need help quick with plug gap

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vic ray

Reaction score
hey guys,

I am in the middle of a plug swap and need to know what the suggested gap for the ngk iridium plug is. I have the manual but I just was thinking the gap for the regular plugs might be different. I am doing this now so a quick response would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall something about not screwing around with the gap on the iridiums, as it is a small fragile point. I installed them out of the box, for better or worse, based on this internet enhanced knowledge. :blink:

FWIW, I checked my old iridiums that I had pulled with 20K-miles of service. The gap on the used plugs was .030 across the board--within the range recommended by the stock plug (.028 to .031).

DO NOT RE GAP THE IRIDIUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I already started a thread long ago when I did the same thing. The gap is already pre-measured at the factory. Any attempt to adjust or check will damage that stupid electroid. Believe me, I did the same thing, ran terrible, and found out a little pressure will crack the stem. NKG told me they couldn't replace or exchanged my plugs because I didn't read the warning sheet. There is supposed to be a warning insert about damaging the plugs to check the gap. Yeah..I found it after the damage was done. From the packaging, just install the plugs as is.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Yup. Leave 'em alone. Unless the package was dropped and the ground closed up, which would be obvious, they are pre-gapped and ready to go.

.028 - .031 is the tollerance. I checked the gap on mine last weekend and they were all within that range. One was a little tighter than the others but only by a thousanth or two.

But that brings up a question. What about using a gapping tool that only moves the bendy bit and not the pointy bit?

{[google search] ground electrode and center electrode}

So a tool that adjusts the ground electrode at its base without getting near the center electrode?

.028 - .031 is the tollerance. I checked the gap on mine last weekend and they were all within that range. One was a little tighter than the others but only by a thousanth or two.
But that brings up a question. What about using a gapping tool that only moves the bendy bit and not the pointy bit?

{[google search] ground electrode and center electrode}

So a tool that adjusts the ground electrode at its base without getting near the center electrode?
One of those would work, but don't be "Ham-Handed" checking it, I have seen some who would bend the electrode trying to force the gauge in.