent or other additive packages beyond the increased octane additive in the higher octane juice. So assuming that you are not having any pinging or detonation, buying higher octane fuel is a colossal waste of money.