New Owner - Wild first ride!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrazyBird

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
On the way home from the dealership where I bought a used 2015, the front end randomly started fighting my inputs and wobbling. I look down and the front is flat! A brand new Road 6, flat on the way home from buying it. RIP. So I pull over, get it on the center stand and start checking for punctures or something stuck in it to find the leak. Check the picture to see what I found.

Attachments

• IMG_6864.jpeg
    IMG_6864.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
On the way home from the dealership where I bought a used 2015, the front end randomly started fighting my inputs and wobbling. I look down and the front is flat! A brand new Road 6, flat on the way home from buying it. RIP. So I pull over, get it on the center stand and start checking for punctures or something stuck in it to find the leak. Check the picture to see what I found.
So needless to say this was not the best new bike day I’ve ever had, but I made it home in one piece so I can’t complain!

Attachments

• IMG_6866.jpeg
    9.6 MB · Views: 0
I don't think its possible for the valve stem to blow out unless it was defective or wrong size. It is possible that the rubber was rotted enough to crack and leak but even then it would be unusual for it to disappear completely. I'd look for the remains of the valve stem inside the rim but I'd be suspicious of whoever installed that tire as they should have at least inspected the stem too.
Glad you were able to keep control and stop before something worse happened. The tire should be OK if it didn't break the bead and run on the rim. If so the damage should be visible.

I don't think its possible for the valve stem to blow out unless it was defective or wrong size. It is possible that the rubber was rotted enough to crack and leak but even then it would be unusual for it to disappear completely. I'd look for the remains of the valve stem inside the rim but I'd be suspicious of whoever installed that tire as they should have at least inspected the stem too.

Glad you were able to keep control and stop before something worse happened. The tire should be OK if it didn't break the bead and run on the rim. If so the damage should be visible.
You grease them up and pull them a little too far and they will definitely blow out. Although it should have happened when they aired up the tire. (Rubber ones)

If it was a steel/aluminum valvestem that has the nut on the inside then maybe did not tighten it up and it fell off.

You grease them up and pull them a little too far and they will definitely blow out. Although it should have happened when they aired up the tire. (Rubber ones)

If it was a steel/aluminum valvestem that has the nut on the inside then maybe did not tighten it up and it fell off.
Possibly but it would take some effort to pull it too far through the rim hole. If installed properly then a rubber one shouldn't pull out or blow out. A metal one with the inside nut wouldn't seal in the first place if the nut was loose since the o-ring is on the outside.

I'd be interested to see if anything is left inside the rim.

well done you for being able to tell the tale 😀👍

I thought about that last night, it’s probably in the rim but I found no damage to the actual tire that would’ve caused such a rapid deflation and allowed the valve stem to drop.

Rubber valve stems, not sure what could’ve happened. Although just prior to the wobble and fighting I did have the cruise set *ahem* above the speed limit coming down the interstate to head home…Maybe the increased speed increased the heat which increased the tire PSI too high and blew it out?

I thought about that last night, it’s probably in the rim but I found no damage to the actual tire that would’ve caused such a rapid deflation and allowed the valve stem to drop.
The inside of the tire should be carefully inspected when they replace the valve stem. Sidewall damage is possible, even if the bead remained on the rim. Check for bulges and smooth running once the tire is re-inflated.

Maybe the increased speed increased the heat which increased the tire PSI too high and blew it out?
No way, unless the tire was seriously overinflated to begin with.

Possibly but it would take some effort to pull it too far through the rim hole. If installed properly then a rubber one shouldn't pull out or blow out. A metal one with the inside nut wouldn't seal in the first place if the nut was loose since the o-ring is on the outside.

I'd be interested to see if anything is left inside the rim.
Couple things -
Doesn't take much effort to pull a rubber valve stem all the way through the wheel - done it a few times. Really easy if you have put any sort of lube on it.
Decent metal valve stems have rubber on the inside and sometimes out, so it wouldn't be tough to get it to seal if nut was loose. Inside is the better place for wedge type seals.

The inside of the tire should be carefully inspected when they replace the valve stem. Sidewall damage is possible, even if the bead remained on the rim. Check for bulges and smooth running once the tire is re-inflated.

No way, unless the tire was seriously overinflated to begin with.
Owner said he’d have it done as soon as they get in this morning so I’ll make sure to carefully inspect before I get out on the road again.