need a smaller windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcadianSlim

Reaction score
I've read several posts about those extolling the virtues of a taller windshield. My 05 has the extra large Cee Bailey and it's causing too much back pressure, making me lean hard on the grips, which hurts even on a short run. I could care less about wind noise since I ride alone and don't use helmet comm gear. The fact that I ride alone probably increases the back pressure I feel with the windshield. So I ran a little experiment...

I removed the shield and went for a quick ride on the highway. Amazing! Yes, my full-face helmet is fully exposed to the wind, but since it's not turbulent air, I only hear a light to moderate "whoosh" sound. It's actually pleasant compared to being hit by what a too-short windshield can toss up at you. I also love the wind pressure on my chest as it help push me back in my forward-tilted seat and keep the added weight off the grips.

So now I'm wondering, is there such a thing as an after-market windshield that's smaller than stock? Ideally, I would want one that reduces some of the pressure on my chest but doesn't cause turbulence at the helmet level.

If not, I"m prepared to cut my current windshield down to size. The question then is, what size (height and width)? Has anyone here done this before?

Appreciate the feedback if you have the same issue.

Oh, and Happy Canada Day to those north of the 49th!

Try to find a 03' stock windscreen for your Gen I. I had one on mine (smaller than the 05') and I really liked the increased airflow in the summer and it looked the best IMHO.

In addition to a shorter shield, you could also add spacers to the bottom of the shield reducing the angle. IIRC, on GEN I's the spacers are added to the bracket...it's been a while since my '04!

Easy mod and worth a try as you experiment with changes.

Good luck!

--G

Best mod for Gen1 windshield was the Rifle tuning block. Tilts the shield back, makes smoother air that hits mid chest with the stock shield. You can buy them from rifle without buying one of their windshields.

If I wasn't riding fast and wasn't riding far, I'd perpetrate the stock shield,which is good for cruising in the heat but not much else.

Cee bailey makes a 15 inch I think.
Interesting, I just did a quick search, and they make a 13" & 15" for '01 to '03, but '04 'n '05 are different, 'n a 17" is the smallest they make. (I think stock's 19"?) Thought all Gen Is are the same?

i would love air mid chest on the fjr, still on the search for it. still with the stock windshield.

v stream sport is more upright, equals less air,

from cal sci Our tinted shorty is comparable to the stock shield in size, but has quite noticeably cleaner air hmm.

Cee bailey makes a 15 inch I think.
Interesting, I just did a quick search, and they make a 13" & 15" for '01 to '03, but '04 'n '05 are different, 'n a 17" is the smallest they make. (I think stock's 19"?) Thought all Gen Is are the same?
All 1st Gens are all the same. The only difference was that the stock '01 - '03 shield was a couple inches shorter than the later 1st Gens.

Did 200 miles today. Stock 05 W/S It was down most of the day. It was about 90 degrees and putting the thing up just made the engine heat hit you full force. Puttin it down and crackin the visor made it much more comfortable.

Get a high speed cutting wheel. Cut two inches off. Go for a ride. Not enough? Cut off two more inches. Go for a ride. Not enough? Cut off two more inches. Not enough? Cut off one inch. Go for a ride. Enough? Sand off the edges. Remember to wear eye and breathing protection. Windshield dust causes cancer in kalifornia.