New Filter Design

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmak

Reaction score
A picture of a filter I built to retain the shape and strength of the K&N filter so you don't end up like Useless Pickles (no offense, Pickles).

filters003.jpg

It's fashioned from sheet metal tin, 1/2"x3/4"x1/2". I included a picture of a frame sans filter so you could see the construction. The stock frame is positioned over it and secures it to the outside of the airbox. Should be plenty strong enough.

A picture of a filter I built to retain the shape and strength of the K&N filter so you don't end up like Useless Pickles (no offense, Pickles).
It's fashioned from sheet metal tin, 1/2"x3/4"x1/2". I included a picture of a frame sans filter so you could see the construction. The stock frame is positioned over it and secures it to the outside of the airbox. Should be plenty strong enough.
Karmak,

Very nicely done!! When I began this project I attempted a similar type of setup but got frustrated when I

couldn't get them to seal very well on the ends of the air box. I didn't want a air box that would let in un-filtered air..

Looks like you got it figured out very well!! Kudos to you!!!

I am sure you know.. BUT no matter how good of a setup you put out there.. When somebody tries it and bumble

f*cks it all up... You gonna hear all about it :dribble: :blink: :p .. Don't let it discourage you.

You are gonna love the extra power... Ask Gramps, BigR , Joe2Lmaker, Radman, ScoobyVroom, Gilfhunter, motor1884 or anybody that

got to see my setup in action.

Nice work and nice to see you sharing good info like this.

WW

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Karmak,

Very nicely done!! When I began this project I attempted a similar type of setup but got frustrated when I

couldn't get them to seal very well on the ends of the air box. I didn't want a air box that would let in un-filtered air..

Looks like you got it figured out very well!! Kudos to you!!!

I am sure you know.. BUT no matter how good of a setup you put out there.. When somebody tries it and bumble

f*cks it all up... You gonna hear all about it :dribble: :blink: :p .. Don't let it discourage you.

You are gonna love the extra power... Ask Gramps, BigR , Joe2Lmaker, Radman, ScoobyVroom, Gilfhunter, motor1884 or anybody that

got to see my setup in action.

Nice work and nice to see you sharing good info like this.

WW

:D
Thanks- I plan to run either a rubber or foam gasket between the edge of the airbox and filter frame-that should seal it adequately. I can think of another design in which the filter sits inside the frame rather than between it and the edge of the airbox, we'll see.

You should see the extra power I get (+40) from the NOS "fogger" I have that shoots into the airbox. Your method allows me to get the stock filter out of the middle of the airbox, where it could break up the nitrous charge.

I experienced the same types of "nay sayery" when I first installed NOS on my previous FJR ('05)-"It'll blow the engine, extinguish life on our planet as we know it" etc. The airbox mod is basic fiddling provided care is taken to avoid getting material or unfiltered air into the engine. However, way safer/better than when we ran velocity stacks and such on S&S carbs (etc.) on our old Harleys with only a screen on the stack, if that!