My Turn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket

Reaction score
Just got an e-mail from Tony at Yamaha Sportscenter that my new 06 FJR has arrived. Hope to hear from Tony about picking it up tomorrow (21st). :p

Me, too, Ray, mebbe we'll get to visit at Tony's. I just gotta figure out how to get to Texarkana from Austin. Looks like I'll have to spend one night there. Are you going to try to pick it up Friday, or Saturday?

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Rocket,

Tony and the gang are great and will get you on the road quickly!

Be mindful of the weather- hail storms here in Austin today and currently under a tornado warning.

More predicted for tomorrow-

John :( :(

I'm happy for ya, Rocket.... you'll be a smiling dude soon enuf, bro. :p

BAGGER

Me, too, Ray, mebbe we'll get to visit at Tony's. I just gotta figure out how to get to Texarkana from Austin. Looks like I'll have to spend one night there. Are you going to try to pick it up Friday, or Saturday?
Hey Mark,

I am from Austin and will be picking up from Tony on Saturday morning. Have you decided when you are making the trip up there?

I picked it up Friday and trailered it home. I know that sounds terrible but why ride it home in the rain when I can trailer it home in the rain. Bike is still showroom clean and I can start breaking it in clean & dry. Enough about that.

Well, I finally got to ride it today (Sunday). Why, you may ask, did it take three days to start riding it. Look at my signature and you should understand. I have many interests in motorcycling and the wife and I had plans to go 4-wheeling on the ATV's Saturday and take the grandkids 4-wheeling Sunday morning. That done, I turned my attention to my new 06 FJR that was replacing my 04 FJR that got totaled back in November.

I have read here the many comments and opinions of the folks that have gotten their new 06 FJR's and know everyone has their ideas of what they like and don't like. But I got to tell ya, some of the whinning here is just plan silly.

First let me qualify something. My 04 had the sag set for my weight. I had installed Ohlins fork springs and an Ohlins rear shock set up for my weight. Dialed in compression and rebound, front and rear to my riding style.

I put about 150 miles on the 06 this afternoon and have the following impressions.

Suspension was set at the factory settings and the preload adjusted for my weight and riding gear.

First the suspension feels firmer front and rear. Not the soft mushy feeling my stock 04 felt like and could never be adjusted out.

Heat........What heat? There is no heat issue at this time on this bike.

Transmission is totally quiet and smooth as butter. First gear clunk is gone and replaced with a click.

My 06 does not have any whistle at any speed or windsheild setting. I even took the ear plugs out and still no whistle. Maybe it is just mine that doesn't whistle.

Throttle is fairly stiff. Will ride for another several hundred miles to see if it softens up. If it doesn't I will remove one of the return springs.

Seat seemed pretty comfy. Firm but compliant. It should mold into the form of my butt nicely over time.

Windshield........jury is still out on this one. I like it so far but may want one a little taller. Will see.

Handlebars are comfortable and angled nicely for me. Will try out the adjustments for fun and see it can be made even better or makes things uncomfortable. I ride sport bikes as well as this bike, so the ergonomics are great to me.

Coming off of a first generation FJR and getting on this one, I expected it to feel exactly the same. Well, it did and then again it was different. I could feel the FJR lineage but their was a difference. It had all the characteristics of my previous FJR but seemed to go about its business with a more focused attitude.

The only negative is this instantaneous mpg display. I sit at a light and it is blank. That makes sense since I am not moving. I pull away and it starts showing readings as I accelerate, then hits 17.0 and doesn't change. Maybe I have not activated it correctly or perhaps it will take time for it learn my riding habits, or maybe someone from Yamaha needs to explain what it is or is not doing.

Just thought I would throw in my comments for the waiters as well as the owners. Don't be angry if you don't agree with my findings. I have been riding for over 40 years and have my likes and dislikes. This FJR..........I LIKE!!!!!!!! Even better than my well massaged 04, and that is saying a lot!

Last edited by a moderator: