Need Help Diagnosing A Tire Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIFJR

Reaction score
:D :D :D Looks like cupping right? :D :D :D

I had to start with all smilies so you know I'm joking.

This is the stock Bridgestone BT020 with 5000 miles on it! Properly inflated and ridden only moderately aggressively.

DSCF0100-vi.jpg

FWIW, the front is in great shape. :bigeyes:

Gotta shop for some Avons me thinks.

Had exactly the same prob w/ those Bridgestones on my 2005 FJR at 4500 miles - traded them for Metzlers and got 11K out of those - excellent tires - I'm on my second set

:D   :D   :D   Looks like cupping right?    :D   :D   :D  
I think its a throttle problem, too responsive. I had the same problem so I filled the tank with diesel... I have had no problem with any tire wear since! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
tntguy:

Which Metzlers did you switch to?

I've been a little leary about the ME-Z4 & 6 since reading about those failures of the steel belts. I'll take a few less miles for the extra peace of mind.

I am just starting reading up on the Avon AV45/AV46 combination. (this forum still lacks a great tire debate :rolleyes: )

That is a good site TWN, thanks.

Bye the way, what was the final word on Pilot Roads ?

I know this is as subjective as oil but any major problems with them ?

The Pilot Roads are a completly excellent tire for the FJR. In fact, I rate the Pilot Roads as the #2 best tire for the FJR.

Warchild's Top Four Tires for the FJR:

#1: Avon 45/46 combo - volumes have been wriiten about this tire... there is no finer rubber for the FJR. It is the #1 favorite among FJR pilots in the the LD community. I rate these as "Outstanding" in most every respect. The low-speed "walking" can alarm the new Avon owner until they realize it's just a consequence of the quite unusual tread pattern.

#2: Michelin Pilot Roads - not quite the treadlife nor wet grip as the Avons, but otherwise, they are right up there with them in most every other category. I rate these an overall "excellent-to-outstanding".

#3: Bridgestone BT-020: it's somewhat rare that a OEM tire is actually quite good on any particular bike, but aside from front tire cupping and a moderate treadlife, the factory BT-020s are actually pretty damn good. Not outstanding, maybe not even "excellent", but if I couldn't find a set of Avons or Pilot Roads, I sure wouldn't hesitate slapping the BT-020's on the bike.

#4) Dunlop D220: This tire suffers only one real fault, but it's a noteworthy fault: fairly abbreaviated rear tire treadlife. Pity, because otherwise these tire eqial the Avons in dry grip and lighting-fast transitions and phenominal steering. The wet grip is on par with the BT-020's... not great, but not too shabby, either. The other positive aspect about the D220 are that they are generally avaialbe everywhere, and are the least expensive tire of these Top 4 mentioned.

Have had the Avons on for 800 miles now. Cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would choose another replacement tire for da Feej. They are everything they have been made out to be. Where the original Stone rear was showing the traditional "flatting" wear within a few hundered miles due to the majority of my travels being high speed freeway riding, the Avons show nothing, not so much as a stripe yet. This bodes well for much longer tread life. The walking at low speed is present, but so minimal as to not even be noticeable after a few minutes of use. I ran the Stones, after noting the rapid wear pattern, at slightly higher than recommended factory specs in an attempt to maximize tread life-I cranked the Vons right to 42-42 as recommended and am enjoying the benefits of the greater pressure. The handling is stellar, and predictable as noted many times in these forums. One can be unique, and run something else, and pay the price for not believing in joining the club, or get the Avons, with all the joy that being one of the sheep can sometimes bring. All I can say is "Baaaaaa"... :D

I'm probably halfway through the BT020 set, and I've heard good things about the avons....

but could somebody please explain the 'walking'? what does that mean?

-colin

I just turned 5,000 miles on the Avons. The rear is almost at the wear bar. Maybe another 1,000. Most of the miles were put on in the twisties with this set v. highway miles on the Metz's. I was hoping on more based upon everyone elses comments. Got 8,500 out of the OEM Metz's. Front Avon is in great shape though.

@ colin, re: walking.

