New Owner - Wild first ride!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol thanks, I puckered for sure but I knew if I panicked it was going to go much worse
If you purchased via a dealer i'd 'demand' in the nicest possible way that you would like a new tire and valve etc foc and deem them lucky you weren't killed.đź‘Ť
lol thanks, I puckered for sure but I knew if I panicked it was going to go much worse

This is an opportunity to tell them to install a right angled bolt in valve. Makes one handed pressure checking and adjustment much easier. You need the metal version with rubber washers.
And if I could, I would want to see the inside of the tire to look for damage. Depends a bit on how fast you were going and how long on the flat.

This is an opportunity to tell them to install a right angled bolt in valve. Makes one handed pressure checking and adjustment much easier. You need the metal version with rubber washers.
And if I could, I would want to see the inside of the tire to look for damage. Depends a bit on how fast you were going and how long on the flat.
possibly ruined the wheel ?

Thanks for the kind words and advice everyone. I got home with the bike just a bit ago and all was well. Owner said he’d never seen anything like it, the tow driver hadn’t heard of it either, and neither of the techs had seen it of course. He said there was no remnant of the valve inside the wheel, there was no puncture either. When they pulled it off everything was ok as far as the tire went, wheel balanced as normal so getting it stopped and off the road kept everything ok.

As for the dealer portion, it’s a consignment dealer that’s known locally for their shop as they sponsor racers, dial in suspension, modify etc. The owner paid the shop time to get the tire re-fitted with the new valve stem, and previous owner stopped in to bring the side case inner bags heard what happened and paid the shop back for my tow charges. Being that their shop did not touch the front tire, and only replaced the rear when they serviced it before selling, I didn’t make a fuss about the fact that I may have had to pay for the tow. I took the free valve stem replacement and tire remount, along with the free tow from the previous owner, and went on my way.

All things considered, I got a good deal on the bike, and despite the underwear I had to toss I have a great bike that will suit me much better than my Z900 for a 2 hour interstate commute 2x a week!

I'm curious if the bead came off the rim or if it held on?
Time for TPSM's
I’m pretty sure it held on, I’m thinking if the bead came off it would’ve been a lot worse. I check my pressures before most rides and top off with my Lexin P5 if needed, I think TPMS would be something else I’d get obsessive about lol

I’m pretty sure it held on, I’m thinking if the bead came off it would’ve been a lot worse. I check my pressures before most rides and top off with my Lexin P5 if needed, I think TPMS would be something else I’d get obsessive about lol
Glad it all worked out, they seem like a good place to deal with. I like the cheap TPMS sensors that I use with an app on the phone. They go red and beep if it drops below my set threshold. What part of the country are you in?