Need help with an electrical gremlin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ynotride

Reaction score
Here’s the deal. About 3 weeks ago I installed a new zumo550 and hard wired it thru my FZ1 fuzeblock. Everything has been working fine until this morning when I notice the GPS isn't charging.

I start by checking the plug on the motorcycle mount itself, I pull it off and refasten it with the two little screws and that doesn’t work. Then I go to the FZ1 and sure enough the 2 amp fuse is blown. No biggie I have spares so I pull out the burnt fuse and as I put in the new one I get a spark and it pops. Thinking I maybe did something wrong I unscrew the positive wire first and put in a new 3 amp fuse. The second I try to re-insert the positive wire back in I get the spark and it pops the fuse.

I have my radar detector wired up to the FZ1 and it is working so I know its not the fuzeblock.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? I checked the hardwire and I did not find any chaffing or melting. I’m at a loss here on what to do next.

Thanks in advance

If it's instantly blowing a fuse, the positive after the fuse is shorting to ground. It could be in the device, but I'd put money on a damaged wire.

Follow the wire to or from the FZ1 to the gps. It's either pinched and the insulation is cut through or it has rubbed off and touching metal.

If it's instantly blowing a fuse, the positive after the fuse is shorting to ground. It could be in the device, but I'd put money on a damaged wire.
Disconnect it from the device and replace the fuse. If it instantly blows (which is what Travis and Roy suppose) you'll know it's in the wiring someplace.

It could be that the wires are pinched and the positive is grounding to the negative. Good luck!

Dan - Instant blown fuses mean something is really wrong, with a quick short to ground. I wouldn't go up in fuses as they blow, ya might damage the device. The GPS should really be only about a 1amp fuse.

Try the GPS in the car with the stocker cigarette lighter power, if it's OK, try re-running the bike posi wire if need be. If the thing blows in the car cig lighter, your device has the issue. Could the FZ1 have the issue???

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Follow the wire to or from the FZ1 to the gps. It's either pinched and the insulation is cut through or it has rubbed off and touching metal.
Ding Ding Ding We have a winner

It seems the dumbass that ran the wire decided to tighten down the T bracket under the tank with the wire wedged under between the bracket and bolt. I started to pull out the wire and easily found the obvious culprit. I had a bet with my wife that you guys would figure out before I could and I was right. Now off to fix it right this time.

Thanks everyone for the help

OOOPS

extra035.jpg

What a dumb s*t!!!

I've never done that :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And I was so proud of myself last week because I had the bike torn down for my 24,000 maintenance and did the coolant change, lubed the pivot points, oil/final drive fluids without messing anything up. I didn’t even break one plastic fastener. Then something like this happens to bring my garage skills confidence back down to reality. :angry:

This is the first bike I have ever worked on myself and I wouldn’t know how to do any of it without this form and its wealth of information. The only thing I still have the dealer do is change my tires and a No-Mar changer is on my list of must have so eventually I won’t need them at all. :yahoo:

I was gonna say look under the T bar :blink:

While your under there you could give it some chafe protection

Ding Ding Ding We have a winner

It seems the dumbass that ran the wire decided to tighten down the T bracket under the tank with the wire wedged under between the bracket and bolt. I started to pull out the wire and easily found the obvious culprit. I had a bet with my wife that you guys would figure out before I could and I was right. Now off to fix it right this time.

Thanks everyone for the help

OOOPS

extra035.jpg

Dan - Glad you found the issue. Now the real question is, how did you do that??? :p

Hope to see you and the the Kawi woman for the Duc run. ;)

Dude, you need to kick that dumbshit's ass HARD!
ynotride: Dan, you may want to consider recommending to RadioHowie that he take a flying fuck at a rolling donut hole; or that he consider jacking off his manatee!
Hey, Old Fart.....shouldn't you be packing for the weekend?
Good Morning Old Fart Numero Dos! Seth and I are all packed for Orlando, Florida and Walt Disney World. Sent you a PM and hope to see you this upcoming week!!!

Dan - Glad you found the issue. Now the real question is, how did you do that??? :p
Hope to see you and the the Kawi woman for the Duc run. ;)
Well Bluesy, you sure know how to hurt the feelings of SkooterG, Big-D and Papa Chuy! You're all happy and excited about seeing Dan and Andrea, but not one word about your Joy in getting to see your Arizona friends? I do admit Andrea is an incredibly beautiful woman, but then again, Skooty is indeed a very handsome man!!!

Dan - Glad you found the issue. Now the real question is, how did you do that??? :p Hope to see you and the the Kawi woman for the Duc run. ;)
Well Bluesy, you sure know how to hurt the feelings of SkooterG, Big-D and Papa Chuy! You're all happy and excited about seeing Dan and Andrea, but not one word about your Joy in getting to see your Arizona friends? I do admit Andrea is an incredibly beautiful woman, but then again, Skooty is indeed a very handsome man!!!
I don't really want to debate you about how handsome SkooterG is.... quite frankly, you're making me sick.... :puke:
:p ;)

I look forward to meeting you and seeing SkooterG again. :D

I cant wait to get older like you two so I can join in on the bickering :rolleyes:

See you both on the Ducati/Monterey ride :bike:

I'm off to Baja in a few hours to watch the San Felipe 250. WooHoo

I cant wait to get older like you two so I can join in on the bickering :rolleyes:
See you both on the Ducati/Monterey ride :bike:

I'm off to Baja in a few hours to watch the San Felipe 250. WooHoo
Dan, have a blast in Mexico; I always do! The San Felipe 250 is a Fiesta mas Grande! Going to San Carlos on April 9 with friends, RenoJohn may join us on that ride!