need help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vermonta

Reaction score
I recieved my rear shock from gp suspension today and have been looking and searching for a post on how to do the job. I thought I found it on here before but didn't save it and now can't find it. I bought a Penske 8983 shock. I did find how to install an Ohlins which is similar but I'm sure I saw one for a penske. Any help would be a great help before I start into the project. :unsure:

I recieved my rear shock from gp suspension today and have been looking and searching for a post on how to do the job. I thought I found it on here before but didn't save it and now can't find it. I bought a Penske 8983 shock. I did find how to install an Ohlins which is similar but I'm sure I saw one for a penske. Any help would be a great help before I start into the project. :unsure:
Some help here: Suspension Info

No pictures though.

I used the great pictures on fjrtech.com for installing a Wilbers shock, and then this small difference from a 2008 thread on this forum

"9. If you're using the fancy GP Suspension bracket, it bolts up by replacing the top two bolts on the rightside exhaust/passenger-peg hangar. The bracket goes on the back side of this hangar. Remove the two existing bolts, replace with the two new bolts (long one goes on the front hole - that's the one that gets the spacer), torque them tight, then put the spacer on the front bolt. The spacer takes care of an offset between the two bolts so the bracket doesn't sit cock-eyed. Put the bracket on and tighten the two nuts."

google "install penske shock FJR"

A dramatic upgrade and not a hard task - Good luck!