Needle Bearings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamaha1300rider

Reaction score
When I installed my Wilber shock, I greased the bearing in the swing arm mount.

However, I subsequently realised the bearing was of the needle type and not the caged ball bearing type.

My immediate thought was "Wasn't I lucky not to dislodge the needles when re-greasing.

Can someone explain:

1. whether my fears were justified or whether the needles don't move,

2. How best to clean needle bearings in a confined space when they can't easily be removed

3. What to do if a needle falls out or becomes displaced

4. anything else we should be aware of

Cheers

Paul

01 fjr

uk

It's actually called a "Torrington" bearing. And they like grease, though oil is usually their lube of choice. If you look at a HD Sportster without the right side case on, you'll see it has 4 cams and a couple drive gears all lined up in there. Torringtons abound along that bank of shafts. Torringtons can be a bear to clean, as the cage is pretty tightly formed, generally I soak them in carb cleaner, or, if rubber or plastic seals are present, brake cleaner, overnight. Blow dry as much as possible with shop air, and press grease just like you would a roller wheel bearing. Oftentimes, it's easier (and sometimes even cheaper) to just replace if any corrosion is present, or the oe grease has dried up and there is any looseness in the bearing. If you do lose a roller, the bearing was already trashed.

11410.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I curious.....did any of the '03 owners notice that their setup was bronze bushings instead of Torrington roller bearings? Additionally, the nut on the shaft was smaller than the Warchild instructions indicated? The bolt was the correct diameter to work with the shock. It all went together OK and is a super setup, but was a bit different!!

Jim

Fantastic radman

Didn't know any of that

Still don't get a feel for how gentle we have to be with the Torington bearing?

Thanks again

Paul

01 fjr

uk

About as gentle as you want your proctologist to be with the KY and the glove.

Just relax and apply liberally!

The excess will be excreted when the bolt is inserted.

Too visual for you??!! :bigeyes:

(Funny how Dale used RED grease for the job, eh?)