New Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwistedGrip

Reaction score
Looking for input on what everyone thinks of the replacing your helmet every five years as suggested by manufacturers. I'm currently riding with a Shoei RF-1000 from 2007. The helmet has never been dropped, and cosmetically looks new. The cheek pads are a little worn but other than that the helmet is in good shape.

Am I wasting my time with all of the online helmet reviews or have things changed enough in helmet safety and features that I should continue e-shopping.

Thanks

I don’t generally hold fast to the manufacturers recommendation for replacement.  They obviously have a conflict of interests in that regard.  And not all users put the same amount of use into it.  But a 13 year old helmet is well past it’s designed longevity.  

Of course some people don’t think you even need a helmet at all, so whether you actually replace it depends on how much you believe that the thing actually does anything.  I usually replace mine because I’m sick of the smell that won’t wash out.  YMMV

I'll go with Fred W on this.  Five may be too short.  But ten is definitely too long.

I'll recommend using lidpicker.com if you're willing to limit yourself to brands motorcyclegear.com carries.

I'm looking at the GT-Air, or possibly going modular. I owned a Shoei Multi-Tec years ago when they were introduced, but found it very loud. Loads of wind noise ( I was riding an '03 VFR at the time). That experience has kept me from going back. I'm sure they've come a long way since then. I'll take your impressions on modulars too.

My current MultiTec [purchased on close-out & stashed] is getting long in the tooth. So...I'm in the same boat. I always wear ear protection so the extra noise isn't a bother.

I like the convenience of modulars and wear glasses, so I'll be sticking with that style. Neotec II fits like a glove but I don't care for the integrated Sena. Slick, but now I've got all the old Sena's laying around. The AGV Sportmodular has peaked my interest and fits well but I see they're on close out now too. Decisions, decisions!

~G

From everything I have heard it isn't the sun that degrades the helmet, it is the air. So sitting in a closet is not going to help it last any longer. The air causes the styrofoam liner (which is supposed to be the energy absorber in a crash) to harden and no longer work. The outer shell degrades from UV at a slower rate but it is supposed to prevent penetrating injuries. You are much more likely to notice the shell turning to powder but the liner, and actual protection, would be long gone.

When I could no longer find replacement cushions for our '06 Shoei x-11's two years ago I sent a note to Shoei asking for some cushions. They told me in no uncertain terms that they didn't stock parts for helmets that old and my helmets were 6 years past their reliability why hadn't I replaced them every 5 years.  I asked for test results that demonstrated a significant difference in break/crash/drop test results of older "worn" helmets, and I never got a reply. It may be true, but I've not seen any test results to show that a 10 year old used but otherwise undamaged helmet fails (or passes) the DOT or SNELL or ECE etc., tests.

If there is no deformation or damage, if the 8 year old helmet still fits as snug with new cushions as it did when new, is there a need to replace it? And saying "Do you want to bet your brain matter on it?" isn't the answer.  Sometimes I'm an annoying skeptic...  Why is 5 years the magic answer? Why not 6? or 4.5? or 7? Ask anyone, the standard answer always seems to be 5 years. I've even read articles that state you should watch how long your new helmet sat on the shelf before you bought it.  Does that mean the 2 year old NOS helmet you just bought on-line has only 3 years to go? 

Given worney's info about foam possibly hardening or disintegrating over time, I would agree that would be something significant, but over what time frame? And how do you measure it? Are there any test results?

I like Shoei, they fit our heads, and wear them all day with no hot spots. Two years ago I found 2 Shoei QWEST on a Black Friday-type sale for $225USD.

Its interesting Marty A that you couldn't get parts for your 2 helmets. I recently returned from a 2 month work-trip to Japan, and figured that I'd be able to get cheek pads for the RF-1000 there. I learned that Shoei never sold the RF-1000 in Japan, it was produced for other markets, not Japan.

I've often wondered about that 5 year replacement policy myself. I'm curious if the policy might not be driven by racing organizations? I know NHRA requires replacement of most safety equipment on a regular basis. Seat belts and harnesses, helmets, etc. Could the helmet manufacturers just be taking their clues from the racing rule books?

I think that 5 year thing is pretty arbitrary. I ride damn near year round and in just about any weather so long as I feel it's safe to ride. With that in mind at the 5 year mark my helmet is pretty much toast. I try to remove the liner and pads and wash them and air dry them at least once per season but I can tell cheek pads and such have compressed and no longer fit like when it was new. For me 5 years is about what I can expect before I'm just ready for something new. For others that don't ride as much I can see a helmet lasting longer. YMMV

Guessing the 5 years came from the lawyers.

Any case, I just replaced my Qwest.  I ride almost every day.  The liner began to deteriorate and bits were coming off.  That was my signal to replace it.  I just upgraded to a GT-Air II.

Schuberth and Shoei recommend renewing your crash helmet every five to seven years. It's nothing to do with how much you have used it. It is due to degradation of the internals due to time.

Replacing my helmet is something I started thinking about last year.  I concluded I wanted a new helmet and I didn't need a new helmet so I didn't get one.  After reading this it has me re-thinking if I need one now that the ninth season for it is approaching.

Man this place has cost me a lot of money over the years!!  Since TwistedGrip started this thread I'll send him the bill......by the way I like Arai helmets. 😁

The five-to-ten year helmet "lifespan" is based on the plastic-foam liner losing its' protective qualities at estimated but unknown rates over time.  Aside from all of that, there are some good to excellent advances in the basic designs of helmets now, which seem to make it upgrade time for many old skid lids. 

This depends on what you think your brain is worth, and if you have ever met somebody with a past but serious Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).  I think I'm gonna buy a better helmet, now . . .

Just a few of the new ideas out there now, in no particular order:

MIPS (Bell has some)
6D
Koroyd
Fluid pads
KALI Fusion
and there are others, if you care to dig around the Internet.

I have no real interest in HUD, Bluetooth, or cameras in a helmet, but YMMV.

I ride too much for a helmet to get to five years. As long as it’s taken care of and not stored in extreme temps, I don’t worry about the 5 year thing. I look for damage or crazing of the outer shell, and breakdown of the inner shell(s) and padding.