Need Advice--Taking Triple Tree Off '14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I found a Heli Bar triple tree on the forum to get a more upright riding position but having some trouble with getting it installed. I got the OEM triple tree mostly removed but I don't know how to get the ignition switch out of the middle of the removed TT to re-install it in the Heli. It's got some kind of safety or security bolt holding it on the bottom that you can't just unscrew. I don't know how to get it out. I did find a reference to drilling through the bottom of that security bolt to get it out of there but that frankly scares the hell out of me. Right now I just put it back together and the bike is as it started out this morning--and the new (used) Heli is waiting for somebody who knows how to get it on.

So who has the secret? Is it really as simple as drilling out the security bolt on the bottom of the OEM triple tree and replacing it with a new bolt and some kind of standard nut? I didn't take pictures to post here but I could if I have to. I'm also not sure if this used Heli TT is the current one I'd get if I ordered it from Heli. All ideas appreciated, but simple ones preferred.
crazy.gif
Thanks.

Oh, and looking through the emojis for the one above, I found this one. Happy Halloween!
vampire.gif

Sorry SacMike, you will have to drill the heads off the security bolts to swap the ignition switch. This can be done on the bike by flipping over the triple clamp or, lift the tank, unhook the connectors and drill on your set-up work bench.

Begin by center punching the security heads and use progressively larger drill bits. IIRC, the bolts are 8mm or approximately 5/16". Once the bolts are out, you can find replacements at your local hardware store.

Happy Halloween and have fun!!

--G

Mike,

This is the same thing I keep reading. Those two silver nubs I was pointing at need to be drilled off.

However, Heli is emailing me the install instructions now. PM me your email address and I will send those over. Then lets chat about how we want to tackle this thing and gidd-er-done!

11. Remove ignition switch from stock triple clamp.

a. Place the stock top triple clamp upside down on a shop rag. Carefully center punch the centers of the two tamper proof bolt heads. Carefully drill with a 1/8” drill bit followed by a ¼” bit, and finally use a 5/16” drill bit and carefully drill deep enough to remove the heads of the screws only. photos 11 & 12..

b. Insert the 2 m8 x 40mm screws into the ignition switch followed by the 2 aluminum spacers provided. See photo 13. Torque the 2 screws to 12 ft. lbs.

<<snip>>Sometimes this forum DOES come in handy for technical stuff, doesn't it?
wink.png
You're welcome SacMike! You've had all day...done yet??
tonguesmiley.gif

--G

Edit - Question Mike...Your profile shows ES. Did you pick up a clamp for an ES? My memory is $h!t and I hope I'm wrong, but I don't ever remember Heli making a replacement triple clamp for an ES. Standard bike, yup, I've used the same one on three FJRs so far, but not for the USD fork ES.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be scared Mike, the worst you can do is trash a few hundred bucks worth of parts. :) George is right as usual. Even a cave man can do it.
Alternative idea is to ride north to visit Ray as two heads in the same vicinity as the motorcycle are better than words on a web page! Not to dis my buds providing advice but as Ray said who wants to trash a few hundred buck worth of parts?

I have a Heli - Riser. Love it. It was installed by the dealer.

Oh hell. Thought I was ready to go on this (no, I'm not done yet. Thanks George) but now I'm worrying. And of course it's 3:30 here and the company is in Maine so I can't call and ask about a different clamp for an ES. I'll have to try tomorrow.

Right now these are on Gilla Funk's '13A, definitely not an ES. If they won't work on a '14 ES I'm back to square one. Calling Heli in Maine in the morning. Thanks for waving that warning flag.

<<snippage>> Right now these are on Gilla Funk's '13A, definitely not an ES. If they won't work on a '14 ES I'm back to square one. Calling Heli in Maine in the morning. Thanks for waving that warning flag.
You're back to square one Mike. If you want a triple clamp then cough up the $$$ for a MCL version. Alternatively, buy new or find a used Heli Bridge or MV Riser someone has removed. IIRC there was recently something in the classifieds...

Good luck and you're welcome. Glad I was able to save you some wrenching frustration!
coolsmiley02.gif

--G