New Shoes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaelaria

Reaction score
Well, I was getting very nice milage out of the stock Z6's, with over 7k and tons of tread left. However, during my routine inspection last week, I noticed what looked like a grenade had gone off and it was all stuck in my tires. No idea where it came from, and I wasn't leaking air - but I sure wouldn't have trusted repairs. So $450 later I now have new Z6's and she's good to go again, hopefully for at least another 7k+.

What suprised me was how different the ride had become over the 7k, and I just didn't notice. With the new shoes on, cornering is sharper, and it feels like it's balanced on 1" of tread rather than 4".

So even though I didn't like having to spend the money sooner than planned, it's nice to have the better handling back :) Too bad they can't perform the same all the way down...

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what you mean. The last time I changed tires I guess the flat spot was worse then I thought. When I left the dealer I had a new bike.

So $450 later I now have new Z6's and she's good to go again, hopefully for at least another 7k+.
What suprised me was how different the ride had become over the 7k, and I just didn't notice. With the new shoes on, cornering is sharper, and it feels like it's balanced on 1" of tread rather than 4".
$450? Ouch!!

Thats why I went to the Metzler ME880, cheaper, harder compound (meant for Touring rigs like the 1200LT/goldwing/heavy cruisers etc). My Z6's were toast at 4000 miles (really not good after 3000) and the FJR being a heavy sporttourer makes the Z6 and such $$$. I decided to try to 880 and got 14,000 miles out of a set and just put on another set. I ride fairly brisk in the mtns and am happy with the handling and still amazed at the tire life. Oh yeah dealer charged about $350 for the set installed.

Steve

$450 does sound steep, but at least your happy with the new skins.

FYI, A lot of places will match the online tire deals. I bought my Diablo Stradas from Dennis Kirk and had the dealer match + shipping and saved close to $100. Mounted and Balanced for $250.

Then again I've been to places that aren't so nice and charge you more to M & B if you bring in your own tires...

They do match prices, but no dealers in the areas have them in stock. Online prices + shipping were within spitting distance of the shop price.

My shop mounts and balances for free so I'll take there price. Haven't had new tires on the FJR yet so I can't tell you a price comparison.

Hey Steve... I can't beleive that you are on your third set of tires. Shame on me...I just got the rear tire of the pair that I ordered a month ago. Those PR2s are sneaky; Boy, I am still waiting for the front. We have to plan to do another ride and invite Tom. Perhaps would be better to do it in the south part of town this time do to the weather, ...Oconee Natl Park may be, but if is ok up in the mountains, then mountains will be! Take it easy.

BERDE

Do you know what the designation on the Metzeler tires represent? I can’t find he answer. I bought the OEM Metzeler

120/70 ZR17 Roadtec Z6G for the front and the

180/55 ZR17 Roadtec Z6C for the rear

What I want to know is what do the G and C stand for? They come in a bunch of flavors in this size with different letters, but those are the designation for the FJR.

Thanks

Gadi

I was very pleased to get over 10k miles on my original Z6's. Granted, there wasn't much left!

So I order a new set from SW Moto for $265.90 and had them mounted at my Yamaha shop for $16/ea. (wheels removed by me).

$297.90 total! ;)

HEY!!!!! No need to make "Karlaria" feel bad about his purchase. He paid what he thought was s good price to HIM. So why all the bantering about what you feel he did wrong??

Karlaria:

Thank you for posting that you feel like you have a new bike now from a tire change. Good Feeling isn't it???

And I'm sure you did your research and went with the deal that made you the most comfortable.

Daddysbike:

Thanks for suggesting a different approach with the ME880.

Be nice out there!!!!