Need a little decision help from FJR owners...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have them both. They each have their pluses & minuses, but it's all in the small details. Either of them are very competent. Heat issues, vibration, MPG high 30s to low 40s, short-lived tires, and seat comfort varies only a small amount from bike to bike. Both of them need a better seat.

Buy whichever one makes you smile most, perhaps the one that financially makes more sense. Neither of these are cheap or easy to maintain, as compared to say a 500cc twin. It may be you like the red better than silver (or blue). Don't get black, it'll never look clean.

My choice was my red 2009 C14 as my favorite, but I put a lot of miles of the FJR as well.

Comfort is different on different bikes for different folks (whew!).

I've ridden for many years, and have had a number of bikes - including in the past five years a ST1300, two Goldwings and my FJR. I'm far more comfortable all day on my FJR than I am on my Goldwing. I"ve done long trips every year the past four years. The typical trip is about 3500 miles in eight days, with several days over 500 miles and some as much as 650 miles.

My biggest fear of buying anything different than the FJR is that I won't be as comfortable on these long trips as I am on the FJR. I love the bike. Mine is basically stock from a comfort standpoint.

I know others don't like the stock seat - but I'm fine with it.

I switched from a VTX18C to the FJR - never checked the C14 (technically more appealing than the FJR, but the exhaust aesthetics killed it for me, not to mention the inconvenient and expensive maintenance).

If C14 is out, BMW ruled out for price, and ST1300 for its ho-humness, then you are almost left with nothing but the FJR. Yes, there are others like Ducati and Triumph, but normally these are not mainstream bikes that people consider.

IMO, there is no comparison between a cruiser, like the VTX18, and a sport touring bike. However, since you asked, I will give it a shot too.

Handlebar vibes/buzz

VTX - Non-existent. The whole bike has nice "thumping" cruiser vibes as intended, but no irritating, numbing, "get-used-to-it-sissy" vibes. On long rides, relaxing your right hand never comes to mind.

FJR - The throttle grip can be nasty depending on whether you "get-used-to-it" or not. Some kind of cruise control / throttle lock is highly desirable to relax your right hand after 20 minutes of riding.

Power

VTX - The 1800 is known for its massive torque, but slow down the bike in a severe climbing twisty and you have to shift to lower gear(s). Try to go into triple digits, and you have to wind it up like an aircraft on a runaway before takeoff. But, in fairness, a cruiser is not designed for those kinds of speeds.

FJR - Much smaller engine (1300), but the torque is amazing. You can be slower than 30mph and still be in top gear and smoothly take off to beyond 100mph. Between 90 and 120mph the bike seems very much at home if you wanted to cruise in that range for hours. Bike cruises very well at lower speeds too, but normally the rider loses patience with so much power available at the tap.

Fuel Consumption

VTX - Nasty, especially if you are riding faster than a cruiser's intended cruising speed. As a consequence, on long desolate roads you many-a-times go into a panic mode as the gas tank runs low very fast. The ride has to be planned carefully for mileage, and frequent gas stops are needed.

FJR - Fantastic; mentally very relaxing, and gas stops are not a priority anymore. Automatic fuel reserve trip odometer is an added boon.

Comfort

VTX - I used to have lower back problems and the VTX suspension would jar my spine going over potholes and the like. I am not sure if it was unique to my bike's suspension, but reading forums it was clear that the most important farkle for most owners was suspension upgrades. This was the main factor for me to switch to a sport touring bike as it made me lean forward, thereby mitigating the back issue. Though the VTX is heavier than the FJR, its low COG and seat position never makes you nervous about tipping the bike over.

FJR - Suspension is smooth as silk. Potholes don't bother me at all anymore. Bike is top heavy, and prone to tipping over if not careful. High seat would make one tip-toe if your inseam is less than 30".

Seat upgrades were necessary for me on both bikes (due to my flat butt anatomy). The FJR stock seat is very painful for me, and a cheaper upgrade (Spencers) helped a little, but not much (btw, Spencers is a fantastic vendor to deal with).

Storage

VTX - The "C" trim didn't have any. I used to carry a duffel bag on my pillion seat.

FJR - Great, coming from VTX's zero storage. The hard cases are really big and deep, and yet very sleek. The bike's aesthetics is not spoiled at all, unlike C14 and Ducati, IMO. Also, it is very easy to remove them for overnight stays. I always ride with them on, and speed is never an issue. From a visibility-for-a-cager viewpoint, I would think a wider rear end is better than a sleeker one w/o bags.

Heat

I felt it more on the VTX (though completely open, maybe that's why), than I feel it on the FJR.

