New Garmin Zumo... 590LM

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone had charging problems? Unless my 590 battery is fairly well charged it does not stay on while connected to the craddle mount while riding, If it is charged my bikes charging system takes over and it works fine, Thanks
Not sure if it could be related but check out review #2 here.

I had a similar charging problem once and found I had not clicked it firmly into the mount. Gave me a real scare to think that a good bounce could have sent the GPS bouncing down the road. I now double-check that the GPS is firmly locked in the mount.

I had a chance to try this out in the car this past 4th of July weekend, and the Smartlink app picked up traffic delays on I-79 at US422 as a long delay, and warned of several current road closures. So traffic issues are being reported in rural and remote areas.

Getting ready to buy a Micro SD card for music storage. Does anyone who what the LARGEST card you can actively use?

Getting ready to buy a Micro SD card for music storage. Does anyone who what the LARGEST card you can actively use?
I've had no problem with a 16GB. The 590 manual say that the card must be FAT32 format, which has a nominal limit of 32 GB.

I've had no problem with a 16GB. The 590 manual say that the card must be FAT32 format, which has a nominal limit of 32 GB.
GPS City reports that the 590 can handle and index a 32 and 64 GB SD cards. That should take care of a trip.

Regarding the MicroSD cards: I bought a SanDisk 64 GB card that initially didn't work. However thanks to the magic of Google I found this link: https://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm It will format a 64 GB SD card to FAT32 and the card now works in my unit.

However...... I was on the phone with Garmin Support today about other issues and brought up the card issue. I was told they highly recommend not going higher than 8 GB. Primarily because on start-up the unit will search the entire SD card which will significantly increase the boot-up time. I didn't notice and haven't played with it yet. Just thought I would pass that on.

FAT32 is the required format for any Garmin SD card. A larger card could take longer to index and startup, but the 590 is amazing fast, so I doubt you will notice anything unless you really have a lot of music installed. Let us know if you reach that threshold.

The octopus cord has these connectors:
1. USB Female Type "A": The equivalent to what you have in your PC. Could be used to power anything (not sure of max amps, though) and is a two-way integration port to iPods and iPhones (maybe others, but I don't think so.

2. Mic "in" - 2.5 mm?

3. Audio "in" - 2.5 mm

4. Audio "out" - 2.5 mm - tested this with plain old earbuds, works fine.

5. Power leads: 8-28V and ground.
I have a Zumo 550 and a Starcom1 system. The cord from the Starcom1 to the Zumo cradle has two connectors, one for Mic "in" and the other (presumably) for Audio "out". They are different sizes though, the Mic "in" connector being smaller than the Audio "out" (I'm guessing 2.5mm vs. 3.5mm). Could you double-check those and see if they are indeed both 2.5 or if one is 3.5?

The octopus cord has these connectors:
1. USB Female Type "A": The equivalent to what you have in your PC. Could be used to power anything (not sure of max amps, though) and is a two-way integration port to iPods and iPhones (maybe others, but I don't think so.

2. Mic "in" - 2.5 mm?

3. Audio "in" - 2.5 mm

4. Audio "out" - 2.5 mm - tested this with plain old earbuds, works fine.

5. Power leads: 8-28V and ground.
I have a Zumo 550 and a Starcom1 system. The cord from the Starcom1 to the Zumo cradle has two connectors, one for Mic "in" and the other (presumably) for Audio "out". They are different sizes though, the Mic "in" connector being smaller than the Audio "out" (I'm guessing 2.5mm vs. 3.5mm). Could you double-check those and see if they are indeed both 2.5 or if one is 3.5?
I stand corrected. The mic input is smaller.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mic in is 2.5, all others are 3.5mm.
I stand corrected. The mic input is smaller.
Excellent. Thank you both. That means my existing setup should work just fine with the 590. The idiots at Garmin customer service told me there were no plugs at all, Bluetooth only. You'd think they'd train their people to know their own products.

Last edited by a moderator: