Name That Place Game

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been there and visited the museum up the street and those cars with their hoods in the dirt. But I'm busy painting a boat and am not going to guess.

So my feeling is that the road is route 66, and if I'm correct, that narrows it down to about 2500 miles :)

Edit - Have not been to Cadallac Ranch yet, but apparently this is close.   Hmmm....

Edit again - so it's "The U-Drop Inn" on Rte 66 and I'm intrigued - next ride out west, me thinks I'll try some more of Rte 66.

You are correct, Pants!

We actually didn’t know we went by Cadillac ranch at the time. We were trying to make Tucumcari NM on our big Southwest trip and not do any sight seeing or good roads until then. We just happened to spend the night in Shamrock and TripAdvisor alerted us to the U-drop-Inn while we were there. 
Disney / Pixar modeled Ramone’s Automotive Body and Paint Shop in the movie Cars exactly after this restored gas station / diner. 

Fire when ready, Pants!

Don't go too far out of your way. The Cadillac Ranch was relocated when the interstate went through, and it is just west of Oklahoma City. It is basically a graffiti artist haven now.  A hike from the parking lot across a field devoid of vegetation and flat in all directions, with a painted junk yard at the end of it. The colors change form day to day.

dKgatcn.jpg

IBQQnOn.jpg

Don't go too far out of your way. The Cadillac Ranch was relocated when the interstate went through, and it is just west of Oklahoma City. It is basically a graffiti artist haven now.  A hike from the parking lot across a field devoid of vegetation and flat in all directions, with a painted junk yard at the end of it. The colors change form day to day.

Thanks Tom, I see no reason to stop anywhere west of OK city for 6-7 hours of riding.

Well - I just went through 33 pages of this thread to make sure that I didn't post this picture before.  What a terrific collection of riding we have compiled here, no?  I will definitely be reviewing this for riding plans in the future.

These mountains are NOT where you think mountains should be.  You can see them unobstructed from any direction 50 miles away, and "sooner" or later, you will get there.

DSCN5712-X3.jpg

These mountains are NOT where you think mountains should be.  You can see them unobstructed from any direction 50 miles away, and "sooner" or later, you will get there.
From the hint, I think you leading us to Oklahoma which limits the possibilities. I think the range that the Talihina is on is not as isolated, but the ones on the west side aren't usually as green as your photo. Maybe Kiamichi Mtns just south of the Talihina?

Good guess, but that is not correct.  You do have the State identified, and since your guess was not correct, a simple check of the map should do the trick.

Edit to add:  my apologies for not replying sooner.  Been too busy fishing and riding!!

Most of the roads in the area look like this, but there is little traffic and they are fun to ride:

There's an odd little $4 ferry about 30 miles to the north. It crosses a river popular throughout neighboring states for its canoeing and rafting in the currents. Over 25 years ago my wife and a friend tied canoes we rented from the rec center at our university to our cars and drove over 3 hours to canoe here. 

Maybe not much help but I like this picture of a dam about 50 miles to the east still in the area of rural sweepers:

The river is the main thing the area is known for. 1911, there is a small herd of wild horses in the area near this place too, but I haven't ever seen them. I think it's one of only two herds in the whole section of the country.

And I'll go ahead and throw another big hint if the above doesn't help enough. There is (or was at least before COVID) an annual FJR event that is usually held to the Southeast of this area, but is occasionally held NE of it. When held in the latter, the road right by this place is always included and is mentioned as one of the favorites.

I feel like I've been there, but the pictures don't ring a bell.
Pants, I didn't dig deep enough into the ride reports to see if anybody stopped at this site, but I see lots of comments that they love this road. I don't know if you were one of the culprits. There's a good chance no one stopped for scenery on such a fine section of sweepers.

The town and road are "recognized for their superiority" (but for different reasons).

The feral horse hint induced me to cheat. All the wild herds we know of are either on coastal islands or out west on BLM land.

In about 4 days we are supposed to be traveling from Kenlake to Roaring River. Wouldn't have to go far out of our way at all to visit this place.

Assuming that we find gas :(

The feral horse hint induced me to cheat. All the wild herds we know of are either on coastal islands or out west on BLM land.

In about 4 days we are supposed to be traveling from Kenlake to Roaring River. Wouldn't have to go far out of our way at all to visit this place.

Assuming that we find gas :(
We still have plenty at our local station but it seems everybody there in line is filling up gas cans so it's nuts.

As I stated, I have not seen the horses so I don't know how hard they are to find. If you are on the bike, I'd sure recommend the road though. The locals just fly through there. I was frustrated on one of my trips through there that I got behind a dump truck. Then I had trouble keeping up with him.

Is this Hwy 58 in Virginia, and the wild horses would be the ponies at Grayson Highlands State Park?

That is a fantastic place - Damascus is one cool town.

(if so, then I HAVE been there, twice!)

Sorry, but no it is not, Pants. And I found Grayson Highlands for the first time just last October and I strongly agree it is a great place.

This one is in the opposite direction from me than Virginia. The event where I see people referencing the road makes me think of Green Acres. The nearby national forest is named after the man of which this great quote is generally attributed:

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so"

Also, 1911 gave a pretty good hint there by noting that he would be travelling from Kenlake State Park in KY to Roaring River State park (just west of Branson MO) and would pass not far from this place. Actually, it is almost halfway between.