Need advice on possible FJR purchase

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doeweb

Reaction score
Hello all,

Someone is selling a 04 Silver FJR1300 w/ABS, 6000 miles on it for $8200.00. The bike was laid down with some slight scrapes, can people owning a FJR1300 tell me what a decent price is and also if you think it would be much work to get that buffed/repaired?

https://tinyurl.com/353x6n

Thanks in advance!

try researching traderonline or ebay for prices.

as for the scratches -- they give character! NR, from the pics -- looks like a body shop could fix that fairly inexpensively.

If the price is inline and to me for an 04 with 6k miles with ABS that's not too bad.

Those scratches are nothing. Looks like a simple parking lot drop to me. I'd say go for it you won't regret it.

Stator cover from University motors about 60 bucks, rear bag repaint by local body shop $115 (looks great), don't ask me how I know these prices. Unsure what upper scrape would cost to pepaint but a good body shop can handle repairs. Price seems ok for low millage bike, but start with 7K CASH. I have an 04 with 36k and like it more everytime I ride it, also an easy color to keep clean and way faster than any other colors!

That bike seems worth it to me. Purchase price plus paint related work will be the new purchase price. Just gotta ask yourself, is it worth it to you?

There are lots of other bikes FS with no damage and with farkles for about the same price. I know as mine is one of them.

Good luck with your findings as the FJR is an awesome machine!

:)

The upper left fairing is around 75 dollars new. It is however, a bit of a pain to get that peice off, not overly difficult, just time consuming.

If anything, you could probably have that painted too if a shop will do the bag. Colorite paint is not cheap. 80 bucks for a half pint, 14 for the reducer. The paint could probably be matched by a body shop, but if you want it to match perfectly, get the colorite paint. Overall costs to take care of those scratches, 300-500 bucks with labor, depends on if you take the front left fairing off or have someone take it off for you.

For it being an ABS model with very low miles price is not out of line. Your not stealing it. You are getting the best color of all and this is from someone who has owned both the 05 and 06 models. You will love the FJR.

Where are you located? That could influence the price a little bit. e.a. California

Berde

I am in Minnesota (Minneapolis Suburb), I just got the price down to 7200.00 in which I might go for it? Thoughts? I'm going to have to pay freight charges...Has anyone worked with Uship.com?

I am in Minnesota (Minneapolis Suburb), I just got the price down to 7200.00 in which I might go for it? Thoughts? I'm going to have to pay freight charges...Has anyone worked with Uship.com?
I just paid $2,000 for a Triumph Tiger in... well, it's in restorable shape.

$7200 is probably about right - can you verify any service records - makes a big diff if the prior owner kept up with oil changes, etc. Otherwise you could be buying somebody's nightmare.

Any way you go, unless a dealer stands behind the motorcycle, or you have first hand knowledge of how the machine was treated (like - know the owner personally) it's a crap shoot...

Freight charges - Are you having it shipped from somewhere to you? Have you seen it - or just pictures? Heard it run - test ride?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just paid $2,000 for a Triumph Tiger in... well, it's in restorable shape.

$7200 is probably about right - can you verify any service records - makes a big diff if the prior owner kept up with oil changes, etc. Otherwise you could be buying somebody's nightmare.

Any way you go, unless a dealer stands behind the motorcycle, or you have first hand knowledge of how the machine was treated (like - know the owner personally) it's a crap shoot...

Freight charges - Are you having it shipped from somewhere to you? Have you seen it - or just pictures? Heard it run - test ride?

I've only seen pictures, the gentleman has been very responsive to emails and my questions. It would be shipped from southern state to Minnesota. I currently own a Kawasaki Mean Streak that I bought over the internet and had a good experience. I think I'm going to go for the purchase. thanks!@

I've only seen pictures, the gentleman has been very responsive to emails and my questions. It would be shipped from southern state to Minnesota. I currently own a Kawasaki Mean Streak that I bought over the internet and had a good experience. I think I'm going to go for the purchase. thanks!@
You might find someone here close by willing to check it out for you. Look in the southeast portion of the board scroll through to find someone and pm them. or check the member map.

I understand you prob don't want to say will someone in ATL, GA check it out for fear of a lurker getting it before you do

I agree with the others, sounds like a fair price. As far as the scratches are concerned, if you end up

loving this bike and riding it as much as most of us do, the scratches will eventually happen. Like Rickster

says, it adds character. Go for it.