Color

VTX - Quite a few choices.

FJR - Black for the latest ones. I was skeptical as many are, but had no choice. But, having owned it now, I would not settle for any other color. It makes the bike look even sharper. My friends, on other brand motorcycles, also have the same reaction when they see the bike in person compared to seeing it on a website.

Cost of Ownership

VTX - OEM spare parts are quite inexpensive. Needs pain-in-the-ass valve adjustment every 4K miles. Lower insurance cost. Higher gas cost. Wide negotiating latitude with dealers for new bikes.

FJR - Everything is opposite of VTX.

Forum

VTX - CaliforniaVTXRiders forum is excellent. Technically some highly qualified members, and never experienced getting flamed for not searching a topic and posting a question. Several would repeat the answers, or provide links to previously answered topics.

FJR - Great members too (look at the response for Tyler), and technically very sound. However, sometimes patience runs thin, god-forbid someone has not researched a topic well or missed it in a search and posts a question. (Age can't be the excuse since VTX riders fall in the same group. ;) )

Summarizing

I would never ride a cruiser again once having tasted a sport-touring. I had rented a FJR before I bought one, and after my trial I felt crummy riding the VTX. But, the VTX looked gorgeous too as does the FJR!

There are minor issues like older technology, uncomfortable seat, and top-heaviness of the FJR to deal with, but the handlebar buzz could be the deal breaker for me if a competitor came out with a better bike that is similarly priced. That is the only snag in long-distance enjoyment.

As you can see, there are many considered opinions. I own an '08 FJR and an '03 BMW 1150 RT. Each have their plus and minuses, but I like both. Each has been modified to suit my preferences, e.g., saddle, wind shield, and springs/shocks. The whole process of motorcycle selection can be reduced to a simple algorithm which also applies to a woman or a horse; Look them over the best you can, close your eyes, raise your head, make your choice, and command your future to The Almighty.

Now go pleasure the SO and suffer no more.
I have a 2002 R1150RT that I bought new and now have 64K on it. I just got a 2009 FJR. I almost went with an R1200RT but at the last minute I decided to get the FJR. My decision was based on several things: I had demo'd the FJR and liked it, the FJR would was several (I think at least 4) thousand less, questions about the BMW drivetrain, desire for a change, never heard anything bad about the FJR.

I'm still in the deciding stage, as I am a long term BMW rider, but the FJR is growing on me.

I got the larger Yamaha windscreen, but I am not that happy with it and may have to go with an even taller one, or one with a different curve. Enough of my helmet is in the turbulence to make a lot of annoying noise at speed. I got the heated grips, installed a Zumo mount and accesory outlets, so I'm planning on keeping it and riding it.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the comparison of the two bikes, which you prefer for what kind of ride, and why you have two sport touring bikes, if I'm not getting too personal.

Last edited by a moderator:
my last bike was a kawasaki mean streak i had the same issues with buffeting so i rode without a windshield most of the time.

i did finally buy a fly screen which did help a little and didn't cause buffetting.

I recently bought the FJR i also was looking at th c14 and did do a test ride on 1 it is a nice bike extreamly smooth engine.

I also test rode the FJR and 3 bmw's and a triumph sprint st. after rideing the triumph the c14 seemed huge, the fjr felt smaller

to me, the fairing isn't as wide. I really liked the sprint but i just couldn't get past the chain final.

I probably would have bought the bmw k1300s if they would have taken my bike in on trade but they didn't so i went and test rode the fjr again and bought it.

I have to admit that the first day i had it i was sorry i bought it but now i have about 1400mi on it and i love the way it rides

and i don't get the back and leg aces i got on my mean streak. I do however feel more heat than i ever did on the mean streak. ALL in ALL i like the fjr and the more i ride it the better i like it. NOw i just need too get a better seat and windscreen.

Oh and the vibration isn't that bad if you relax and don't grip tight or lean on the grips you will be ok.

I have two bikes - - a '04 VTX 1300C and an '06 FJR. I rode the VTX for two years and was looking for a bike that had more performance. A friend who owns a dealership steered me towards the FJ. I planned on keeping the VTX because it was affordable and I did not want to take a hit on selling it. Fortunately, I began enjoying the VTX a lot more once I bought the FJ. Each is completely different and I appreciate the differences. When I feel like kicking back and cruising I ride the VTX. I take the FJ out when I want to cover longer distances more quickly or am looking for more "fun" I ride the FJ. It is super comfortable and has power to spare. I also ride the VTX more in the summer since I ride it without a windscreen. It gets real hot in SoCal and not having a windscreen and riding with a half helmet makes a difference.