New Best Friend - Njst

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctfjr

Reaction score
So I had to scoot down to Harrisburg PA on Tuesday for a Wednesday meeting - its about 240 miles, 4 hours of superslab. The weather had been pretty cool around here in the evening so I didn't think my Joe Rocket mesh jacket was the right choice (still waiting for my Cycleport replacement from the accident0. So I took my old FirstGear with a packed liner. Of course when i leave my meeting on Wednesday afternoon its 93 degrees out and the FirstGear just doesn't make it :(

So I pull over & bungie to the passenger seat. Now I'm cruising about 75+ in a 65 zone on rt 78 in Jersey when I look in the mirror. Oh Crap! Its a large suv with a low profile light bar :(

I put on my turn signal, roll off the throttle & move to the middle lane. He pulls not quite along side me. I can only see the front of the car. After 10 seconds of waiting I finally turn to look at him, yep its a NJ State Trooper. He pulls along side and says something to me on his PA speaker. Unfortunately I have earplugs in & can only make out a garble. At first I thought he was pulling me over. then I realize he is telling me the jacket is coming undone and is about to depart the bike.

He takes off, I pull over. Who says there are no happy endings?

You're lucky, he may have saved your hide. Years back a friend of mine was killed when his jacket that was attached to the passenger seat came loose, allowing the leather arm to work its way into the chain and rear wheel, causing the bike to go into a high speed skid slamming him into a guard rail. That NJ State Trooper was not only your friend, he could have been your savior!!!