Name That Place Game

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Griff beat me to it.  If that is Roan Mtn, I'm pretty sure that spot is where I witnessed the greatest fall colors I've ever seen in the Appalachians.

This thread is fun!!

Roan Mountain it is gents. And it's a special place IMO. We usually run it south to north. Hours of twisty technical tree lined switchbacks getting to it and then north of Bakersville the road opens up a little to sweepers with serious lean time and longer sight distances. At the top, Carvers Gap, 5000 ft plus, the state lines and the Appalachian trail intersect and then we start down. As soon as we start down the view to the west opens up for MILES.

46930636442_1898314500_b.jpg

46930635582_49afe0bda3_b.jpg

34739601863_0471cc5204_b.jpg

48515511981_b0de54a664_b.jpg

46258364234_d052320cae_b.jpg

NC261 From Bakersville NC to the Tn border where it changes to Tn 143. But if any body asks the riding up there sux.

And then whatever you do don’t go left at the town of Roan Mtn then to shady valley Damascus hayters gap Thompson valley volney rugby Helton lansing creston valle crusis.........

There is a great "2 wheels only" place in Roan Mountain, TN.  It's called the Mountain View Motorcycle Campground.  They have a bunk house that is super comfy, an airstream trailer if you prefer a bit more privacy, and a great level campground large enough for plenty of tents.

Well crap. I answered too quickly. I was thinking we were driving down to Durango that trip but thanks to Spotwalla I can match up pictures to exact spots by date. Scooter is right. It is about 2.5 miles south of Ouray headed north.

So OldMichael was right that SacramentoMike was not right and perhaps is never right. That cannot be proven from this post but may be used as evidence towards that conclusion :)

But I've been wrong twice on just this page, so we'd better not go there.

I just like contradicting Old Michael.

Ok, back from an invigorating hike today, so I will look for something to challenge these world travelers.

Ok.  Looking for the location of the first photo.  Offering the second as a hint which is only a few miles away.

DSCF1102.jpg

P1010857.jpg

I recognize the chair. It’s just a few hours from where I grew up. It’s in Casey, IL. I can’t place the event location so this one’s still wide open for the taking. 

Youse got it.

DSCF1103.jpg

For those unfamiliar Moonshine Illinois is more of a crossroads with the store serving as a place of convenience instead of heading back towards the nearest town.  Why it became a destination for the Moonshine Lunch Run can be found here.  I made the trip a few times.  The weather was always a challenge and the roads aren't the type you'd first think of for motorcycling but I've always enjoyed both the journey and exploring the nearby(?) areas.  Got to see a lot of things I normally wouldn't, not to mention racking up a couple of Saddlesores in the process.

And speaking of seeing things, who knew the World's Largest Rocking Chair was so close in Casey?  You've got to give that town a lot of credit for trying to entice folks off the interstate.  Also home to the World' Largest Mailbox, the World's Largest Golf Tee, the World's Largest etc, etc, etc.

MB1.jpg

P1010862.jpg

IMG-20160408-135830684.jpg

IMG-20160408-134616677.jpg

You're up FredRider.