Walking is a term used to describe the effects of the tread design on the front Avon. The tread is designed to provide a better surface for the rear tire in wet conditions (i.e., to "push" water away from the contact patch.). On some road surfaces the front tire will "walk" in little side-to-side motions. I think I only noticed it 2 or 3 times on mine, but others, depending on the road-surface texture, the surface itself (asphalt, cement, etc) and other factors have a more pronounced effect.

Even so, it seems to happen between the 15-25 mph range and then its gone. If a rider is aware that it may happen, then one isn't over-awed by the experience. Its not like a tank-slapper. Just small events you can feel in the handlebars.

I remember thinking, "Oh! So that's walking." And then I was through it.

Just a heads up... I went to purchase a set of the Avons from fjrgoodies.com and found out that the rear AV/46 is on backorder with no known delivery date. :(

Guru Glen called for me and avon is "estimating" that they may be available by the middle of July, but he wasn't positive... so rather than wait for something to magically appear, I went ahead and ordered a set of the Pilot Roads.

Should be here and on the bike some time next week. I'll check back in once I scrub them off a bit and can really ride.

I got 6K out of the rear OEM Mez4 and wasn't quite into the wear bar. Put on the Avon's as a set & now have 7K on them & would estimate I have at least another 4-5K left. I didn't notice the "walking" so much but the initial turn in to a curve felt very different to me-not bad just different. I liked the feel of the Mez4's & it took a while to get used to the Avon's for me in terms of feel. After about a thousand miles on them I had gotten used to them & liked them. I will probably get the Avon's again. Also they have an initial road hazard warranty. I corner faster than many/most riders I ride with but I am not a peg scraper either. Hope this helps.

The Pilot Roads are a completly excellent tire for the FJR. In fact, I rate the Pilot Roads as the #2 best tire for the FJR.

Warchild's Top Four Tires for the FJR:

#1: Avon 45/46 combo -

#2: Michelin Pilot Roads -

#3: Bridgestone BT-020:

#4) Dunlop D220:
@WC,

What's your take on the new Pirelli Diablo Stradas? Did they not make your top 4, or weren't they considered?

TIA,

RickL

What's your take on the new Pirelli Diablo Stradas?  Did they not make your top 4, or weren't they considered?
TIA,

RickL
The Perelli's are not a huge seller for the FJR. I have yet to try this tire, truth be told, and I do want to give them a shot. I've heard mixed comments, but the only real test is the one you make using your bike, riding in your environment.

Still, I'm keen to try the Perelli's, if for no other reason than to have that data point as well. Unfortunately, I still have several thousand left on my current Avons, and have a fresh set of Avons in the garage when the current ones are toast, so.... it'll be a while before I can test new rubber....

My 020's are showing some wear but I'm at 5k miles and they look like they're not even half-way through. I'm going to try a set of Z6's next. I liked the front I put on my Bandit right before I sold it and want to try a pair on the FeeJeR.

I have about 4K on the bt020's, and the wear is significant. I'm a little disappointed. Just before I got the FJR I put a new rear z6 on my VX800 and liked the look and feel, but have not put that many miles on it (always seem to ride the FJR now - surprise). I did read some about the z4 failures, but have not heard of any issues with the z6's. Does anyone know if they are having the same problems?

What's your take on the new Pirelli Diablo Stradas?  Did they not make your top 4, or weren't they considered?
TIA,

RickL
There Perelli's are not a huge seller for the FJR. I have yet to try this tire, truth be told, and I do want to give them a shot. I've heard mixed comments, but the only real test is the one you make using your bike, riding in your environment.

Still, I'm keen to try the Perelli's, if for no other reason than to have that data point as well. Unfortunately, I still have several thousand left on my current Avons, and have a fresh set of Avons in the garage when the current ones are toast, so.... it'll be a while before I can test new rubber....
@WC,

Thanks - I'll keep that in mind for my next set of tires (likely this winter) for the FJR - unless I hear something glowing from a credible source who's tried both, will go with the Avons.

RickL

I was gonna take a shot at the Pirellis-the Pirelli tech details sound very interesting. BUT, the Avons are so proven to be an excellent tire for the Feej, that I didn't feel like spending $250 for product testing.